• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Questions for an HGVC Expert

chipman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sorry to bother the forum ...... but as posted last year I purchased an EOY Marbrisa fixed week 30 2br 7000 points from a reseller. After closing and recieving deed I never got an HGVC activation form so I never actually activated a membership with HGVC. My use week coming up is 2017. While in Carlsbad I checked at the Marbrisa which I already have my Grand Pacific Marbrisa Gold card. Now when I went to use the resort for day use they informed me my HGVC account was not anywhere to be found, they also acted like for me to use the pool and day use I had to be Elite Status. I am now trying to activate my HGVC account but before I do I have several questions.
  1. Do I have to be Elite to use Marbrisa for Day Use or any other HGVC resort?
  2. Am I going to have to pay $150.00 every year to maintain HGVC status?
  3. I own at Grand Pacific Palisade EOY Week 31, I use these weeks should I convert to HGVC?
  4. Should I purchase more HGVC points to take advantage of my membership?
  5. If So which resort do you get the most bang for your dollar as far as MF vs Points?

Please any other advice would be so much appreciated I know there are some awesome HGVC experts here please chime in. Thanks so much in advance for the help.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Day use should be on your deed.

The original contracts before HGVC was involved were sold by GP and included day use.

Day use has nothing to do with Elite. That sounds like sales stuff.

Subsequent units sold by HGVC did not include day use.

Yours may have been converted by the original owner who paid for it. It's not worth paying to convert your GPP. You can find resales already converted.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
First off, don't be sorry to ask questions in the forum. When you ask questions, we all learn something.
  1. Do I have to be Elite to use Marbrisa for Day Use or any other HGVC resort?
  2. Am I going to have to pay $150.00 every year to maintain HGVC status?
  3. I own at Grand Pacific Palisade EOY Week 31, I use these weeks should I convert to HGVC?
  4. Should I purchase more HGVC points to take advantage of my membership?
  5. If So which resort do you get the most bang for your dollar as far as MF vs Points?
First off, don't be sorry to ask questions in the forum. When you ask questions, we all learn something. It's what keeps the whole place alive.
Regarding your questions:
1.) To the best of my knowledge, nobody ever gets day use at HGVC properties. GPR owners get day use at their home resort (usually), but HGVC does not offer that.
2.) Yes. Hilton raises fees. So, you'll pay $150/year and even more when they raise the fee.
3.) If you use your Grand Pacific week, there's no reason to change it to HGVC. Besides, they will only change it to HGVC if you buy a developer week from them.
4.) No. Only buy another contract if you continually run out of points and don't mind paying another MF bill every year.
5.) The older Vegas properties and some of the Hawaii weeks are considered best deals as far as MFs for points each year.

The old contracts for Marbrisa had day use in them. When HGVC took over, they got rid of day use. People with the really old contracts still have day use. At the other GPR in Carlsbad, your ID or your owner card gives you day use. That doesn't work at Marbrisa.

It's possible that you won't be able to enroll your week in HGVC at this point. If it was transferred as a regular Marbrisa contract, you should have paid around $450 to transfer it. If it was transferred as a HGVC contract, you would have paid $995. to transfer it. If you paid $995 and don't have access to HGVC, you need to contact the person you bought it from. They did something wrong.

chipman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have my deed and wondering if it includes Day use

My deed states it was originally recorded in May 16th 2006 Park view vacation unit 2br 2 ba unit type A the deed goes on to say a floating unit fixed use week 30 in each odd use year. Is there any way by reading my deed if I can find out if I have day use. It appears there is no value in owning with HGVC since basically the units cant be resold or you loose all benefits and then you are treated like a second rate citizen when you try to use them. Please help Anyone please direct me on what I should do just resell the unit and buy at GPP since HGVC and GPP are no longer working together on anything. Thank you for your help please.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
You could call Grand Pacific Resorts and ask them about your day use. I also recommend what Presley suggested which is to call the reseller who sold it to you. They should be able to fix your HGVC membership.

