• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rental available at Wyndham Clearwater Beach Resort already?

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received an email from Wyndham Extra Holidays about Wyndham Clearwater Beach Resort rentals so I went online to check it out: https://bookings.ihotelier.com/Wynd...dhamvr-bentley-brook-book&Identifier=7DAYSALE . I was able to book a 7 night reservation as far out as December 2017, but I didn't. Are we the owners indirectly financing Wyndham ventures? They are grabbing WVR inventor 12 months out and before it is available to owners. It's not the hotel side/tower of the property because that is Wyndham Grand Clearwater: http://www.wyndhamgrandclearwater.com/. It's the Vacation Resort side/tower of the resort. Am I looking at this incorrectly or are they screwing us owners by taking inventory off the market for Wyndham Extra Holidays thus not making it available to the owners? Are they doing this at other nice high demand locations too? Any thoughts?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
The developer is currently the only owner of any Clearwater deeds....

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Following up on Ty's post. Until they sell this place by selling points the place has to be maintained and as the owner responsible for maintaining the place Wyndham should be allowed to recover those costs by renting what they own

At least thats what I think is happening

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received an email from Wyndham Extra Holidays about Wyndham Clearwater Beach Resort rentals so I went online to check it out: https://bookings.ihotelier.com/Wynd...dhamvr-bentley-brook-book&Identifier=7DAYSALE . I was able to book a 7 night reservation as far out as December 2017, but I didn't. Are we the owners indirectly financing Wyndham ventures? They are grabbing WVR inventor 12 months out and before it is available to owners. It's not the hotel side/tower of the property because that is Wyndham Grand Clearwater: http://www.wyndhamgrandclearwater.com/. It's the Vacation Resort side/tower of the resort. Am I looking at this incorrectly or are they screwing us owners by taking inventory off the market for Wyndham Extra Holidays thus not making it available to the owners? Are they doing this at other nice high demand locations too? Any thoughts?

My guess could be the units do not turn over to the trust until a certain date. Maybe rolling dates. Wyndham shoud be able to do what they want with their units until they (points) are sold. But are the units subject to more expensive damage in the first few months then later on?

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Gotta love the biggest megarenter of all - Extra Holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand Wyndham owns today and have the right to rent it, but if they rent it out through December 2017 and someone buys points there at the preview in February they are screwed if they intend to or are are made to believe by the sales weasels that they can make a reservation there for 2017.

I'm sure they are not selling deeded ownership there, but if they were and someone buys in February they'll be on the hook for maintenance fees for that resort even though they won't be able to stay there if it has been rented through 2017. For that matter this also applies to new CWA owner too. I'm just saying. . .

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand Wyndham owns today and have the right to rent it, but if they rent it out through December 2017 and someone buys points there at the preview in February they are screwed if they intend to or are are made to believe by the sales weasels that they can make a reservation there for 2017.

I'm sure they are not selling deeded ownership there, but if they were and someone buys in February they'll be on the hook for maintenance fees for that resort even though they won't be able to stay there if it has been rented through 2017. For that matter this also applies to new CWA owner too. I'm just saying. . .

Actually I don't think wyhdham owns anything. Some doctor built the place with his own money not wyndhams and Wyndham takes delivery on a "just in time" basis. So they never really own anything. It goes right from the developers ownership to the timeshare owners.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
There has to be a time period in there where Wyndham is holding the inventory with intent to sell it. As far as I've ever read, it isn't like it belongs to the Dr. until Mr. & Mrs. McSucker buy it from a salesmen, and then the deed is conferred from Dr. to the McSuckers.

I'd presume that the rentals are being offered based on forecasted transfers of unit blocks from builder to Wyndham.

I would also guess that Wyndham would also forecast availability needs for new purchasers and leave availability for those needs. Their attention at this point would be new Clearwater UDI owners being able to get the reservations they want, not particularly CWP at large.

