*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. With the upgrade to the new forum, tapatalk is not functioning properly and we have had little to no support from them in fixing the problem. That said, the new forum is fully configured to support mobile devices so if you are missing being able to visit TUG on your phone try disabling tapatalk and just using your phone/tablet browser to see the new look!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Questions: Driving car, taking ferry--Crossing rules

Discussion in 'Canada Timesharing' started by Cathyb, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Cathyb

Cathyb Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

:cheer: Hi Tuggers: We're driving from Portland to the Washington ferry into Victoria, B.C. and 5 days later we are taking the ferry from Victoria to Vancouver. Questions

1. Do we need to unload our luggage from the car when we are crossing on the ferry? :eek:

2. Do we stay IN the car when crossing?

3. Can we bring fruit or cheese sticks into Canada via ferry? How about cans of tuna?

4. Any other caveats on using the ferry?

We have reservations for the 2pm crossing to Victoria in early August. This will be the middle of our 20 day driving trip from San Diego area. Thank you for any advice on what food we need to 'eat' before getting to the first ferry.

Thank you for ANY tips!

2. BevL

BevL TUG Lifetime Member

I've never done the ferry from Washington State to Victoria, but imagine it would be the same except for clearing customs and immigration.

You don't unload your car. For B.C. Ferries you're strongly encouraged to come up to the passenger decks for safety reasons.

Here's a link re what food you can bring into Canada that was posted on another thread.

http://www.gonorthwest.com/Visitor/planning/border/food_canada.htm

The ferry is a nice relaxing way to travel.

Bev

3. John Cummings

John Cummings TUG Lifetime Member

You didn't mention which ferry you are talking about though the answers are basically the same. There is the ferry from Port Angeles, WA to downtown Victoria and the ferry from Anacortes, WA to Sidney BC ( a few minutes drive from Victoria ).

I have taken both several times. My favorite by far is the one from Anacortes because of the beautiful scenery sailing through the San Juan Islands. However, the Port Angeles ferry will be much faster and more convenient for you driving up from the south.

Regardless of which ferry you take the answers are the same.

1. You just leave your luggage in the car.
    2. You get out of the car and go up on deck, sit down somewhere, or whatever.
    3. I do NOT know what food items you can take into Canada. I have never done that. In any event the rules will be the same no matter how you arrive, whether by auto, ferry, airplane, bicycle, walk, or whatever.
    4. There is no caveat to worry about with the ferry. Just arrive in plenty of time.

I have also done the BC ferries trip many times from both Victoria and Nanaimo.

4. T_R_Oglodyte

T_R_Oglodyte TUG Lifetime Member

Information on foods you are allowed to bring into Canada is available on the Canadian customs web site.

IIRC, you will probably not be able to bring into Canada any fruit that is in the apple family, and I believe they prohibit citrus as well. There are similar restrictions coming from Canada to the US.

Meat and dairy purchased from a grocery store usually has not been a problem for me.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  5. BocaBum99

BocaBum99 TUG Member

We just did it last year. All you need to do is make sure you don't take in forbidden food and banned items such as fire arms.

Otherwise, customs is pretty easy, just like when arriving by plane.