• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Recommendation for Toddler Friendly Resorts

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're a family of four with a just one year old and an almost three year old, and I'm working on planning our vacation for next winter (ie Jan-Feb 2018) when the boys will be 2 and 4 respectively. I'd appreciate any suggestions on toddler friendly resorts. We have both RCI and II, and I would be very open to renting from an owner if necessary, so I'm more concerned about finding the right fit than availability. We'd be flying anywhere, so I'm not too concerned about location either, although I'd like to keep it Western Hemisphere.

The things that are really important to us are:

weather - winter is cold here, we'd like somewhere at least warm-ish,

pool/water slides - our older son loves water slides, but can't swim well enough to do ones that drop into a pool, so ones that end in their own catch basin are way better, and a lazy river/splash park would be great

beach - a beach would be nice but not necessary, but if we do one we'd like something very calm. We went to Maui last year, and found the water at the Westin villas too rough, so we ended up driving to baby beach in Lahaina often.

activities - both our boys are high energy, so activities are nice: mini golf and shuffleboard were both huge hits in Maui, and off resort activities like acquarium, zoos, theme parks, etc have also been fun.

We'd be looking for at least a 2 bedroom unit (bonus points for three bedrooms). I'm not sure what our best bet would be, and appreciate any and all suggestions.

2rebecca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I took my then 4, 3 and 2 year olds to Marriott's Harbour Lake a couple of years ago. It is really great for those ages, but I'm not sure Orlando weather is warm enough for the water activities that time of year. It has a pirate ship in one pool, a water slide in another pool and a splash pad area. It also has mini golf and arcade/game room although I don't recall the games in there.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I took my then 4, 3 and 2 year olds to Marriott's Harbour Lake a couple of years ago. It is really great for those ages, but I'm not sure Orlando weather is warm enough for the water activities that time of year. It has a pirate ship in one pool, a water slide in another pool and a splash pad area. It also has mini golf and arcade/game room although I don't recall the games in there.

Thanks! I'll check that out, even if it doesn't end up being for a winter trip.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We took our daughters to Hawaii starting when the oldest was about 18 months old. As long as they had a pool they were happy. We loved our resort, Maui Lea at Maui Hill, because the units are large and they feel like home. I was never worried that my kids were going to ruin something. Besides a pool (just a regular one, no slides or anything fancy) they have a huge grass area with a shuffleboard court and a putting green. All of that was enough for us.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you have passports (or passport cards) for the kids? They're required.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you have passports (or passport cards) for the kids? They're required.

Yes. Our kids actually have two passports, as my wife is a Canadian-Irish dual citizen. They've both already been to the US, so we have passports for both boys.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
We took our daughters to Hawaii starting when the oldest was about 18 months old. As long as they had a pool they were happy. We loved our resort, Maui Lea at Maui Hill, because the units are large and they feel like home. I was never worried that my kids were going to ruin something. Besides a pool (just a regular one, no slides or anything fancy) they have a huge grass area with a shuffleboard court and a putting green. All of that was enough for us.

We've taken our older son to Maui before. When he was 2, his absolute favourite thing at the Westin was the shuffleboard. I completely agree that fancy isn't a necessity, but it's sometimes hard to tell what is toddler friendly from a website, especially things like pool depths. Our older son is big enough that he doesn't like getting carried in the pool, but can't swim yet.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We've taken our older son to Maui before. When he was 2, his absolute favourite thing at the Westin was the shuffleboard. I completely agree that fancy isn't a necessity, but it's sometimes hard to tell what is toddler friendly from a website, especially things like pool depths. Our older son is big enough that he doesn't like getting carried in the pool, but can't swim yet.
I honestly can't remember how deep the pool is. I'm pretty sure it's shallow at both ends and deeper in the middle, but don't know how many feet the shallow parts are. When our girls were little and not yet able to swim we were usually always in the pool with them. We had a pool at home so both of them learned how to swim pretty early on and when they got to that point we'd let them in the pool by themselves, but we were also poolside keeping an eye on them.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I'm in Orlando now at the Bluegreen Fountains. This resort is nice. Not Marriott but nice. They have a pool that is half indoor/ half outdoor which is nice for when the weather isn't quite warm enough for swimming. Also, they said they heat the pools over Winter starting next week. I suspect many of the Orlando resorts would have an indoor or heated pool. One of the water parks is open still too.

