• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Red Sox Fans: Our fat 3rd baseman is now your fat 3rd baseman [update]

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I don't see Sandoval ever being the team leader that Ortiz is. Pablo is more of a big puppy, but he definitely might be your next DH.

Right? I didn't think he fit that role either, but from the rumblings on talkradio it seems the Sox brass put up the money thinking that he can grow into it. Hahaha - but no pun intended. :D

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Right? I didn't think he fit that role either, but from the rumblings on talkradio it seems the Sox brass put up the money thinking that he can grow into it. Hahaha - but no pun intended. :D

He's more like everybody's little brother. Bruce Boche, the Mgr. always said, "Pablo is like my kid."

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave - The Giants offered him the SAME money/deal - the Giants said so this morning.

I just heard on one of the national podcasts (Colin Cowherd on ESPN) that I listen to that its really not the same money because of the super high taxes in California. Over the life of the deal he will end up making an extra 7.5 million with the tax savings.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I heard the tax thing too, but I also heard Giant's VP, Larry Evans, say that the Giants were prepared to go higher, but Pablo wanted to go to Boston. He also implied that it would have taken a huge offer to change his mind, and I don't think the Giants are willing to give Sandoval more than a hundred million, or more than 6 years, because of his weight and conditioning issues.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Flannery discussed that on Facebook and on KNBR - he has been in baseball for 33 years, he's accomplished his goals, he is tired, and ready to retire and do some other things.

Last edited:

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
He wanted to go because of the aspect of new challenges (and the money of course…) - I can understand this after being on a winning NL team (3 WS Rings in 5 years)
I am not a believer in over-paying for players (the list goes on and on) - so happy trails to Panda…

Not a good 3rd baseman? (stops balls in his gut?) - you have watched him play over the last 5 years right? - you may not like his style, but he has super quick reflexes…???

In 6500+ Innings at 3B his Fielding% is 0.960 (average) - he was 6th in F% in 2014.
His LBA is ~0.300
His key hits and key fielding plays are numerous.

Compared to Will Middlebrooks (most appearances as RedSox 3B in 2014) - Pablo looks like superman...

Yes I have watched most games on my TV or in the ball park and stand by my post! I will agree he has quick reflexes for a fat guy but no range. He doesn't get errors for the balls he can't get to so even though your giving figures they don't mean much if he doesn't get close enough to touch a ball.:crash:

How many times have we seen him being move closer to third to protect the line and he dives for the ball never touching it or the hit in the hole of third and shortstop and he again dives but can't get a ball four feet from him..:wall:

This was his best season because he did get the weight off but by the end he had put 25-30 lbs back on .If you think he was so good then why did many close games last few years have him on the bench in the 9th and the backup playing 3rd? You notice during Cains no hitter who played 3rd in the ninth inning and made the last out. I would bet if the Panda stayed in the game that play wouldn't have been made unless he was standing on the bag.

PHILL12

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I'm one of those Giants fans that is not heartbroken over Panda's departure. Panda had a relatively injury-free year in 2014, but such has not been the case during his career--and some of those injuries (not all) can be directly attributed to his weight. So yeah--I'm one of those fans who thinks that signing Panda to a 5-6 year deal would have been a big and expensive mistake. Hopefully, we've learned our lesson after the Barry Zito fiasco.

Regardless, Panda gave us Giants fans some wonderful memories, especially in the postseason where he seems to turn it up about three gears higher.

The Giants released a very classy statement yesterday to announce his departure:

"Pablo Sandoval has been a key member of the Giants since breaking into the Majors with us in 2008. He has been with us through some of the greatest moments in Giants history, including all three World Series Championships.

We will never forget his World Series MVP performance in 2012 and his numerous contributions to the 2014 championship. His connection with Giants fans--young and old--is truly special and he will be greatly missed. We wish him nothing but the best in Boston."

A classy sendoff from a classy organization.

rosebud5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who cares how fat he is as long as he can play. Baseball isn't exactly a strenuous game and he did the smart thing to prolong his career.

This actually strikes a little nerve with me in that one league has a DH and the other doesn't? I personally do not like the DH. I like to see pitchers stand at the plate and get a little of what they like to serve up. Nothing like watching a pitcher get an high inside fast ball.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who cares how fat he is as long as he can play. Baseball isn't exactly a strenuous game and he did the smart thing to prolong his career.

This actually strikes a little nerve with me in that one league has a DH and the other doesn't? I personally do not like the DH. I like to see pitchers stand at the plate and get a little of what they like to serve up. Nothing like watching a pitcher get an high inside fast ball.