I disagree that having HGVC has no value and that they treat non HGVC as second class citizens. That said, how do YOU want to use your ownership? If you only want to stay at Marbrisa every other year with your fixed week then save your HGVC fee. If you want to mix it up and use your 7000 points in other HGVC resorts every now and then you can have that option.

I own a resale fixed week 30 at GPP with 8400 points. So far I have only used my week. However, my kids will eventually outgrow Legoland and when that happens I look forward to swapping my week for those points, to be used at HGVC resorts or RCI. In the meantime, I can take advantage of HGVC open season if I wish.

chipman

TUG Member
Reaction score
That said, how do YOU want to use your ownership? If you only want to stay at Marbrisa every other year with your fixed week then save your HGVC fee. If you want to mix it up and use your 7000 points in other HGVC resorts every now and then you can have that option.

I was told that in order to own a Marbrisa you have to enroll in HGVC if that was not the case it would be perfect I just want to use the week at Marbrisa I would even prefer to use it at GPP Please let me know if that's the case I would do that for sure.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
My deed states it was originally recorded in May 16th 2006 Park view vacation unit 2br 2 ba unit type A the deed goes on to say a floating unit fixed use week 30 in each odd use year. Is there any way by reading my deed if I can find out if I have day use.
My deed at Seapointe says it includes day use in the description where it explains the unit. It sounds like your deed does not say that.
I was told that in order to own a Marbrisa you have to enroll in HGVC if that was not the case it would be perfect I just want to use the week at Marbrisa I would even prefer to use it at GPP Please let me know if that's the case I would do that for sure.
There are plenty of older deeds at Marbrisa that are not enrolled in HGVC. Those contracts are rare. You may already have one of those. You'll need to call GPR owner services (888) 477-6967 to ask them what your Marbrisa contract entitles you to. Explain you were sold a HGVC unit and never had any of the paperwork to enroll in HGVC. They will be able to look at the history of the unit and tell you if it ever was HGVC or not. Ask about the day use. They will also explain the booking process.

Chances are, you have an old Marbrisa contract that isn't part of HGVC and you can just use it at Marbrisa like you want to. If you'd rather stay at GPP, you have to trade the week through GPX or RCI. If you like GPP better than Marbrisa, eventually, you'll want to buy another GPP week and get rid of the Marbrisa one. The taxes for Marbrisa seem really high compared to GPP to me.

chipman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the help Presley Couple more observations

Thank you so much for the help Presley Couple more observations I have received a copy of my deed after complete review of the deed I do not see anything that mentions HGVC or Hilton or HHonors in my deed they only speak of Grand Pacific MarBrisa Resort May 16th 2006
with Parcel 3 being: Membership for each grantee hereunder in Grand Pacific MarBrisa Owners association,Inc a California nonprofit mutual benefit corporation.

Thats it no mention anywhere of HGVC or Hilton Please advise if anyone has more info or can look at there deed.

Thanks a million this is driving me crazy:shrug:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
It sounds like you have one of the older GPR deeds, HGVC took over development of new units about 2010.

You should have a welcome letter from GPR with instructions to create an online account with GPX. You should also have filled out a profile with AVCO as part of the transfer process, they collect maintenance fees.

I would start by calling the GPX offices, they should have your owner records.

http://www.gpxvacations.com/contact.aspx

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

chipman

TUG Member
Reaction score
GPR and GPX both have records of my ownership I have a meeting in 15 minutes at marbrisa with the Grand Pacific people I have a copy of my deed with me to go over with them and try to get to the bottom of this I feel you are correct Presley since my intentions are to use the week and not trade or go elsewhere I may be better off just purchasing a fixed week 30 at Grand Pacific Palisades

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Go get em Chipman, let us know how it turns out.

I suspect the day use will not include the super pool, which HGVC built after taking over. It's a shame really because the last time I was there they could have used the extra business.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
IDK, I don't think they meet with people to to explain resale purchases made through postcard companies. I think it's going to be a sales presentation.

chipman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Postcard companies ?????

to explain resale purchases made through postcard companies.

What is a postcard company? Just wondering. I did meet with a salesman who tried to explain to me he did not think I had any options but I then met with someone from transfer section and they are looking into my options and will be getting back to me next week.