• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rental car in Germany - Insurance needed??

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
Researching picking up a rental car in Munich and dropping in Frankfurt for 3 weeks - they only charge a small one way drop off fee. Hertz, as well as other companies, include liability insurance in their rental rates - which is great as our US car insurance policy provides no coverage for international car rentals. If I am reading the Hertz rental terms and conditions correctly, it states that liability coverage is unlimited.

Credit cards will provide for Collision coverage on overseas rentals.

As such, do I need to buy any type of additional insurance coverage on the rental car from Hertz?

What do you do when renting a car in Europe - this is our first time doing so in probably 15 yrs?

Thanks for any advice.

Joyce

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Researching picking up a rental car in Munich and dropping in Frankfurt for 3 weeks - they only charge a small one way drop off fee. Hertz, as well as other companies, include liability insurance in their rental rates - which is great as our US car insurance policy provides no coverage for international car rentals. If I am reading the Hertz rental terms and conditions correctly, it states that liability coverage is unlimited.

Credit cards will provide for Collision coverage on overseas rentals.

As such, do I need to buy any type of additional insurance coverage on the rental car from Hertz?

What do you do when renting a car in Europe - this is our first time doing so in probably 15 yrs?

Thanks for any advice.

Joyce
Be sure to check that the credit card you use will cover a 3-week rental. Some, at least in the US, cover only the first 2 weeks. Other than that, we have never done anything special (in Europe), except to break a 5-week rental into 2 parts so that we don't exceed the 1-month coverage limit our credit card provides. (Renting in Mexico is another story, though...and there are probably other exceptions.)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Be sure to check that the credit card you use will cover a 3-week rental. Some, at least in the US, cover only the first 2 weeks. Other than that, we have never done anything special (in Europe), except to break a 5-week rental into 2 parts so that we don't exceed the 1-month coverage limit our credit card provides. (Renting in Mexico is another story, though...and there are probably other exceptions.)
I think that if the rental is more than two weeks, none of it is covered. They only cover rentals of 15 days or less. Best to check the CDW coverage with the credit card to see the restrictions.

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
Thanks for your replies. For sure, we will check the days covered for each credit card. We just got back from 2 months in Hawaii - so checked that provision out a few months ago. One card covered up to 15 days, but the Citi Advantage AA card covered up to 31 days and also has no foreign transaction fees - so this will be the one to use. Just looked at the Benefits Guide sent with the card and it provides coverage up to $100K and is even primary coverage internationally ( good thing since our car insurance provides no coverage of overseas rentals).

I hate trying to understand insurance issues and hate paying a substantial amt for insurance not needed at $30 per day or more - really $630 for 21 days - it is more than the car rental.

I did have an accident once in England in a Leased Peugeot car when I was working over there for a few months and I have to admit, the company lived up to its zero deductible provision. Filed their accident report - returned the wrecked car upon departure, and did not hear from them again - great service! The only thing different was that in England, they do NOT send an officer to the accident scene unless there is an injury and I think that you file an accident report with the police yourself. I made a big stink about this with the police on the phone because the guy had really smashed my rental big time - so the lady officer appeased me by taking the report on the phone and provided me the accident report number. Luckily, in Germany, many residents speak some English, but I am certain that an accident would be a nightmare.