Agree.

"I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. " Crash Davis, Bull Durham.

-

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Who cares how fat he is as long as he can play.

• He's 5'll" - and his "published" weight has been as high as 285 lb.

• He plays 3rd base - to play good defense, he has to be quick on his feet.

• Excess weight slows a player down on the base paths.

• Excess weight contributes to injuries and shortens careers.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI

i agree with this. My dad always said, if you can hit they'll find a place for you to
Play. This still holds true. He did fine at third base and if some one comes along that can hit and play
The position better, they'll move him. No different if he's fat or fit. If he
Keeps hitting no one will complain, he got a double instead of a triple. That's
Not the type of hitter he is. There are plenty of skinny players that are hurt often
And have short careers too. Big men can play too but no one complains about
Weight until they stop hitting. Sports careers are generally short and teams
Just ride these players until they don't produce. Babe Ruth is still arguably the
Best who ever played.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jeff - Those are good points, but here is the REAL question - Do you give a player like this a long contract?

Because whether he can play or not, you have to pay him. In this case - about $20 Million a year for 5 years.

To keep Sandoval, the Giants would have had to give him more money and more years - and they decided that wasn't a good bet.

It was a safer bet for the Red Sox - because he can DH for them, even if he can't play 3rd base.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
The long term contract is always a gamble and might not be bad but it can
Depend on the guaranteed money. I live in Brewer country and because it's
A small market team, they can't afford to make mistakes with big contracts.
It took them years to recover from some long term signings in the 80's and
90's.

Slightly off topic, the Bears sure are wondering about their long term deal with
Jay Cutler and he's not fat.:D

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The long term contract is always a gamble

The Giants have given several other players longer contracts than the one they offered Sandoval, but after struggling with his inability to maintain his weight and conditioning for years, they decided a long contract was not a good bet with Sandoval.

Only time will tell.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
A lot of times the long term contracts are really short term contracts with a long term payout to avoid cap or luxury tax issues.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yep, he'll definately fit in with Boston, as long as he keeps hitting. There have
Been a lot of long term contracts that have ruined teams for a really long time.

You'll have to pity me, I've been a White Sox fan all my life. Great memories of
My dad taking my brother and I to games, even when they stunk but we still
Watched every game. I'm still on cloud nine that they won it all in my lifetime
And before my dad passed away. At least we have it better than Cub fans.
Sorry Cub fans.:D

joewillie12

TUG Member
Reaction score
The long term contract is always a gamble and might not be bad but it can
Depend on the guaranteed money. I live in Brewer country and because it's
A small market team, they can't afford to make mistakes with big contracts.
It took them years to recover from some long term signings in the 80's and
90's.

Slightly off topic, the Bears sure are wondering about their long term deal with
Jay Cutler and he's not fat.:D
Baseball is always guaranteed money unless a law is broken [steriods] unlike football. Players union stronger in BB. Red Sox becoming like their hated big brother the Yankees spending like George Steinbrenner use to. Red Sox once implied the Yanks were the evil empire do to their spending habits on free agents and trades. Sox still need a starting pitcher which they most likely will spend huge dollars on. Little brother is growing up

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't really mind some teams spending a ton, nothing is guaranteed.
Just the nature of the game now.

joewillie12

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't really mind some teams spending a ton, nothing is guaranteed.
Just the nature of the game now.
Baseball is really the only sport that allows crazy spending because of no salary cap. Developing a competitive team through your farm system is truly an art. The Twins and Marlins were masters at doing this. Unfortunately these teams would lose their good players in a few years to the big spenders in the bigger markets. Its nice to see teams like the Royals and Pirates succeed for a change.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's what I mean by nature of the game now. It's been that way for decades. Some teams always surprise and then a few manage to take it all the way.

I still follow my White Sox but not like I did when I lived in Chicago and went
To a lot of games.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
To summarize this thread: he was great while we had him, winning two championships for us. But he chose to go to the AL to prolong his career, so now he's just a has-been fatso who can't play defense .

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I guess that's my point, he's always been big and he may not be a has been yet.
He may even help Boston. Maybe I'm just being over sensitive to the term fatso.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To summarize this thread: he was great while we had him, winning two championships for us. But he chose to go to the AL to prolong his career, so now he's just a has-been fatso who can't play defense .

Let's take this from another angle:

Would you have preferred that the Giants signed him for 6 years, for $100 Million or more?

Or are you just saying that you don't think we should discuss his weaknesses as a player? :shrug:

His weight and conditioning have been widely discussed in the media.

Last edited: