• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Recent HGVC Presention

DaSoul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet
We just went to a timeshare presentation at the Parc Soleil location in Orlando this past Wednesday. We were about to buy but the Sales Manager came by and said that the contract couldn't be processed as the contract team went home. So the manager said we had more time to think about it. They did lock in our offer by having us sign a single electronic document but they arranged for us to come in at 8:30 to proceed with the contract.

We ultimately decided not to buy (Which I think is a good thing considering the resale market) However, I did receive an email at 10AM yesterday saying "On behalf of Hilton Grand Vacations, we are delighted that you have chosen to pursue membership in Hilton Grand Vacations Club!"

We were literally on the plane ready to take off but I texted the sales person that we worked with during the presentation saying that if this was true to next day me whatever contract or whatever for my review. I read up about the "cooling off" period and if we did sign up then my plan is to rescind the contract. At the time, he didnt return my text. I did talk to him last night after we finally got settled and he said there are like 20 signatures you have to make to close the deal and that no we were not at the time in the program. Does this sound right? Should I push them harder for more information regarding this? Did we in fact join the club or should I feel comfortable about the fact he said there were lots of signatures that needed to happen and that we are not signed up into the program?

I appreciate the time and the advice on this issue.

Thanks,

Scott

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
Having recently bought from the developer I would say indeed it is true, there were like 20 signatures required. I believe at one point even a notary came in. Signing a "single electronic document" to me doesn't sound like you are locked into anything. Also, I was required to put down an initial down payment. I wouldn't worry at all about being locked into some kind of HGVC contract but I would f/u today just to confirm, it can't hurt.

DaSoul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet
Well for the initial payment I did apply for the Amex card with free hilton points and 12 months no interest and they said they would put it on that card. They took that credit card information. But I just registered the card to my American Express account and there is no pending charge on my card at this time. So I think I feel comfortable that we are indeed not members. Now I can investigate the resale market because it did sound interesting. The lower buy in of the resale market sounds better. It sure seems like the resale market is the way to go. And based on my reading the whole is Elite worth it question has been asked alot.

I am still a little bit confused about the points because they never mentioned "home resort" or "home week". But as I understand it based on this forum it would be like this. Although my wife just mentioned 1 BR home resort or something she saw it on one of the papers. If they sold us 3400 every other year they maybe were selling us a gold season 1 bedroom and if you use it during the home "gold season" week 7 night stay that it would use up all those 3400 points. Am I understanding that correctly? The MF was was 140 or so off season with it being 860 ish for the on season. The idea of getting points and using them for Valdoro sounds interesting but from what I have been reading unless Valdoro is your home resort it might be a little difficult to get availability during those "platinum" travel times. Or does anyone know if trying to book Valdoro 9 months out is do able in actuality if its not your home resort?

Looks like our inability to say yes to their deal was a blessing for us and kept us from buying overpriced points. I should have done this research before we went to the presentation but my wife and I had already said in our mind that we weren't interested and that we weren't going to buy. But my wife is interested in travelling more, I like to make her happy, and it sounded like a good deal the way they sell it so we had a hard time flat out saying no.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Be thankful you dodged a bullet and study the HGVC portfolio and find out exactly which resorts you are interested in, during what season, and how large a unit. Then and only then should you buy points, resale. Look for platinum units because they provide more points for the same maintenance fee. MF is by size in HGVC, not season.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Congratulations for your ability to now research and determine where you would like to travel and for how often (and of course for not purchasing retail). You are already starting to ask some good questions. I will try to help provide some answers to your questions.

In general, MFs are determine by room size at each resort location. So a 3 bedroom would be more than a 1 bedroom. MFs will be the same for the various seasons. So, it would be better to purchase in premium season (just considering MFs and not taking into account purchase price). There is a sticky at the top of the HGVC forum which list most of the MFs for various HGVC properties. The 15 2017 HGVC Resorts with the lowest MFs can be found here. (I think that you are getting confused on MFs during the sales presentations. MFs for a 1-bedroom was probably ~$860. The $140 was probably open season rate somewhere which is dependant upon season.

IMHO, I personally think that 3500 points is too small to even consider purchasing. It will not provide enough options. For example, 1 bedroom platinum week at Valdoro would be 4800 points. I personally don't plan to stay in a Studio. But it would let you "try out" the system.

Now specifically Valdoro, we do own Valdoro ski season 3-bedroom. If you are thinking about trying to book ski season at Valdoro, I would recommend purchasing your home week there (for ski season). It might be doable to book ski season but you would need to be very flexible. (I see more openings at Park City than Valdoro for ski season) If you are thinking of summer weeks, then this I see as doable to book during club reservations at 9 months out. I have personally also booked the summer weeks there at Valdoro during club reservations for several years now.

I hope this helps clarify.

Last edited:

DaSoul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet
Thanks for the replies. When I said off season and on season I meant off point year and on point year. It was an every other year offer and how I was thinking about using it would be to on our off year rescue points from the previous year and borrow points from the next year to give us 6800 in points to use for what when we wanted to visit. That would have given us a big trip every 4 years with using the 30 day offer (cash rates) for just random off the cuff travel. I work from home and can pretty much work from anywhere as well as the fact that we would be home schooling. So for the year of no points it was 140 and for the year with points it was 860ish.

In any case though I agree, if we are going to do it I would rather get points every year say 7k or 5k even annually and on the off years maybe where we would travel I would let my relatives use them for the price of the maintenance fee for example and get the TS for a much cheaper rate on the resale market.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
So for the year of no points it was 140 and for the year with points it was 860ish.

Understand now what you were trying to say. Just to let you know, EOY resales are super cheap. Many times, the seller will need to give some incentives (like pay closing cost) in order to sell the TS.

Anyway, the linked thread has the current fee schedule for HGVC (http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...n-rates-are-they-out-yet.249351/#post-1954752). Your sales rep misquoted the correct price HGVC annual dues. It is now $159 instead of $140.

DaSoul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet
Thanks... the numbers I quoted were just rough numbers from memory. It was pretty much around 1k every two years when you average out the two years. Thanks!

onenotesamba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World, HGVC Boulevard/Strip
The $860 was probably the maintenance fees for the unit, and the $140 was probably referring to the annual membership fee, for just being in the club. But it's not $140 anymore--more like $159 or so.

Read up around here on the program. It's a good program if you buy resale, and if you get the right amount of points that you'll use--not too many, and not too few. Plot out roughly how many vacations you'll take each year, in what locations and in what size units, compare that to the points charts that are available online, and then try to find a resale unit where you can get about that number of total points in a platinum week at a property with low membership fees, and at a good buy-in price from a reputable resale agent.

DaSoul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet
Yes that is what I am finding out. The developer prices are ridiculous. I found a 16800 point contract on the resale market provides almost 5 times the buying power on a per vacation basis but only cost 1.25 times the cost of what they were selling on a per vacation basis amortized out over a 30 year period. Not that I am looking to buy that many points but its certainly something that someone could use to enjoy travel more so than what they were originally selling. My eyes are open to the resale market for sure.

I don't know about this site but this listing seems like a steal based on what I am seeing from other sites. But this is just if you want this many points.

http://www.sellmytimesharenow.com/timeshares/index/content/details/AdNumber/2309436/sale/

Am I missing some big downside to this many points if someone had family that could use the points up and just pay a pro rated price for the maintenance fee? I guess if nobody wanted to use the points you would be stuck with the MF but it still seems like a good deal. My math says this is a pretty good deal from a points standpoint. Granted if you werent going to use the points then its isnt a deal regardless of how much it cost.

Just curious how does it work if you buy multiple contracts from different locations. Like I did see a 5000 points contract being sold for 3k but it was for gold points. What if someone bought that and other contracts at different places but had no intention of using them at the home resort. Can they all be declined and then use the points together for a single trip to one single location? I read something that makes me think there are gotchas like the points need to be available in the same month or something.

onenotesamba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Home resort makes a difference if you need a certain property at a certain time of the year. If you want a prime ski week at Valdoro or Sunrise, you're not likely to get exactly what you want, if you don't have a home resort there. Same with Waikiki during the prime season--school holidays. Otherwise, points are points, and you can use them anywhere.

We've been resale owners for a little more than a year, at this point, and we technically own at Vegas Boulevard and Sea World. So far, we've used points, open season, and the VIP package that we purchased at our first presentation to travel to Vegas a couple of times, mostly at Elara because of location, Myrtle Beach for a big family vacation where we booked multiple units so that we could travel with my sister and niece, Kings Land on the Big Island for another family vacation with my brother-in-law and his wife and kids, and a ski weekend (well, for me it was more of a "falling down" weekend) in a studio at Sunrise. The Sunrise weekend was something we lucked into. It happened to be available at almost exactly the 9-month reservation window, it was Dr. King's birthday weekend in January, so we had a three day weekend coming, so I pounced on it. Ideally, we'd have been in at least a 1 bedroom, but since we were able to find it, we grabbed it.

I'll say this--I booked a recent hotel stay in Orlando for pretty much the open season rates, just through the Hilton website. And I've also recently started a travel business with my spouse, so I'm now getting access to travel agent rates for hotels (not to mention cruises and tours), and, honestly, I'm thinking that as much as I love the HGVC product, there are definitely cheaper ways for me to travel. Like, in Vegas, I'm rarely in my room, and don't really need the kitchen, since we're eating out the whole time.

DaSoul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet
Home resort makes a difference if you need a certain property at a certain time of the year. If you want a prime ski week at Valdoro or Sunrise, you're not likely to get exactly what you want, if you don't have a home resort there. Same with Waikiki during the prime season--school holidays. Otherwise, points are points, and you can use them anywhere.

Ok Yeah. That is what I was thinking. I understand the prime weeks at those resorts are hard to get with club bookings vs home resort bookings. Appreciate the help. I would love to have that type of package at say Valdoro but from my research they dont sell for that cheap.

But any input on this?

Just curious how does it work if you buy multiple contracts from different locations. Like I did see a 5000 points contract being sold for 3k but it was for gold points. What if someone bought that and other contracts at different places but had no intention of using them at the home resort. Can they all be declined and then use the points together for a single trip to one single location? I read something that makes me think there are gotchas like the points need to be available in the same month or something.

onenotesamba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes. In fact, I own two one-bedroom platinum weeks--one at Sea World and one at Vegas Boulevard. So, my combined points are 9600 from two 4800 point weeks, and I combined them last summer to book a 1 bedroom unit and a two bedroom unit at Myrtle Beach for the same week (1 BR for my spouse and me, 2 BR for my sister and her family). They put us next to each other.

Next year, I'm having a milestone birthday (21 at last!) and I'll be using my combined points for a big suite at Elara.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Ok Yeah. That is what I was thinking. I understand the prime weeks at those resorts are hard to get with club bookings vs home resort bookings. Appreciate the help. I would love to have that type of package at say Valdoro but from my research they dont sell for that cheap.

But any input on this?

All points are awarded Jan 1 for every HGVC owner, and have to be used in that calendar year or saved for a fee to the next year.

That is a nice package of points, but its priced a little high at $20K, should be more like $16-17K (about $1 a point)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaSoul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet
All points are awarded Jan 1 for every HGVC owner, and have to be used in that calendar year or saved for a fee to the next year.

That is a nice package of points, but its priced a little high at $20K, should be more like $16-17K (about $1 a point)

How does that work if you have a Valdoro timeshare? That wouldn't give you time to plan for a January ski trip. Or does Valdoro only sell in fixed weeks with points you cash your weeks out as?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I will try my best to address some of your questions.

As others have said (you can search on the BB for comments concerning :
Seth Nock at www.sellingtimeshares.net
Judi Kozlowski at www.judikoz.com

Both are highly regarded brokers who's firms specialize in HGVC. I have personally used Judi Kozlowski. I like having the "peace of mind" using a known solution. I don't know anything about SMTN but others have made comments concerning this seller (http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/smtn-sellmytimesharenow-com.244142/). You can search them on the BB for additional comments.

I show the 2-Br MFs for the Boulevard as being the sixth lowest in the Hilton System. So that is good. The MFs should be $821.23 x 2. This would bring the total to $1642.46. There would also be HGVC annual club fee of $159. If you total everything that would be ~$1800. (I am a detailed person so I would check with the seller on why the numbers don't add up).

If this is only 1 deed and only 1 set of inventory (If it were me, I would double check this), then there should be only 1 set of closing cost and transfer fees. HGVC will charge a

Membership Transfer Fee $399
Club Inventory Activation Fee (Enrollment Fee) (Purchased through Third Party or Private Sale) $560​

The benefit of one large purchase over several smaller purchases is only one set of closing cost and fees. The closing cost and fees will be approximately the same for each purchase.

As SmithOp has already stated, the purchase price for this inventory by SMTN is a little high. The general "rule of thumb" is $1/point for resale inventory.

Currently, when I log into my HGVC account, I see all my points available for use:

Bonus Points: total remaining amount
Remaining Points 2017: amount
Remaining Points 2018: amount
Remaining Points 2019: amount​

Now, I have already made my Valdoro Home week reservation for 2018 Winter Ski Season. So, my 2018 total points have been reduced by that amount.

I hope that helps.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
How does that work if you have a Valdoro timeshare? That wouldn't give you time to plan for a January ski trip. Or does Valdoro only sell in fixed weeks with points you cash your weeks out as?

You can book a reservation for what you own one year in advance, I imagine owners booked the 2018 presidents week this past weekend.

There are some fixed weeks in the system with automatic booking, Hilton calls them Event weeks.

DaSoul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet
Thanks. I think I am figuring this out. The you get points on the first was a little confusing. I can book my home resort 12 months out. But if I choose not to book a 2018 home resort (or my specific suite in my home resort) then those points are available on January 1st of 2018 unless I borrow them. If I don't borrow them then I can use those points all the way up to the end of 2018 to book a trip during club season at any resort even my own resort if I wanted to try to get a smaller room but stay for two weeks for example.

Am I stating this correctly?

Also I noticed this ad on the TUG market place. And I want to see if I understand it.

Spring Break week 14, annual 1,400 HIlton Points package
Fantastic buy for a Spring Break week 14 in Breckenridge! Annual 14,000 Hilton Points package consisting of 7,000 Points during fixed/floating week 14 and 7,000 floating Points during Summer Season. For more information or to make an offer, please contact Diane Nadeau, Owner/Broker today. We are Hilton Specialists and equipped to answer all of your HGVC questions. Timeshare Broker Sales is a Licensed Real Estate Broker, member of the NAR, ARDA, LTRBA and a BBB A+ Accredited Business. Signed Listing Agreement on file.(S9488P)

So if in this case I chose not to book week 14 or the 7000 points in the summer season then we would have 14000 points to book at another resort for each year? Is that correct?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
You getting close. If you choose to book something other than your home week, you can typically book 9 months in advance(Club Season) , though there are a few resorts with shorter booking windows. They key point is the points come from the year they are are awarded. You can make a club season reservation for January 2018 nine months in advance, and the system will pull the points from your 2018 allotment, even if you still have 2017 points left. If you wanted to use up your 2017 points first, you would need to pay a fee to rescue / save them into 2018.

As for the 2 week deed you mentioned above, are you sure you can use all the those points? I would be cautious about making a large initial purchase, it might be better to start with a 7K unit to see how the system works for you.

DaSoul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet
You getting close. If you choose to book something other than your home week, you can typically book 9 months in advance(Club Season) , though there are a few resorts with shorter booking windows. They key point is the points come from the year they are are awarded. You can make a club season reservation for January 2018 nine months in advance, and the system will pull the points from your 2018 allotment, even if you still have 2017 points left. If you wanted to use up your 2017 points first, you would need to pay a fee to rescue / save them into 2018.

Ah ok that makes sense.

As for the 2 week deed you mentioned above, are you sure you can use all the those points? I would be cautious about making a large initial purchase, it might be better to start with a 7K unit to see how the system works for you.

