*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

RCI Military Rentals AFVClub

Discussion in 'Buying, Selling, Renting' started by RonLux, Apr 20, 2007.

1. RonLux

RonLux TUG Member

I got my annual postcard in the mail today advertising space available condo rentals for $299.00 for a 7-night stay through the Armed Forces Vacation Club. It is available free to active duty or reserve service members, military retiree's and their spouses. I believe this is RCI inventory, I don't see it stated in their current website but it was in the paperwork I have from back in 2003 when I joined the club. I used them to book into fairfield Pagosa a few years ago prior to buying Fairfield points there.
    Their web site is www.afvclub. com if anyone is interested.

There is a similar club available to any federal, state, or local government worker. This one also lets in any honorably discharged American Veteran. You can find them at http://www.govarm. com. They partner with Trading Places and claim to get special deals for their members. I've never used this one but have seen it advertised in the Army Times newspaper.

A portion of the rental fee's are paid to the Military's Base Recreation Welfare fund, so it's a way to support the troops. Worth a look!

2. geekette

geekette Guest

I would be interested to know how much 'a portion' is as I doubt RCI is generously donating much.

3. wackymother

wackymother TUG Member

I looked at the www.govarm.com website and it doesn't look like RCI. It looks like Trading Places. It says Trading Places all over the place.

There was a different website that I can't remember, for government employees (not just military personnel), that took me to a site that looked like RCI.

4. KarenL

KarenL TUG Member

I believe you are thinking of getravelop.com. This website is for govt employees and is run by RCI
    Karen

5. wackymother

wackymother TUG Member

Thank you, yes, that's the one I had in mind.

6. KenK

KenK TUG Lifetime Member

Govarm is II and Trading Places. They are stricter in checking for government info or vet status than RCI seems to be. When you check one part, the engine is the same as www.condodirect.com .... But prices on the govarm site is cheaper. The trading places engine is the same as that on the trading places site...but I think they are cheaper on the govarm site, too. www.govarm.com

Many years ago, Betsy (NYTOG & TUG member) did a review of pricing differences. If I remember right (and that ain't always true)....the weeks offered via II and RCI to members (as in left over vacation, extra vacations & so on) were almost always cheaper than offered on the government sites...even the open to public sites. May not be so true now.

The only one that does give a % back to bases & forts is the www.afvclub.com I'll see if I can find how much.

RCI has the same engine for many affinity groups, like college school graduates

The www.getravelop.com can also be used for Canadian Gov workers in any section (local, fed, vet)...but the site is different for the UK areas.

US vets need to use www.veteransholidays.com

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  7. JoeMO

JoeMO Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Mostly left overs.

I have done a few comparisons between getravelop and RCI and it seems to be non prime weeks in non prime locations. I also did a search for Branson next month and there was a lot but when I searched for a year from now at Branson there was only a few. On the plus side they only cost $300 with no taxes, fees, weeks or points that you have to use.

Thanks,
    Joe

8. CabinGirl

CabinGirl TUG Member

Anyone have a link for condo rentals w/ RCI & II for college affinity groups?

thanks.

9. KenK

KenK TUG Lifetime Member