• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI - Mexico and New York

Daddyaus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Fairfield Glade
Does anyone know some good places available through RCI weeks exchange in New York and/or Mexico?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I'd call them 'good catches', 'lucky exchanges' or similar. There is few bazillion square miles between New York and Mexico. You're a member, so you have access to TUG reviews of thousands of resorts. Why not check RCI's catalog of what's available for your dates, then go to the reviews. Once you have a location in mind, maybe narrowed down to a handful of likely suspects, ask in the appropriate forum for specifics- like area highlights, nearby restaurants, tours, grocery stores, etc.

But to ask IF ANYONE knows if there are good places among the thousands in RCI's inventory is a little broad.

Jim

Daddyaus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Fairfield Glade
Thanks for being obnoxious Jim. I really appreciate it.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're welcome. Thanks for being vague. Specific questions will get specific answers.

Last edited:

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Does anyone know some good places available through RCI weeks exchange in New York and/or Mexico?
If you're talking NY city, not much available for exchange by the week. You may have luck if you use an ongoing search... which I don't use. I have gotten 3-4 nights in NYC thru RCI Points. Other areas in NY state can be had on an exchange.

Usually ample inventory in Mexico, depends on where and when you want to go. I would NOT recommend RCI for all-inclusive though.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score

Which areas of Mexico? and New York?

Normally I'll go through the RCI Resort Directory to see the complete list (even if they aren't readily available), and then rule out anything not "Gold Crown", and then look up the remainder on Trip Advisor.

Also, note that at least with RCI, a *lot* of the Mexican resorts are mandatory AI, which is not, IMO, a good deal at all. You're better off just getting those directly or via cheapcaribbean.

But you really want to narrow down the geographic location, IMO. Unless you're totally open to anything for a particular week/month. Common places in Mexico would be Puerto Vallarta/Nuevo Vallarta, Cancun, Playa del Carmen/Riviera Maya, Cabo san Lucas. There's others like Mazatlan and Accapulco as well.

For us it's more how much do plane tickets cost, and what time of year. Personally I don't want to go to Cabo/Puerto Vallarta during Jan-Feb (when it's cold in New York) because the water temps in Mexico on that side of the country during that part of the year are too cool for my liking. I prefer the Caribbean side of Mexico (oh, forgot about Cozumel). But maybe ocean/beach isn't your thing.

There's some sub-forums on this site for Mexico and North East as well if you want places.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you mean New York City? If so, Manhattan Club #4064 is often available through RCI. To get it for a specific date, set up a search request. Be forewarned, though, that you must pay the resort fees of $54/day (goes up every year.)

The following are listed in RCI, but I have never seen them available in RCI Weeks:
Wyndham Midtown 45 at NYC (#D736)
THE HILTON CLUB OF NEW YORK (#6772)
WEST 57TH STREET BY HGVC (#7976)

There are thousands of resorts in Mexico.
Then you need to select a geographic area. The three main tourist areas are
Cancun & Riviera Maya
Puerto Vallarta & Nuevo Vallarta
Cabo San Lucas & San Jose del Cabo
Once you narrow down the area, then the next thing I suggest is to select the filter to exclude the All-Inclusives.

Do you have an RCI account, or are you thinking of joining?

WackyLucy

Reaction score

I don't think that it is at all or in any way "obnoxious" to request "more specific" in place of "overly vague", but that's just a personal opinion. YMMV.

My observation and experience in these forums as a relative newbie is that people are always willing to help answer questions, but that (much appreciated) effort is more easily elicited when questions are pointed --- or at least not too broad, very vague and only marginally decipherable. :shrug:

Last edited:

itchyfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have never been to Mexico, first choose the area you want to visit. There are many wonderful resorts there. Are you restricted to RCI? II also has some nice resorts. I wouldn't choose an all inclusive for a couple of reasons. First of all (in my opinion) unless you consume a lot of alcoholic beverages, it isn't worth it. Second, there are so many excellent restaurants outside the resorts, why stay on resort for everything. Once you have decided the area you want to visit, then check the reviews for the resorts here and ask questions about the specific resorts. We have traveled to Mexico many times and will continue to visit. There are many wonderful resorts to choose from. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to PM me.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hudshut's list for NYC is good.
Re. MX, a (non-AI or AI optional) list you may want to investigate, based on comments on this BBS over the years:
Cancun/Riviera Maya side:
  • A couple of the Royals (you'll need to ask owners which ones are not AI).
  • Westin Lagunamar
  • Vidanta Riviera Maya
  • Villa Del Palmar Cancun (VDP)
The Pacific Side:
  • Vidanta Resorts
  • Pueblo Bonito Resorts
  • Villa Del Palmar Resorts

There are more I'm sure...I'll let others add as they wish or correct if necessary.
Check out the MX forum--there's lots of good info. there.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Daddyaus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Fairfield Glade
Hudshut's list for NYC is good.
Re. MX, a (non-AI or AI optional) list you may want to investigate, based on comments on this BBS over the years:
Cancun/Riviera Maya side:
  • A couple of the Royals (you'll need to ask owners which ones are not AI).
  • Westin Lagunamar
  • Vidanta Riviera Maya
  • Villa Del Palmar Cancun (VDP)
The Pacific Side:
  • Vidanta Resorts
  • Pueblo Bonito Resorts
  • Villa Del Palmar Resorts

There are more I'm sure...I'll let others add as they wish or correct if necessary.
Check out the MX forum--there's lots of good info. there.

Good luck!
Thank you so much, that's exactly what I was after