• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Raintree] Help Needed - Confused - Supposed to close this week!!!

Binspira

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree
Was planning to close on a resale Raintree Timeshare for no money except the $499 transfer fee this week!!! 130,000 points for $1,800 mf/yr - 30 years left on the contract. We currently have a Raintree timeshare and pay $1,200 for 50,000 points so thought this was a really good value. We live in CA and mostly would use the West Coast, including Rockies, Whistler, Mexico once every so often and would like to trade to Hawaii. I like the trade value of RCI yet looks likes it's hard to find good properties. Our thought was this is a better value/upgrade from our current Raintree membership and that our 130,000 points could take us further and get us better timeframes when needed.

However, I saw the chart posted with the Timeshare comparisons and saw that Raintree was not listed and made me wonder how much I do not know about the bigger picture timeshare game. Personally, I don't need it drilled down to the last penny, just need to be a right match for empty nesters who can travel many times a year - we like nicer properties and have flexibility with our travel - ie can book in advance or go shorter term. We like when there are 2 and 3 BR options so our grown kids can join us.

Any suggestions? Not sure how Raintree stacks up to some of the others? The Wyndam and Worldmark look interesting because of the # of properties. Yet, I don't understand how Raintree stacks up. My gut is RT is limited w/ a lot of Mexico properties, yet, we've found a couple of nice properties in the Rockies and Whistler that suit us.

Any advice from more experience timesharers?

Thanks in advance.

Binspira

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
There was NO Raintree on the chart, as there was NO ONE with Raintree experience to add significant info to the chart.

So it either means there is no one who volunteered, or it is a relatively small population that is represented on TUG. I know nothing about Raintree, the chart was made up by a bunch of owners who where very familiar with the section that they helped volunteered to craft. There was discussions if we had multiple participants for a specific resort system. No one volunteered Raintree info. I contributed mostly to Wyndham and HGVC and a little to HICV. I own those systems and know them.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Unfortunately, Raintree does not seem to be well-regarded on TUG due to their high fees and rules which are unfriendly to owners. It is a resort that people often say they want to give away or sell.

To answer your specific questions - it does not stack up well agains other resort systems.

Last edited:

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I've owned Raintree for a number of years and have used their resorts in Mexico. They used to be associated with Westin there but have been "disconnected", likely since the Westin Hotels in Mexico are converting to Vistana timeshares.

I converted to the Raintree 7 plan a couple of years ago and will be out of the program in a few years. I've no complaints and the Mexico locations have always been good for me.

Cheers

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We were RVC Members for several years. We loved the Cabo Resort. We use to go in the Winter and watch the Whales Play from our Patio. We also stayed at RVC Cancun and had a good time. We had friend that stayed in Birch Bay and Kona and had a great time. Patti decided we had too much timeshare and so we gave our RVC to a Friend for the Transfer fees. RVC was not good at Maintenance or Management. If you stayed at WM ParkCity in its first year with WM you could see all the delayed maintenance WYN was doing. When we joined RVC had a Contract for Management and Maintenance with Westin for many of the locations. Westin was not fulfilling their side of the Contract and it was cancelled. WYN has taken over Management and Maintenence at many of the USA locations. It also appears that in additional to partial transfers in the USA at a number of Resorts from RVC to WYN/WM that Isla Mujeres and Zihuatanejo were transferred in total from RVC to WYN/WM. I am still tempted to pickup one of the 80,000 RVC Accounts on Ebay. That sized Account gives you a 2 bedroom in High Season for a week in Cabo.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
For the cost it sounds ok - based on your liking the properties .

We stayed at Raintree Club Regina Cancun on an RCI exchange & it is a good property
We also have seen & liked the Raintree CR in the Puerto Vallarta Marina since it is next door to the PV Marina Mayan Palace where we own .

The TUG members who have posted - mostly are using RVC for Mexico

T_R_Oglodyte / Steve Nelson
DonnaD

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Binspara, if you like your current 50,000 point Raintree (RVC) timeshare, you're right that the 130,000 point ($.014/pt) membership is a better value if you can use all those points. Just be aware that you cannot combine your two memberships into one contract. Since your current Raintree contract expires in 5 years, that might not be a factor you're concerned about.

FWIW, I've had an 80,000 point contract for many years (originally a Club Regina Los Cabos contract), and have made good use of it in RVC (Cabo and Puerto Vallarta Club/Grand Reginas) and RCI over the years. I'm far from an expert on the system, but we've traded into Disney properties a few times, Hiltons in Las Vegas, Hawaii and Breckenridge, among others. Our kids used it every year for Whistler when they lived in Seattle. We've also been able to use the free "bonus" points (another 80,000) to make reservations 60 days or less out. I currently have several RCI weeks booked with my Raintree points (same value as RCI points) for a family reunion in Sedona this year.

I don't think RVC is a bad timeshare system to own, if you do your research and it fits your needs. You can find free timeshares in many different timeshare systems, including Hilton, Vistana, Marriott, Diamond, Wyndham, etc. As you probably know, RVC had a shake up a few years ago, and the special assessment was very poorly executed, ended up in litigation, and it was rolled back. Members who paid it were given extra vacation weeks vs a refund. MF's were subsequently increased to balance the books. Since then, I believe RVC has made an attempt to be more transparent and responsive to owners. They offered the Raintree 7 program to shorten contracts. Like x3skier, we signed up for that, as our contract expired in 2042, and we thought it provided a good "exit plan" for us. Like most timeshares, Raintree contracts do not have a good resale value, even though the larger contracts can be put to good use.

Good luck on your decision!

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'd be more concerned about the fall-out from breaking your contract to purchase.
Assuming you do have a valid contract, failure to honor it could leave you liable for damages.
The question is, will not buying the TS result in buying a heap of trouble? <just sayin'>

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
We live in CA and mostly would use the West Coast, including Rockies, Whistler, Mexico once every so often and would like to trade to Hawaii. I like the trade value of RCI yet looks likes it's hard to find good properties.
You should look into resale WorldMark. It has all your destinations with no exchange fees.

A resale owner can join either Interval International or RCI through their WM ownership. Interval International has some nice properties in Hawaii, if you can plan ahead and put in an ongoing search more than a year in advance.

Binspira

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree
We are leaning toward Hyatt at this point - Best mix of properties for us and it appears relatively easy to trade with enough advance notice. And seem that Interval is possibly better trade system to trade outside of Hyatt. Lastly, seems w/ Hyatt being purchased they will be on a possible growth path, yet Raintree could be on decay path.

Thank you everyone for your input - crazy amount of information to digest... yet good stuff..

Binspira