Yeah I am just trying to understand the Valdoro offerings. Ive seen this on quite a few of the ads. Is what I said the case in this instance? If I did not want to book my two "home weeks" then I would have 14k points for any resort for the year?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Yeah I am just trying to understand the Valdoro offerings. Ive seen this on quite a few of the ads. Is what I said the case in this instance?

The Valdoro offering is slightly different. Some of the Valdoro units (such as this one) were sold with a fix ski week (this one was week 14) and a floating summer week. The ad doesn't say but it should be a two-bedroom unit. A fixed week would be automatically booked for you each year. If you didn't want the reservation and wanted the points, then you would need to cancel the fixed week booking. Your 7000 points would then show up in your account. The 7000 float weeks points would automatically be in your account until you used them for either a club or home week booking. (I personally don't own any fix weeks, so I hope my understanding is accurate.)

You are asking some very good questions. I know it is tough to figure it out until you see it. But, it is best to understand (as much as possible anyway) before you get into the system.

Last edited:

DaSoul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet
The Valdoro offering is slightly different. Some of the Valdoro units (such as this one) were sold with a fix ski week (this one was week 14) and a floating summer week. The ad doesn't say but it should be a two-bedroom unit. A fixed week would be automatically booked for you each year. If you didn't want the reservation and wanted the points, then you would need to cancel the fixed week booking. Your 7000 points would then show up in your account. The 7000 float weeks points would automatically be in your account until you used them for either a club or home week booking. (I personally don't own any fix weeks, so I hope my understanding if accurate.)

You are asking some very good questions. I know it is tough to figure it out until you see it. But, it is best to understand (as much as possible anyway) before you get into the system.

Thanks. Yeah I assumed the floating points were good for any resort but wanted to make sure. I also wasnt sure about the fixed week how that worked exactly. Thanks!

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
No problem. It is always best to try to understand the system, prior to committing to it by making a purchase.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
The Valdoro offering is slightly different. Some of the Valdoro units (such as this one) were sold with a fix ski week (this one was week 14) and a floating summer week. The ad doesn't say but it should be a two-bedroom unit. A fixed week would be automatically booked for you each year. If you didn't want the reservation and wanted the points, then you would need to cancel the fixed week booking. Your 7000 points would then show up in your account. The 7000 float weeks points would automatically be in your account until you used them for either a club or home week booking. (I personally don't own any fix weeks, so I hope my understanding is accurate.)

I am not a skier nor do I know Valdoro so I could be wrong but Week 14 is in April and I don't know if that would be considered prime ski season. That could be why this week is such a good deal. I would make sure that it is a Platinum Week so that it would give the maximum amount of points for the maintenance dollars.
Otherwise depositing the points in HGVC would make the ski season issue moot.

DaSoul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None yet
I am not a skier nor do I know Valdoro so I could be wrong but Week 14 is in April and I don't know if that would be considered prime ski season. That could be why this week is such a good deal. I would make sure that it is a Platinum Week so that it would give the maximum amount of points for the maintenance dollars.
Otherwise depositing the points in HGVC would make the ski season issue moot.

Yeah I think it wouldn't be a great fixed week. That one above isnt even priced very well. I take it week one is the first full week starting on Sunday?

There is this listing on the TUG market place which seems like a steal:

For Sale
Floating | EY | FriSatSun
Hilton Grand Vacations Club Valdoro Mountain Lodge
USA | CO | Breckenridge
01 2017
52 2017
01/02/2017
12/29/2017

$13,000.00
$2,389.12
view ad

Annual Ski and Summer season HGVC Points at Valdoro Mountian Lodge!

Contact Judi Kozlowski at Re/Max roperties SW with any questions. Customer satisfaction is our goal. We are Members of the Licensed Timeshare Resale Brokers Association and the RedWeek MLS. We have many listings to choose from. Members of LTRBA and ARDA. 16800 PLAT HGVC Annual Points. Refer to listing #025331

But I think maybe someone bought it because when I check Judi's website she doesnt show this TS. And I am not surprised based on the fact that it appears to be a good deal to me. Looking at this it was likely it was 8400 points for ski and summer platinum season each. Does that sound about right?