*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

RCI Points - Problems w/ Trip Cancellation Insurance

Discussion in 'Exchanging' started by sjuhawk_jd, Aug 28, 2010.

1. sjuhawk_jd

sjuhawk_jd TUG Member

I had an RCI exchange (points) and I had purchased Trip cancellation insurance. Today, when I called RCI to cancel, I was told that I will get the points back but no exchange money ($179) will be credited. Exchange money is credited on RCI Weeks account only (with insurance) and not points side.

I asked for the supervisor. After 6 minutes, supervisor (very rude) reads me the riot act - No refund (or credit) of exchange fees. I read her the terms and conditions of the insurance from my account: (a) you get your week back, (b) you get your exchange fee as a credit on the account good for 6 months. Supervisor said "you just mentioned the magic word: Week". I said, "But these T&C are posted in my points account." After much arguing, supervisor said, "I can either refund your points or credit the exchange fee (but not both)". I tool the exchange fee credit. Questions:

(1) I got supervisor's name and employee ID. How do I report her bad attitude to RCI?
    (2) How do I get my points back?

This is what popped up when I clicked on the "Trip protection Plan" hyperlink from within my RCI points reservation:

PART A

RCI Weeks Vacation Protection ensures that your Trading Power and Exchange fee are fully restored, and made available for your next vacation, in the event that you have to change or cancel. Don't leave your vacation unprotected.

PART B

Upon canceling your exchange vacation, you will receive a $69 USD credit on your RCI account for a future exchange. This credit is valid for 6 months after date of cancellation.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  2. alwysonvac

alwysonvac TUG Lifetime Member

I remember reading about the Vacation Protection. I'm assuming it's the same thing :shrug:

3. sjuhawk_jd

sjuhawk_jd TUG Member

The issue is that I paid $69 for the vacation protection plan and it was a weeks resort but booked using the RCI points. So, as pointed out above, the cancellation policy for the weeks should apply.

4. tschwa2

tschwa2 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    plans changed 11/1/09

RCI changed the points cancelation policy and the protection policy on 11/1/09. If you purchased the plan prior to that date you should be entitled to the refund of the transaction fee per the terms of the old plan.

5. theo

theo TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Still ANOTHER RCI "enhancement"?

It's a source of continual amazement to me just how many different "enhancements" RCI can contrive to "benefit" its' members. Next will likely be "free tacks" to place inside your shoes for "enhanced" comfort. :rolleyes:

6. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

I am glad now that I didn't purchase their insurance and absolutely never will. Did you know there are other insurance products offered that will cover you for an entire year?

RCI is really hurting timeshare owners. I would write directly to Geoffrey Ballotti (what's his name?), or Carole Ablett in owner services. I had both of their email addresses and will look them up. Geoffrey was easy to find via a search.

7. timbuktu

timbuktu TUG Member

Cancellation double talk ?

I did not purchase their cancellation insurance and they will not refund the trading fee of $179 ( getting higher all the time) which I knew.
    They will refund some points, in this case 14. But they tell me they are refunding 20, get this, because I have 6 points left in my account. I say these 6 points have nothing to do with RCI and belong to me. They disagree , they say, because I am cancelling the transaction they revert back to them as my deposit. Do you agree ?