I'm from Vegas and this Orlando weather is nice and warm. Right now it's about 60 in Vegas and it's about 80 in Orlando. Very nice. But I'm not sure I'd come to Orlando just to hang by the pools. There's just so much to do here that honestly we are not even using our resort except to sleep and eat breakfast and dinner.
---

One thing to keep in mind with kids: they tend to play more around other kids, which means that scheduling vacations during off season might mean that you become their number one toy. Off-season saves money and small crowds for busy stuff, but prime season means there are friends to play with at the resort.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you planning on exchanging? How about Mexico? Lots of Albertans Winter in Cabo, Mazatlan, P.V. areas.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I can't think of a better resort for kids that like pools, waterslides, lazy rivers and the beach/ocean than the Grand Mayan in Nuevo Vallarta. A great staff for other kids activities (arts and crafts, etc.) as well. Not a bad flight from Calgary.

Kurt

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Royal Solaris (AI) in San Jose del Cabo has a large children's play area with shallow pools and a multitude of water slides that look like different animals that is separate from the main pool areas. If you belong to a Costco there are good deals on the Costco Travel Site for this Resort. Each time we visit there are lots of families with children.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't think of a better resort for kids that like pools, waterslides, lazy rivers and the beach/ocean than the Grand Mayan in Nuevo Vallarta. A great staff for other kids activities (arts and crafts, etc.) as well. Not a bad flight from Calgary.
Kurt

I was thinking of this resort, too. Any of the Nuevo Vallarta Vidanta properties would be fun with the kids - Grand Mayan (RCI), Grand Bliss (RCI), or Grand Luxxe (II). We've traded into a 3BR in Grand Luxxe a couple of times, and those suites are REALLY nice!

Another kid favorite is Atlantis in the Bahamas. The onsite timeshare is Harborside (II). Our little ones love exploring the aquariums, fish ponds, lazy river, and the play pool areas. The Harborside timeshare pool is zero entry and is usually quiet.

Our kids also really liked staying at Kings' Land HGVC (RCI) on the Big Island of Hawaii. There is a nice pool at Kings' Land with a sandy beach and slides, and you have full access to the big pools and ocean lagoon at the Hilton Resort. Lots to see/do on the Big Island.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Cypress Pointe resort (Orlando FL -- 1 mile from the main gate to Disney Springs) has a super-nice dinosaur playground, plus a fun interactive play fountain for kids where the old kiddie pool used to be.

Full Disclosure: I formerly owned at Cypress Pointe -- twice -- & was briefly a member of the Owner Advisory Committee under the late & lamented independent HOA.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
May I suggest Marriott Grande Vista. Awesome, for young toddlers.

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm going to second Marriott Harbour Lake. There is just so much activity going on at the resort, that our kids did not want to go to Walt Disney World just so they could spend more time on property. The kid's club there was one of the best I've seen.

There were two pools, one just for little ones, plus a splash pad, mini-golf, night time activities around a fire pit, a sports court and weekly pool and dance parties. Convenient location too!

Centurion

Reaction score
A suggestion that has not been offered on this thread is Orange Lake Resort by Holiday Inn Club. This is an extremely friendly family resort. It is certainly not the fanciest place on the planet but if you care about having a lot of fun activities for the kids this place is great. The reason this resort popped into my head was that you specifically mentioned a lazy river and this resort is notable for one.

Here's a link to see some pictures but of course you can trade into here pretty easily using banked credits.

