• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RANT!: Commercial RCI Exchange Renters

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
With EBAY it is relatively easy to annoy the renter. If its obviously an exchange, win the auction or buy it now. You will now have the address and name of the seller to provide payment.

Then before making payment ask the seller to confirm they OWN the unit being rented. Ask them to provide a confirmation from the resort that they are the owner and that it isnt a timeshare exchange. They obviously wont be able to do this and will try to convince you its OK for you to proceed. Tell them you wont pay for the item because they dont own it and it violates EBAY Terms and Conditions. The seller will ask to send you an auction cancellation request. When you accept, the auction is cancelled and there are no negative repercussions for the buyer. However, the buyer is still able to leave negative feedback for the seller. You can put in a comment such as "seller is renting exchanges, subject to cancellation " or whatever comment you like.

Now that you have the sellers name, address and unit being rented, call RCI and provide them with the exact information of the unit being rented. This makes it quick and easy for RCI to take action .

They only have to prove they are the owner if they are selling as an individual owners- which this person is not. They are renting under the non travel agent , travel provider. In this category there are additional requirements for selling "Airfare, cruises and vacation packages", but no restrictions on "Lodging rentals, such as homes, apartments, condos, and timeshare weeks." They do have to have the disclaimer:
"By listing this auction I verify that I am the actual travel agent or travel provider and not a third party affiliate. The travel/accommodations in this auction will be booked directly through me and not an outside agency. I also verify that, other than the government taxes and related government fees stated within the listing description itself, there will be absolutely no additional fees, charges or after auction purchases associated with booking the travel within this listing."

But would the onus be on them to prove they are booking directly and not through an outside agency (like RCI) or would you be the one having to prove that they are?

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
They only have to prove they are the owner if they are selling as an individual owners- which this person is not. They are renting under the non travel agent , travel provider. In this category there are additional requirements for selling "Airfare, cruises and vacation packages", but no restrictions on "Lodging rentals, such as homes, apartments, condos, and timeshare weeks." They do have to have the disclaimer:

But would the onus be on them to prove they are booking directly and not through an outside agency (like RCI) or would you be the one having to prove that they are?

The buyer always has to right to ask the seller to provide confirmation that they have the right to rent the unit in question. The Ebay disclaimer also comes into play as the seller of an exchange is indeed a third party, not the travel agent or travel provider.

The seller of an exchange would provide an RCI or II Guest Certificate both of which state that rental of the exchange is prohibited.

PinkTink63

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just wrote to the one who has the one I am interested in on eBay and asked if they were going to put it back in the system since it is not rented and the check-in date is 9/2.
They responded with "I have 6 offers on it so it will get rented. Call me at 6105645348 to discuss and maybe you can stay here if you beat others in your offer." This is soooo upsetting!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just wrote to the one who has the one I am interested in on eBay and asked if they were going to put it back in the system since it is not rented and the check-in date is 9/2.
They responded with "I have 6 offers on it so it will get rented. Call me at 6105645348 to discuss and maybe you can stay here if you beat others in your offer." This is soooo upsetting!!!

Now with the check in being so close one could buy that item and request a confirmation. When the seller cant provide a legit confirmation the buyer would refuse to pay ,seller ask to cancel the auction. That can take time with all the back and forth. The seller could end up not renting the unit. :D

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score

If they really had 6 offers,wouldn't you think they'd have taken one by now?

MIDisfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now with the check in being so close one could buy that item and request a confirmation. When the seller cant provide a legit confirmation the buyer would refuse to pay ,seller ask to cancel the auction. That can take time with all the back and forth. The seller could end up not renting the unit. :D

Wouldn't the seller be able to call DVC, transfer the reservation and provide the buyer with a Disney confirmation # within a few minutes of an auction win?

PinkTink63

TUG Member
Reaction score
A guest certificate would have to be purchased because it is in his name. I don't know how quick that info shows up?!

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
A guest certificate would have to be purchased because it is in his name. I don't know how quick that info shows up?!

When I purchased a guest certificate for my coworker and family to go to a dvc resort, it took a few days for the info to get to dvc. This was at 6 months out, but I don't really see any scenario where it would be instant as the rci to dvc process seems to be a less than speedy one.

MIDisfan

TUG Member
Reaction score

I forgot about that small detail :eek:. The seller would still have a legit Disney confirmation # but it would probably take at least a week to get the reservation switched over.

Seems like RCI is content to look the other way so long as they get their exchange fees and guest cert fees on top of that.

PinkTink63

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I purchased a guest certificate for my coworker and family to go to a dvc resort, it took a few days for the info to get to dvc. This was at 6 months out, but I don't really see any scenario where it would be instant as the rci to dvc process seems to be a less than speedy one.

