• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Quick Turnaround Information Needed

Cheapseater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey all you TUGGERS in Yankeeland or just mere visitors. I have back to back weeks reserved for Samoset Resort in Maine.

Simple question- should we stay 2 weeks at Samoset or 1 week at Samoset and another week on Cape Cod?

Are any of the TS's on the Cape better than staying an extra week on the Maine coast? I lean to staying 2 weeks on the Maine coast but I am very open to being persuaded otherwise.

Please review and throw out you thoughts as I only have the 2nd week at Samoset on hold for the next 26 hours.

Thanks greatly!

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
What time of year?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I really think it's a matter of preference. I have never stayed at a timeshare on Cape Cod, but we did stay at the Samoset for a week during the off season (Easter week). We stayed in a motel on Cape Cod and did whale watching out of Province town and went to the big dunes beach, etc.

What weeks are you talking about? Summer on the Cape is crowded depending where you go. Maine is very busy also, but easier to get around I think. A lot to see in Maine if you don't mind driving. Acadia National Park is about 2 hours from Samoset. You can even drive up to Moosehead Lake. South also plenty to see and do.

If it were me I would stay in Maine, but that is just my preference. Cape Cod is beautiful. I am sure others can comment on the timeshares there and best places to visit.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on what you call a vacation. If it is relaxation and exploring a bit - the Maine will probably be ok. If you wish to have more options for sightseeing than just relaxing....I would probably change the second week to something else. In the area I would suggest: White Mountain area of New Hampshire, Cape Cod, Newport, RI.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The second and third week of June 2017 are the weeks at issue.

OK. So you would be going before school lets out, so not peak season yet. Therefore, as mdurette said, if you want to do some sightseeing and some relaxing, staying in that area of Maine for 2 weeks would be fine.

But if you want to change things up a bit, visiting the Cape or maybe other parts of New England might be preferable in terms of more sightseeing for the second week.

Again, really depends on what you like to do.

Just remember, in the beginning of June, it can still be a bit chilly in New England. The water is cold.

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I live in Maine, and lived on Cape Cod for 4 years as well as vacationed there, too.

I would lean towards a week in each area----assuming you can get a trade into both.

If you had asked if you should spend both weeks on Cape Cod, vs. a week at each-----it would have been harder for me to answer.

Samoset is probably equal or a little higher in quality to Brewster Green on the Cape.
Keep in mind many of the timeshares on Cape Cod aren't all that 'fancy'.

Could you get Harbor Ridge for your second week in Maine?----Acadia Nat'l Park, etc.

Pat

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
One Yankee's $0.02 worth...

Simple question- should we stay 2 weeks at Samoset or 1 week at Samoset and another week on Cape Cod?

Are any of the TS's on the Cape better than staying an extra week on the Maine coast? I lean to staying 2 weeks on the Maine coast but I am very open to being persuaded otherwise.

Please review and throw out you thoughts as I only have the 2nd week at Samoset on hold for the next 26 hours.

Thanks greatly!

Far too many unknowns here to give well informed feedback (e.g., age of your family members / children, your / their personal activity interests, etc., etc.
Also, you don't specify whether (or where) the second week is actually an available option for you to "lock up" on Cape Cod (...perhaps just at Samoset?).
Accordingly, I'll offer a personal opinion which is admittedly based upon too little provided information.

Personally, unless that second week could be obtained very specifically at Brewster Green on Cape Cod (a highly unlikely exchange in late June, IMnsHO), I'd be inclined to spend both weeks at Samoset. If you could get that second week at Brewster Green however, I'd do so and impart some variety to your vacation.

Both areas have been home (year round) to us for some years either previously or currently and I love both places, but frankly wouldn't be very interested in staying in any Cape Cod timeshare except Brewster Green. Just my personal opinion, others might very well disagree. YMMV.

P.S. We own at Samoset. Please note that Samoset actually has differently defined timeshare "weeks" on property. In Buildings I and II, all weeks are "Friday to Friday", whereas in Building III all weeks are "Saturday to Saturday". This fact could be relevant to you if the two "consecutive" weeks being offered to you are defined differently, possibly leaving you without lodging for one night in between the two "consecutive" weeks, if that very real possibility even matters to you. :shrug:

Last edited:

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
Another vote for 2 weeks in Maine. I've only been to Cape Cod once, last year, and will never return. Been to Maine a dozen times and love everything about it!

We've stayed at Samoset and liked it, but I agree that if you could get a second week at Harbor Ridge that would be ideal.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Another vote for 2 weeks in Maine. I've only been to Cape Cod once, last year, and will never return. Been to Maine a dozen times and love everything about it!

We've stayed at Samoset and liked it, but I agree that if you could get a second week at Harbor Ridge that would be ideal.

I would stay 2 weeks in Maine, because I have only been there one day trip years ago. We own a week on Cape Cod and have been many times to many parts, I love it, but would want to try something new. Have fun either way and let us know what you decide.
Silentg

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Another vote for Maine!

