• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI exchange fee

SteveH

TUG Member
Reaction score
This exchange has gotten off topic, but to reply to John Cummings, despite the lure of vehicles, even those made in canada, being much cheaper south of the border, in most cases by the time the feds get through with you with customs duties, taxes, and other fees, it comes out almost even and not worth the trouble. Unless you've found something special or some configuration not readily available here. Bottom line is we can't win! Here's a link to a step by step dialogue of how to buy a car in the US.

http://thegarageblog.com/garage/cross-border-car-shopping-bringing-it-home/

We live in Ottawa and bought a new Honda Accord V6 in Watertown, NY in 2007. We saved about $7K over the Canadian cost. I recently contacted the salesman in Watertown for a friend and they've been told by Honda America that there license will be pulled if they sell another new car to a Canadian. What happened to 'free trade?'
Steve

AKE

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I guess that I would just protest with my feet (i.e. walk to another dealership) and buy another brand then - I have no loyalty to any product or organziation that rips people off because of their residence (i.e. Canada). I can't remember the last time I bought anything from Hallmark, Michaels, etc as they continue to charge Canadians higher prices (unless this has changed in the last few weeks or so) than for the same product in the States.

asp

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI does change the rates on a regular basis, as the currency fluctuates, think it is about every 3 to 6 months, and wasnt there one recently? but our dollar has been rising rapidly over the past couple of weeks. Today, I hear the CDN govt stepped in and it dropped two cents.

I think last October when the CDN dollar fell like a stone we were on the benfitting end of RCI fees for a little while.

One thing RCI didn't mention, is that GST is included in the CDN fees, and there is no equivalent charge in the US fees that I know of.

Like you, I would prefer to pay in US dollars always - but remember that the credit card company will add about 2.5 to 3 % to your CDN credit card for that privilege, deoesn't always give you the best rates, and they would still need to charge the GST/HST to Canadians. Maybe II absorbs the GST - but they aren't likely to absorb the HST once Ontario and BC have the joy of paying even more for services!

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
American companies do not charge Canadian GST, and RCI is an American company, servicing its Canadian customers out of the Indiana office.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like you, I would prefer to pay in US dollars always - but remember that the credit card company will add about 2.5 to 3 % to your CDN credit card for that privilege, deoesn't always give you the best rates, and they would still need to charge the GST/HST to Canadians. Maybe II absorbs the GST - but they aren't likely to absorb the HST once Ontario and BC have the joy of paying even more for services!

Right, but the differential between the US and Cdn exchange fee is about 25%! I'd rather pay my credit card company their exhorbitant 2/3% exchange rate premium to spot rates and pay in US dollars if given the chance.

asp

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI has a large call centre & offices in St John New Brunswick. They may be an American company, but they do businsess in Canada, so they would have to charge GST.

http://www.wyndhamworldwidecanada.com/ advertises positions for RCI Member Sales & Service Guides, and RCI Wyndham Vacation Rentals