TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

RCI to acquire DAE....

Discussion in 'Exchanging' started by richardm, Aug 8, 2017.

1. csxjohn

csxjohn TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Tropic Shores, 2br. Summer Bay, 3br L/O. Bluegreen Pts.
    " DAE, which has established a strong loyal consumer base, will continue to run as an independent brand and be marketed separately from RCI. However, the similarities among these exchange-oriented businesses will allow for greater collaboration between the companies to foster growth."

This part is good news. I'm one of those loyal consumers and I often promote their use. I just hope what I like stays. They are free to join, you can set up a search without paying ahead, you have 3 yrs to use your exchange and it's cheaper all around than RCI. I love the personal service we get from them.

mpumilia likes this.
  2. primes

primes Guest

Any news about units that you have already banked with DAE? Will RCI honor them?

3. bellacyn

bellacyn Guest

so TRUE! we were members from the beginning now we have to pay so much more plus the rate to belong! I have very low maintenance fee since I bought odd years on a 3 bedroom right near Disney and always push my points around since I am platinum member which is another hoax. Just got the Donotello in San Fransisco which took me almost 2 years in search. & they tell me Im lucky I got it. Very tired of Rci thinking of selling and just renting from now on

mpumilia likes this.
  4. JeffC

JeffC TUG Member

Based on the press release DAE will continue to function as an independent exchange. Any weeks you have on deposit can be used as in the past. What remains to be seen is how the new ownership will influence pricing and policies. I have used DAE for my surplus/expiring points. I book a discounted week and deposit it during their 2 for 1 promotion. Whether these promotions will continue is one of the questions we'll have to wait to find out. I use RCI, DAE and TPI; each has its pros and cons. Exchanging in general is in a slow death spiral; the combination of increasing maintenance fees, increasing exchange fees, decreasing deposits and the increase in rental inventory make it harder for the TS owner to justify. Why deposit your week to exchange somewhere else when you can rent that unit easily and cheaper. As the older TS owners who know how to work the exchange systems age out the need for exchanges will dwindle.

Jeff C

mpumilia likes this.
  5. vacationhopeful

vacationhopeful TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Ft Lauderdale Beach, Wyndham Santa Barbara, Wyndham Royal Vista, Wyndham Sea Gardens, Wyndham Shawnee (Poconos)
    And I remember when gasoline cost me 29 cents a gallon from 27 cents a gallon ... and I was upset at the price increase.

silentg likes this.
  6. silentg

silentg TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

This is only good news for the exchange companies. I'm trying to use my own timeshares or make trades with other TUG members

mpumilia likes this.
  7. Coach Boon

Coach Boon Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Seacrest Surf and Racquet ClubHilton Head
    Great points by everyone. I'm one of those RCI refugees although I still have a membership until the end of this year. I hate all those fees RCI charge. There is no reason for some of those charges. I've tried DAE and am still waiting for a resort. So far nothing. In one case, I know RCI has spots but it's coming up blank on DAE even though they have the same resorts in this area. So for me...DA has been a bust even though their service is good (calls/questions etc).
    With all the RCI fees we're now considering just sticking to our home resort whether we use it or not. In many cases you can rent cheaper than going through RCI.

mpumilia likes this.
  8. Rpeterson

Rpeterson TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Massanutten Mountainside Villas, Atrium Resort - Virginia Beach .
    I've been a member of DAE for a few years now, and had good success with them. I hate to see them eaten up by RCI.

mpumilia likes this.
  9. jpegan

jpegan Guest

Nobody has mention what has happened to World Mark since Wyndham took over management of same. In the takeover process, Wyndham acquired thousands of World Mark shares which they use to put non-owners into the most popular resorts. Try to get a schedule in Vegas on Friday and Saturday less than 8 months in advance. Mid week is easy to schedule anytime. Wyndham is treating World Mark resorts as if they are one of their Hotels. Since they own RCI they can even use the banked shares from World Mark owners as their own and book them for cash.

10. Born2Travel

Born2Travel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
    I agree. Worldmark was great before Wyndham came on the scene. I still love my Worldmark but wish I'd never heard of Wyndham!

Icc5 and mpumilia like this.
  11. silentg

silentg TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

When will this take effect?

12. Larry M

Larry M TUG Member

I've never been that hot on DAE. Their only search is based on the assumption that you know the exact city you want to go to, not the amenity you wish to have. If you want to golf or hike or ride horseback and don't care where or when, you must do dozens of searches.

This is a multi-dimensional problem (where, when, amenities) and DAE never bothered to support more than the "where" dimension. Maybe when they get sucked up by RCI/Wyndham, someone will come along and do some REAL Web2.0 programming.

13. Larry M

Larry M TUG Member

I've never been that hot on DAE. Their only search is based on the assumption that you know the exact city you want to go to, not the amenity you wish to have. If you want to golf or hike or ride horseback and don't care where or when, you must do dozens of searches.

This is a multi-dimensional problem (where, when, amenities) and DAE never bothered to support more than the "where" dimension. Maybe when they get sucked up by RCI/Wyndham, someone will come along and do some REAL Web2.0 programming.

14. bigeyes1

bigeyes1 TUG Member

I've been a DAE member for quite a while now and had pretty good success with it. I'm not sure how I feel about RCI acquiring DAE. I used DAE as another exchange option instead of having to use the ever-increasing, money-grubbing RCI. If DAE remains a separate company, this might give DAE the access they need to have more weeks available for their exchangers. Then again, it could be a bad thing. DAE could raise their fees and change their simple exchange process. Only time will tell, I guess.

mpumilia likes this.
  15. theo

theo TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I find it difficult to believe that DAE will continue to operate unchanged as a separate and independent entity after being swallowed whole by Wyndham / RCI.
    If that was truly the Wyndham / RCI plan or intent, then why even bother to acquire DAE at all in the first place?
    Surely DAE was not / is not a RCI "competitor"of any real significance in the grand scheme of things. Color me dubious --- very dubious. :ponder:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    mpumilia likes this.
  16. bluehende

bluehende TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

It is very telling that no one has asked if RCI will adopt DAE's free membership policy.:rolleyes:

mpumilia likes this.
  17. tc

tc TUG Member

Mammoth Wyndham Worldwide buying out the competition. Will it stop with DAE? Will they buy out other competitors? We are members of Club Wyndham and have had so- so luck with exchanges thru DAE, so we are familiar with both companies. It is never good for the consumer when there is less competition in the free market place. I am making an inquiry with the FTC to see if any antitrust laws are being violated. Maybe other TUGGERs can do the same: https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/competition-guidance/guide-antitrust-laws

18. bogey21

bogey21 TUG Member

I for one don't believe it. I think they are planning to eliminate a competitor.

George

theo and mpumilia like this.
  19. JohnPaul

JohnPaul TUG Member

Looking for a positive note.

If the speculation is that Wyndham bought them to get some good IT skills is accurate. And if Wyndham manages to utilize those skills (rather than just annoy the skilled workers until they leave) then maybe the Wyndham IT department will start doing some things right.

That won't help RCI exchangers (well maybe if the skilled folks are deployed to RCI systems) but would certainly be a boon for the Wyndham/Worldmark/Shell folks that need a reservation system/website that works properly.

20. vacationhopeful

vacationhopeful TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Ft Lauderdale Beach, Wyndham Santa Barbara, Wyndham Royal Vista, Wyndham Sea Gardens, Wyndham Shawnee (Poconos)
    Competent computer staff will WALK after dealing with "weasel-like" management ... Wyndham is a 'good old boys' outfit with upper management being all from the sales ranks... where puff & smoke & mirrors is normal for a business plan.

Usually upper management in most companies is from accounting, finance, chemistry, development of products, legal and engineering. Very hard to find anyone NOT from the sales/marketing department in Wyndham's executive offices.

mpumilia likes this.
  21. Jimster

Jimster TUG Member

RCI is now the poster child for corporate greed.

vacationhopeful likes this.
  22. jkb

jkb Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Too bad... I have used DAE for many years - in fact when I started using them, it was Donita's. Then it became DAE. I started using them because RCI's exchange fee became unreasonable and I rarely got the exchanges I requested. I have had very good exchanges through DAE and although their exchange fee has increased over the years (now up to $179 which you don't pay until an exchange has been confirmed), they are still cheaper than RCI (now $289 which you have to pay when requesting a search). I hardly think RCI/Wyndham will let procedures favorable to the TS user continue.:(

mpumilia likes this.