I live around an hour south of Samoset. We went there last year for April break. I was worried about the kids being bored. I shouldn't have even given that a second thought! And you'll have so much more going on at the time of year that you'll be there....the outdoor pool should be open, there will be golf, etc. We could have filled two weeks with no problem...and we weren't really all that far from home! Loved it!

Good luck as you decide. Most any vacation is a good vacation, in my opinion. ;)

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
As a yearly visitor to both places, they both have their attraction. However if you have 2 weeks reserved at Samoset, I would spend them there. Samoset is a bit off my usual track, but there is the Acadia option and also a long day trip to Campobello is not out of the question. In two weeks you can see a lot of that Maine area and it will be less crowded than the Cape. For me this year, it's the Cape in May and Maine in June and September.

Cheapseater

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK TUGGERS OF THE NORTHEAST...and visitor TUGGERS
we listened and elected to follow your advice to spend back to back weeks at Samoset.

Now that the easy part is over and since we will be there in Maine in less than 8 weeks, please share any thoughts on the following-

DAY TRIPS- (we will visit the ANP with a couple of days)

SEAFOOD- I have heard all about Maine Lobster so just where are the best outside dining venues? Prefer the local establishments and no "fine" dining.

LOCAL SHOPPING - artisans, consignment, farmers markets, etc

RECOMMENDED SITES OR EXPERIENCES -

ISLAND OR FERRY TRIPS -

WILDLIFE VIEWING LOCATIONS-

WALKS- (we have several already but if you have any can't miss please throw it out)

LL BEAN ET AL- OK we have LL Bean but any other MAINE places that we should stop?

THANKS TO ALL! YOU ALL ARE THE BEST!

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lucky you! I consulted with my kiddos this evening on your behalf. :) Here are some of the things we love about the Camden/Rockland/Rockport area.

1) Owl's Head Transportation Museum, coupled with a trip to the Owl's Head Lighthouse, and the Owl's Head General Store.
2) Reny's....it's a Maine chain department store, and it's great fun. There's one in Camden.
3) The Grasshopper Shoppe...a small department store on Main St in Rockland, with all kinds of stuff you didn't know you wanted.
4) Camden Hills State Park....drive or walk up Mt. Battie for gorgeous views. And memorize an Edna St. Vincent Millay poem before you go!
5) Sherman's Bookstore in Camden. This family never passes up a bookstore!
6) The Farnsworth Art Museum (and if you haven't yet read A Piece of the World by Christina Baker Kline about the relationship between Christina Olsen and the Wyeth's...get on your library's interlibrary loan list!)

We've only visited in the off-season, and we don't usually eat out much. I'm sure others will chime in with places to eat and more summery things to do. Enjoy....I'm jealous!

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Lobster is lobster and it's cooked in boiling water, so no big difference as to where you get it as long as they drop it in the boiling water alive. I'm not a fan and haven't had any lobster since the early 1980's and that includes many trips to Maine when my stepson worked on a lobster boat there.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tony....it's the little buggy eyes that get me. :) Can't eat it, either. BLECH. But the haddock is amazing in these parts!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I love lobster! But I do not want to see any eyes!

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Not sure if 99 or Legal Seafood have restaurants in Maine because they both have great seafood. You can get lobster tails if the eyes bother you. A trip to New England always includes some lobster.
You could get a lobster roll sandwich too!
Have fun!
Silentg

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not sure if 99 or Legal Seafood have restaurants in Maine because they both have great seafood. You can get lobster tails if the eyes bother you. A trip to New England always includes some lobster.
You could get a lobster roll sandwich too!
Have fun!
Silentg
Yes...99 is in Maine. One of our favorite places to eat (if the Sox win, kids eat free!)

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another recommendation for Owl's Head Light and Reny's.

Also, I highly recommend a day sail out of Camden. We were first timers on the OLAD and the captain was great. DH got to be sailor for a day, hoisting sails right along with the crew. I can see now why so many love sailing!

We also enjoyed walking on the breakwater out to the Rockland Lighthouse, especially at sunset, and were awarded with stunning views.

Beauchamp's Point is a beautiful area to take in more scenic views combined with a little hiking if that is something you enjoy. Here you'll find a different view of Rockport Harbor, the Children's Chapel (beautiful gardens!) and Belted Galloway Cows.

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Samoset is a wonderful resort, the only downside being the kitchenettes are even smaller than most partial or mini-kitchens. They are very short on counter space and if I recall correctly, didn't have room for even a toaster.

Do walk out to the lighthouse but do it your first day. From the resort, it appears much closer than it is (about 3/4 of a mile -- each way). If you see it from the side, you might not go.

Recommend taking the ferry for a day trip to Vinalhaven. We were there in April a couple of years ago and most of the transit was in fog and many of the shops in Vinalhaven were closed for the season. (One had a sign, "Open by chance.") June should make for a more pleasant and scenic ferry ride and more places might be open.