• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Received this email from RCI today about Laurel Point Resort

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
First of all, here is the text of the email (please click to expand):
Dear RCI Member:

We have some important information to share concerning your upcoming vacation to LAUREL POINT RESORT.

The staff at LAUREL POINT RESORT has notified us that the pool and hot tub are closed for renovation thru at least October of 2018. Vouchers are available for the community center pool in Gatlinburg. The resort will also begin rebuild of building A which was damaged by fire. Guests will pass the construction area. There will be noise and dust.

We realize this may have an impact on your vacation and wanted to inform you of this situation in advance. Since availability is limited in the area you confirmed, we encourage you to retain your vacation. Should you decide to cancel your stay, our standard cancellation guidelines will apply.

If you have questions, please contact our Member Services at (800) 338-7777. RCI Guides are available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., local time and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., local time. Call Center hours are based on local times for RCI subscribing members in the Continental United States, Western Canada and Central Canada. For members in Hawaii and Alaska, Call Center hours are based on Pacific Time. For members in the Caribbean and Atlantic Canada, Call Center hours are based on Eastern Time. The Call Center is closed on most major U.S. holidays.

We apologize for any inconvenience and look forward to providing you with quality vacations in the years to come.

Sincerely,

RCI Customer Service

While I suppose it is nice that RCI is notifying us of this inconvenience, it is more than offset by RCI's decision to not modify their standard cancellation procedures in this case. Fortunately in our case, the pool and hot tub are NOT the main attractions which caused us to select this destination but one would think RCI might show a little empathy / sympathy here as well and allow a period of free cancellations.

Oh well.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

While I suppose it is nice that RCI is notifying us of this inconvenience, it is more than offset by RCI's decision to not modify their standard cancellation procedures in this case. Fortunately in our case, the pool and hot tub are NOT the main attractions which caused us to select this destination but one would think RCI might show a little empathy / sympathy here as well and allow a period of free cancellations.

Oh well.
RCI sent the email to cover themselves, so you can't call and say you didn't tell me. To them it's an "inconvenience", to traders it can be a ruined vacation. Shame on them.

CharlesS

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI sent the email to cover themselves, so you can't call and say you didn't tell me. To them it's an "inconvenience", to traders it can be a ruined vacation. Shame on them.
Shame on who? Shame on RCI for informing the exchanger of something RCI may have just learned (this information hasn't been posted on the BG website as of this evening). If one tries to exchange into Laurel Crest, RCI gives the following statement: "The pool and hot tub behind buildings 5 and 6 are closed indefinitely for repairs. The indoor and outdoor pool at the clubhouse are still available."

Or shame on Laurel Crest for fixing their pool and hot tub and fixing a building that was damaged by fire?

Charles

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Shame on who? Shame on RCI for informing the exchanger of something RCI may have just learned (this information hasn't been posted on the BG website as of this evening). If one tries to exchange into Laurel Crest, RCI gives the following statement: "The pool and hot tub behind buildings 5 and 6 are closed indefinitely for repairs. The indoor and outdoor pool at the clubhouse are still available."

Or shame on Laurel Crest for fixing their pool and hot tub and fixing a building that was damaged by fire?

Charles
Shame on RCI for not allowing you to retrade without paying another trade fee. Whereas amenities at many resorts at times need updating, construction where there is noise and dust can be a major downer for a vacation. It would be good public relations if RCI offered you to cancel within a week of this letter and gave you a credit for a future trade.

CharlesS

TUG Member
Reaction score
If one tries to exchange into Laurel Crest, RCI gives the following statement: "The pool and hot tub behind buildings 5 and 6 are closed indefinitely for repairs. The indoor and outdoor pool at the clubhouse are still available." - Charles

Sorry, Big Mistake. When I saw Laurel Point I thought Laurel Crest. If one tries to exchange into Laurel Point, RCI gives the following statement:

"Major construction or remodeling may disturb guests from September 9, 2017 to October 31, 2018.
Resort will begin to rebuild building A. There will be noise and dust.

Pool will be closed from September 5, 2017 to October 31, 2018.
Pool and Hot Tub will be closed for renovation."

Charles

hintok

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis - 2
Westin Desert Willows
WorldMark 6k credits
Gandview RCI Points 122k
I got a similar email from the resort, Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort. I was just going up to use the pool and relax. Intervale would not do anythihg about it. I wish I knew this when I made my last retrade into the resort.

Alert! Pools and Spa Renovations
The pools and spas will be closed for renovations beginning September 24, 2017 through to October 19, 2017. Guests may experience noise and see construction workers/equipment as the work progresses.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
The fact this remodeling / renovation was not mentioned when I made our reservation should be enough to allow a complementary trade at no additional cost to us. I get that resorts have to remodel but if they declare this intention after a person makes a reservation, a customer should be allowed the courtesy of changing their plans

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The other point that sticks out to me after rereading the email from RCI - how can it take (at least) over 1 year to renovate a pool and a spa?

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis

Oh well.

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
I had the same situation for palm coast 2 years ago. I blasted them, asked for a supervisor and finally got them to refund exchange fee and TPUs

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have an email in to RCI on this...will update as developments warrant. I am trying the nice approach first.....

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
The other point that sticks out to me after rereading the email from RCI - how can it take (at least) over 1 year to renovate a pool and a spa?
It's not just renovating a pool and a spa. Building A and the office of the resort burned to the ground in the Gatlinburg fire. The pool and spa were filled with rubble and need rebuilding.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, how 'bout that? Got a positive response on this from RCI - points refunded and exchange fee returned (credited) back to my card. Nice!