TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Questions for Maui Ocean Club Owners - New Towers or Original

Discussion in 'Marriott Vacation Club' started by JIMinNC, Aug 30, 2017.

1. SueDonJ

SueDonJ Moderator

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
    You can't bank lock-off components to the next year through an internal MVW mechanism, but you could deposit them to II and request intervals that match to existing reservations, ultimately ending up with (for example) a 1BR owned component and a 1BR II exchange during one year, then a Studio owned component and a Studio II exchange unit during another.

It'd require you to watch your dates carefully for reserving, depositing and requesting, but it could be done.

I might be confused by what you're saying about EOY Weeks and the 13-mos Reservation Window but just in case ...

If you have two EOY lock-off Weeks with usage in the same year, the 13-mos window can be used if you book both of those Weeks, or lock-off components from both of them, consecutively or concurrently. But if you have two EOY lock-off Weeks with one having even-year usage and the other odd, you can't use the 13-mos window to book the individual lock-off components of each in their designated use years.

2. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

Thanks @SueDonJ. Yes, I was referring to owning 2 EOY in the same year. So it sounds like one could get priority booking in year one. How difficult would it be to get an II match to MOC oceanfront for year 2? Does the fact that you have 2 studio units earn any priority for booking? or would one be most likely in an Island view exchange in year 2?

3. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Barony Beach Club, HHI
    Marriott Destination Club Points
    Thanks to everyone for all of the input on my original question. I've been busy watching Irma the last few days and keeping track of our daughter who was riding out the storm in her dorm at University of Florida, so I've been a little slow to say thanks.

After re-reading the thread a couple times, I'm considerably less enthusiastic about the prospect of becoming a single-week MOC owner and taking on the booking frustrations. Buying a second week at somewhere like Waiohai seems like the best way to maximize the booking odds, but I'm not really enthusiastic about needing to buy a second week just to be able to effectively use the Maui week. We would almost always stay in Hawaii for two weeks, but while we would definitely want to go to Maui Ocean Club every trip (we love Kaanapali, the beach walk, and the whole vibe there), we would prefer to alternate the second week between the other islands from trip-to-trip.

Not sure what we're going to do. There are a few attractive listings out there for EOY MOC weeks right now, but none of the purchase strategies seem to work for us.

- DC Points fit our needs the best and would be the simplest way to go, but for a place like Maui where we would go on a regular basis, booking each time with points is not very cost effective.
    - Buying an EOY week on Maui would be cost effective, but if we have to buy a second week we don't really want/need just to effectively book that Maui week, that option doesn't really work either.
    - A hybrid bundle built around a Maui week checks most of our boxes by providing us an efficient week to use plus the flexibility of points for switching things up, but I'm not quite ready to spend $30K+ on this Maui thing.

So, I guess I'm back to the drawing board...:shrug:

4. JoJo12

JoJo12 TUG Member

Jim,

I have been following your quandary and very complete posts about all the options. What we have decided to do is buy a legacy fixed week in one of the new MOC towers and totally eliminate the booking uncertainty. The extra cost is worth it for us. Maybe they will even have a stable value if MOC floating weeks become even more difficult to book!

Over the years I have done all the tricks of miles and points, but now I don't want the hassle of knowing if I can go where and when I want to go since it will be with grandkids.

Pam

5. csodjd

csodjd TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
    If you own a floating week, and a fixed week, does that qualify you for the 13 month window for booking the floating week if you were to book it concurrently or consecutively with the fixed week?

6. TXTortoise

TXTortoise TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Maui Ocean Club
    MOC Lahaina
    Vail Streamside Birch
    Yes, according to the one Marriott Rep I spoke to.

7. BocaBoy

BocaBoy TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Maui Ocean Club--Lahaina/Napili Villas; Ko Olina Beach Club; Grand Chateau
    You are correct, the first reservation in the string must not be farther out than 13 months. But your matching up of check-in dates should not be an issue because you would reserve the whole string in one call at 13 months ahead of the first check-in date of the string.

8. GregT

GregT TUG Member TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, DC Points HGVC: HHV Lagoon, Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), Aulani, Worldmark
    Yes it does -- I have fixed MOC weeks (22 - 25) and have been booking float weeks for Week 26 and 27 and using 13 months from the very first Week 22. So, in this application, Ko Olina Week 26 has become something like a fixed week for me, and I book it 14 months in advance.

Best,

Greg

9. csodjd

csodjd TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
    Clever. Costly because of the increased cost of fixed weeks, but it's a door to getting a 3rd or 4th "fixed" week at the cost of a floating week, since at 13.5 or 14 months you're pretty well certain to get what you want. Also explains why inventory, even at 13 mo, can be reduced.

10. Aztraveler

Aztraveler TUG Member

We own two weeks at MOC and usually split our 2 bedroom and spend two weeks in the Spring and two in the Fall. In the past, I have had little problem obtaining Spring reservations at the 52 week release and did have some issues with the 13 month time period when we stayed longer in the Spring. The fall has always been easy. The last three years have been difficult for Spring reservations. I always used the internet at the release time 52 weeks in advance. Here is a summary of my experiences:
    1. Spring 2016 Reservation -- Could not obtain the Saturday check-in we desired, but a few weeks later those dates became available and we made the change.
    2. Spring 2017 Reservation -- The on-line reservation system crashed on the day to make reservations. I could not get through on the phone until two hours later. Nothing was available for our request. We are flexible and waited a week and tried again. System crashed again, but on the phone simultaneously and got the first week for a Friday check-in. The second week, for our lock-off, same issue, but able to book a Sunday check-in. Decided to stay in Paia for the night between reservations. Everyone was having issues with the on-line system during this period. I think they were "improving" the system.
    3. Spring 2018 Reservation -- All going well with the on-line system, clicked "Confirm", got response "No Availability". On phone at same time, agent was less than helpful and stated the system give multiple users the same time and whoever hits "Confirm" first gets it. Seems like a system issue to me, but who am I to judge. Agent basically told me "tough luck". On the way, to the airport for the first leg of our journey called again and was able to speak with an agent who used a 13-month strategy to get us booked for the two weeks on a Sunday arrival. Later had to rearrange some things he did for us, but it all worked out.
    All these were done at the 52 week mark. We are flexible and everything worked out and we will enjoy MOC. For the ten years before the 2016 Reservation, we had absolutely no issues at 52 weeks. You can make your judgments, regarding our recent experience. We are legacy owners and I attribute these issues to the DC program. At the same time, when discussing this with MOC management, they tell me MOC has the least DC reservations available because most owners use their weeks. We will see what the future holds.

Good luck with your decision. In parting, all I have to add is that MOC and Maui are fabulous! We feel lucky to be there whenever.

JoJo12 likes this.
  11. Dean

Dean TUG Member

One can buy a week (or 2) elsewhere to rent out or use for trades to have the same effect for a LOT less both up front and yearly. If you buy one that's a lockoff AND has a Thursday check in, you're actually ahead of the situation described.

12. JoJo12

JoJo12 TUG Member

Dean

Where would you suggest those extra weeks be at?

13. Dean

Dean TUG Member

I think it depends, it's essentially the same question as a trading unit in general. IMO the best option depends a little based on the situation but I think there are 2 methods that fit many people. One is to just buy something that's a good trading options, has a Thursday start, somewhat reasonable fees and lockoff's. Willow Ridge, Grande Vista and Harbour Club come to mind but there may be others. The other is to try to compromise to something that you will actually use and fits most of those criteria, maybe something like Ocean Pointe.