My kids don't care if we're at a fancy place. They only care that there's lots of fun stuff to do and we can make great memories while doing them. I hope you find a great place to go! Enjoy.

https://m.ihg.com/hotels/holidayinnclubvacations/us/en/hoteldetail/discv

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I agree Orange Lake is very family friendly. We own a week here and enjoy the resort especially River Island. Also belong to HICV and we use our points to travel to other affiliated resorts and hotels. You should be able to trade into thru RCI or find a rental thru TUG when you become a member.
Silentg

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
The best resort for kids I've been to is the Welk at Escondido, CA. There are 3 sections with various pools and play areas focused on different age kids. The splash pad is at Villas on the Greens (middle section), the water slide is at Mountain (up the hill, newer but not as convenient) and the Resort Villas has 3 different pools areas with a different age focus (including one that is adults only). The Resort Villas are large and very comfortable with fewer stairs and lots of lawn space outside and there's a fishing pond. Escondido is NE of San Diego and about a half hour from the beach to the west. In Jan and Feb, the locals think it's too cold but those of us from the north think the 60-70 degree days are mighty nice compared to winter back home. Welk is a fairly easy trade for that time as well.

Sue

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
Holiday Inn Club Vacation - Orange Lake (Orlando as others have said) easy to get into via RCI/II, cocoa beach (Easy access) Both have a 1/4 use so you will need to find some others

Hilton Grand Vacation Club - Seaworld, tuscany village, parc soleil (I believe they all have slides/pools/activities

Wyndham Bonnett Creek hard to find via RCI/II. You can rent from many owners

Wyndham Ocean Walk (Daytona Beach, FL)

Wyndham Reunion (nice water park and splash parks. our 2.5 year old loves it. but not walking friendly a car is a must)

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm going to second Marriott Harbour Lake. There is just so much activity going on at the resort, that our kids did not want to go to Walt Disney World just so they could spend more time on property. The kid's club there was one of the best I've seen.

There were two pools, one just for little ones, plus a splash pad, mini-golf, night time activities around a fire pit, a sports court and weekly pool and dance parties. Convenient location too!

I will offer up my "3rd" for Harbor Lake in Orlando. By far the best Marriott in Orlando for families with younger kids. They always have some organized activity from simple crafts all the way to magic shows. Right around the corner from Discovery Cove, SeaWorld and Aquatica. Easy drive to Disney and Universal. No shuffleboard there....but with all the other things offered, not an issue. Also, in terms of size....this resort I would consider small. No matter where you room location is, you can walk. Which is very nice with little ones.

The only issue would be Jan & Feb in Orlando may not pull the pool weather you desire. Max at Harbor Lake would be a 2BR.

Marriott Surf Club in Aruba also has a lot of what you desire and the weather would be great!

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, this resort via RCI. I have never been there, but it has been on my bucket list as it looks great for people with kids.

Holiday Inn Club Vacations Cape Canaveral Beach Resort (#6988)
Cape Canaveral, FL 32920, USA
icon_mapResort.png

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Many of the places recommended could be too chilly to swim. For Orlando, I would research if the pool is heated and then look at reviews of exactly how heated. DVC does a good job of heating their pools in the winter.
I would also suggest Aruba. We also like HGVC on the Big Island. Some of the HGVC have privileges at the Hilton, which includes many pools and a sand bottom large toddler pool. The slide might drop into a pool, but adding a small life jacket works well for this. The BIG bonus is a large lagoon with sea turtles and fish, where tot can swim and you can snorkel. It's man-made, so no surf/waves. My 3 yr old splashed around in knee deep water with sea turtles and had a ball in the very large sand bottom baby pool filling buckets of sand, while I sat in a hammock (within arms reach) for many hours.

Centurion

Reaction score
Many of the places recommended could be too chilly to swim.

Good point. Mayan Palace in Nuevo Vallarta is very nice. They have a lazy river at the Grand Mayan there and it is very kid friendly. Mexico resorts have been offering huge discounts so you may not even need to trade into it. Call them directly and see if you can put together an all-inclusive package for a week.

Here is the website: http://www.vidanta.com/resort-hotels/the-grand-mayan

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any Disney Vacation Club resort There's a small slide for the 3 year old at most resort pools and plenty to do at the resorts without even going to a theme park.