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
There has to be a time period in there where Wyndham is holding the inventory with intent to sell it. As far as I've ever read, it isn't like it belongs to the Dr. until Mr. & Mrs. McSucker buy it from a salesmen, and then the deed is conferred from Dr. to the McSuckers.

Just have to say I love the name McSuckers for the people buying at retail from the sales weasels.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

I'd presume that the rentals are being offered based on forecasted transfers of unit blocks from builder to Wyndham.

I would also guess that Wyndham would also forecast availability needs for new purchasers and leave availability for those needs. Their attention at this point would be new Clearwater UDI owners being able to get the reservations they want, not particularly CWP at large.

Perhaps they take one condo at a time or a block of condos at a time but I'm confident they don't own anything for long

The "just in time" approach is an outgrowth of WAAM

The whole WAAM thing interests me a lot. I find it fascinating that a company can make money with little or no at risk capital.

Heres a short summary that was given in the 2nd quarter 2013 earnings call. The speaker here is Stephen P. Holmes - Chairman, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of Executive Committee

Note that in the original WAAM Wyndham acted as sales agent for the owners of the property

"In addition, we've completely revolutionized the timeshare industry by introducing a fee-for-service model, which results in even better cash flow and returns. We introduced the Wyndham Asset Affiliation Model, also known as WAAM, in the spring of 2009. Our first iteration, WAAM 1.0, is a pure asset-light fee-for-service model, where Wyndham Vacation Ownership uses its sales and marketing platform and expertise to sell completed inventory for third-party developers.

WAAM 1.0 has great returns, but there's a trade-off. Since we don't finance the consumer purchases, we give up EBITDA and growth. To address this issue, we introduced WAAM 2.0. In WAAM 2.0, Wyndham Vacation Ownership purchases completed inventory from a developer on a just-in-time basis, allowing us to finance the sale and capture the attractive consumer finance spread. In addition, it significantly collapses the time the asset is on our balance sheet, improving overall cash flow and returns compared with our traditional model. With WAAM 3.0, as with 2.0, we purchase the inventory on a just-in-time basis and we finance the consumer purchases. But in this case, we are working with a financial partner to make strategic investments for our future use.

This inventory is built to our specifications. It could either be ground-up development or using inventory from our balance sheet. In our first WAAM 3.0 transaction, our financial partner for this deal, Guggenheim, purchased from us land and work-in-process in Las Vegas for $87 million in cash and in note. They will finish the development and deliver it to us on a just-in-time basis.

We have approximately $180 million of land and work in process remaining on our balance sheet after the Las Vegas transaction, most of which is suitable for WAAM 3.0. In addition, we are already in discussions on ground-up development opportunities utilizing the WAAM 3.0 model. As we said on the last call, we believe that the majority of our timeshare sales within the next 3 to 5 years could be in an asset-light form, significantly improving the cash flow and returns from the business, a primary strategic focus of Wyndham Vacation Ownership and Wyndham Worldwide overall."

liquidmas

TUG Member
Reaction score
This Dr Patels third Wyndham hotel and second Wyndham Grand. He purchased the land 11 years ago and it sat as the worlds most expensive parking lot for a decade. I parked there many times.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
It could also be that Wyndham is renting out units as agent for Dr. up until inventory is transferred.

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Very interesting situation. So, I assume the 60-day rule precluding EH from taking inventory has been waived.

Quite the profit potential here. I priced a 7 day stay there during our spring break in a two bedroom deluxe unit. There was no "resort fee" added, so it appears the monolith is learning from the pending lawsuits. Here was the bottom line price for the two bedroom deluxe unit, after tax:
  • Room Subtotal $4,460.39.
The two bedroom presidential cost, after tax is:
  • Room Subtotal $4,638.37.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dr. Patel? Just curious, has anyone else watched the documentary "Meet the Patels?" Fascinating. And you find out that there are many, many, many Patels in the US hospitality industry.

#totallyofftopic #carryon