PinkTink63

TUG Member
Reaction score
He replied to me on Redweek and eBay not knowing I was the same person and now tells me I can have it! He also tried to tell me that I couldn't get this trough RCI because it is some special collection!!. He wants me to pay way more than it would cost me to get it! He also told me that he has insurance on it so he will not cancel it until tomorrow afternoon which is the check-in day!! What's' up with that!!? I had a very long conversation with a supervisor at RCI yesterday because I was so darn mad!!

PinkTink63

TUG Member
Reaction score
I forgot about that small detail :eek:. The seller would still have a legit Disney confirmation # but it would probably take at least a week to get the reservation switched over.

Seems like RCI is content to look the other way so long as they get their exchange fees and guest cert fees on top of that.

It seems so!! I am talking to Disney next!!

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
http://www.provacationplanner.com/grab-and-go/

Check this one out on eBay!! Yeah, RCI really polices this!! This is ridiculous!!!

I notice that this "provactionplanner" site mentions a 24-hold:
"All rooms in inventory are on a 24 hour hold form [sic] the date place [sic] on the web site."

These are pretty clearly RCI exchanges. DVC doesn't have any sort of 24-hour hold.

MIDisfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I notice that this "provactionplanner" site mentions a 24-hold:
"All rooms in inventory are on a 24 hour hold form [sic] the date place [sic] on the web site."

These are pretty clearly RCI exchanges. DVC doesn't have any sort of 24-hour hold.

On his "About Us" page he even mentions his exchange company. I'm not sure what more, short of a confession, RCI needs to see before they determine someone is renting out exchanges.

PinkTink63

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's what I don't get! Some of these people don't even conceal the facts that they are exchanges!!

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The have reserved several RCI DVC exchange weeks and are renting the weeks on EBay for $1699 for each week.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
The have reserved several RCI DVC exchange weeks and are renting the weeks on EBay for $1699 for each week.

Are you serious!:eek:
That's outrageous !
I don't own any DVC but do own in the area, I would not rent for that much, and you think these are exchangers that are doing this! I have been timesharing a long time and can't believe this! Why do they have to ruin the concept of timesharing with greed?
Silentg

PinkTink63

TUG Member
Reaction score

There are also the ones on Redweek and other rental places. These people have made a business out of it!! One of the people I spoke to at RCI about this told me they are aware of it. They have turned people into there legal dept and they have talked about making Disney 1/4 rule!. I said, "So because of the cheaters, the people who follow the rules get punished!?"☹️

decadude

TUG Member
Reaction score
This ticks me off

Man I am on here off and on and this does tick me off. I know I sound like a conspiracy theorist in my thoughts but I wonder if its RCI executives doing it....lol

I will go with everyone elses theory a lot of these companies don't care as long as it does not hurt their revenue.

Google is like this you can report a competitor that is doing blackhat SEO tactics til your blue in the face they will take ZERO action. I own a website that is a business and two competitors are doing this and I have lost count how many times I have reported them for cheating and Google does nothing. Experts say Google will not take action even though the competitors are blatantly not playing fair.

This seems to be the same annoying paradox. I actually am at a DVC on an RCI exchange now with the family. Now what pisses me off is these guys that are doing this commercial renting jazz makes it more difficult for my family and I to get into certain harder to rent RCI exchanges.

I would be 100% fine with RCI banning the gift exchange program on DVC but that will never happen bc that hurts revenue for RCI.

Money is the root of all evil

:mad:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
... One of the people I spoke to at RCI about this told me they are aware of it. They have turned people into there legal dept and they have talked about making Disney 1/4 rule!

I could live with a 1 in 2 year rule .... it takes me that long to save up the money for the tickets into the parks, fine dining and the new Disney gear. :D

ADDED: I have never rented an exchange into DVC ... but I have done multiple DVC vacation stays. Took my recently widow sister twice one year ... she had more fun during F&W festival, but enjoyed Disney way more than she ever did while living 10+ years in South Florida. I took my favorite nephew at age 12 to WDW/AKV during ML King Holiday Week ... parents agreed to missing 4 half school days ONLY because he had almost perfect attendance during Sep-Oct-Nov-Dec ... way, way better than the 40+ full days he missed in EACH of his last few years in elementary school. But I went for a week in early December to PLAN my attack/action plan for his visit in midJanaury. Always know more about the place and rides than the 12yo with a skewed perception due to ADHD or other sensory issues (only had to stop ONE ride all week to get him off before he freaked).

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
or even no more than 2 units per year per RCI account would at least cut down on the rentals.

I've never reserved one but the commercial renting bugs me.

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Wyndham Ocean Blvd, Wyndham Seawatch, Wyndham Fairfield Ten
I would not be happy if they started with a 1in 2 or 4 rule. We go to Disney more than once a year and if I can exchange at least one trip it saves me a ton of money. I hope that others don't ruin it for the rest of us that use the system the way it was meant to be used.