*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

RCI Points platinum

Discussion in 'Exchanging' started by mishpat, Jun 29, 2010.

1. mishpat

mishpat TUG Member

Seems RCI Points has found a new way for members to pay an additional "only $55.00." Anyone have any experience here to share . Hard to imagine this is as good as it sounds. Buy ya never know

2. skimble

skimble TUG Member

How exactly does this work?? What do you get for the $$?

3. Carolinian

Carolinian Guest

Many points system churn their members, introducting new types of points at new costs, and the old points then having less value. I wonder if this is the thin end of the wedge on one of those gambits.

4. "Roger"

"Roger" TUG Member

Please do not double post.

If you check in at the RCI Points site, there is a box (the middle box among three) where you can see what the program offers. (Once you click on the box, you then have to click on the various pictures on the new screen that opens to see the individual offers.) It is a combination of

• Discounts on hotels, ski packages, theater tickets, etc.
    • The ability to use your points on hotel rooms in cities.
    • Free upgrades if one is available two weeks prior to check-in

The older points have not been given lesser value.

5. vacationdoc

vacationdoc Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Has anyone who has joined rci points platinum seen any benefits? How likely is it that an upgrade would be awarded? I talked with an RCI guide but he said he could not give me any examples of the special priority access units until I joined.

6. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

We own a lot of points and are thinking the higher # of points allowed for airline tickets might be of value to us, although we aren't really sure.

7. janej

janej Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

I joined recently mostly because the $55 cost should be offset by the $20 rebate they give me for each guest certificate. I have not thought of using the priority access. PM me if you have specific area/date you want to check, I will call RCI for you. BTW, I have not seen any $20 rebate showing up in my account. Last time I asked a VC about it, she said it should be online, under Platinum number information. I was not near a computer at the time, and I have not been able to locate that. Any one else knows how?

8. sjuhawk_jd

sjuhawk_jd TUG Member

Same here, I have not seen any $20 rebate on the GCs myself. When I tried to call RCI, the reps do not know anything about this and tried to send me back to the terms and conditions of the Platinum points instead of helping me out in figuring out where this $20 is?

9. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Our kids' names are on our account, so Guest Certificate fees would not be a big savings for us. I would be upset if they promised lesser-priced guest fees and didn't give me that credit. RCI is not great for communicating, either. :rolleyes:

10. MichaelColey

MichaelColey TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

I was just looking over the benefits of RCI Points Platinum (easiest to understand by reading their rules).

It looks like the benefits are:

1) Upgrades for both your RCI Points and RCI Weeks exchanges. Probably wouldn't help me much, as I usually book a larger room and it's unlikely that there will be a bigger one available 14 days before check-in. From my limited experience, the larger units go VERY early and almost nothing decent is left at 14 days. Also, it doesn't apply to Extra Vacations. Who knows, though. Even just one upgrade would well be worth the annual fee and would be a welcome surprise.

2) Rebates of $20 on Guest Certificates and $25 on Extra Vacations. Two Extra Vacations a year would almost pay for this. I did a lot more than that this year, but will probably do less going forward.

3) Priority Inventory Access. Hard to quantify this unless you can see what you'll have access to. Any current Platinum members have any insight here?

4) Can use more points towards partner offers. If you do partner offers, perhaps this is a benefit, but the points are much more valuable used for timeshares.

11. MichaelColey

MichaelColey TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

I just upgraded to RCI Points Platinum today, and it turns out that I misinterpreted this.

Rule 2.5 says "Unit upgrades are only available for standard RCI Points Exchanges and RCI Weeks Exchanges, and do not apply to any other transactions, including but not limited to: Home Resort exchanges; Extra Vacations getaways; and Last Call vacations."

Apparently, it doesn't apply to RCI Weeks Exchanges in your RCI Weeks account, but only RCI Weeks Exchanges (using points) in your RCI Points account.

12. janej

janej Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

I called RCI to for an extra getaway last week. While on the phone, I asked about the $20 rebate. The VC told me it should appear on my account as a credit automatically after the vacation is complete. I used a guest certificate for a friend in August and did not get any credit back. She checked and talked to her supervisor, then they called accounting and got my $20 refunded to my credit card. Since I only paid about $15 for a partial year membership, so far I did ok.