• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question about UY

Reaction score
We are considering purchasing DVC aftermarket. We usually travel in March and in Nov. I am unsure what UY would be best for us. Could someone point us in the right direction! Thanks!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nov would be best.

Your issue is to USE all the DVC points before the next USE YEAR starts .. but you can borrow from the NEXT USE YEAR. The longest number of months is between March to November ... to use up all the points left after the MAR trip and before the NEXT Use Year starts (like renting a reservation or cancelling either the NOV or MAR trips).

OR start your USE YEAR in the month you are booking the BIGGEST reservation ... if you have to cancel that reservation, you have 11 more months to USE your biggest chunk of DVC points.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
We travel in Dec, spring break and sometimes summer. I chose DEC UY.

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
As a 20+ year DVC Member, I don't really think what use year one has makes a big difference. A booking window is a booking window and ALL use years can book DVC resorts 11 mos out at their home resort and 7 months out at the non-home DVC resorts. Doesn't matter when your use year begins except to watch your banking windows. Not once have I found my use year to impact when I vacation or how I do so.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nov would be best.

right idea, but they don't actually offer any Nov UYs... :)

So an Oct UY is probably the best bet. Ideally, you never want to travel late in your UY (and especially in the last 3 months of your UY.)

Doesn't matter when your use year begins except to watch your banking windows. Not once have I found my use year to impact when I vacation or how I do so.

UY has nothing at all to do with booking, that is true. 11 months is 11 months no matter what your UY month is.

BUT...

You have a higher risk of losing points if you need to cancel a stay late in your UY.

Let's say you have a June UY and compare two different situations:

Scenario 1: you book a stay in May 2018. If you need to cancel in early February 2018 (for example), you would be past your banking window (which closed on Jan 31, 2018) and would need to use those pts or rent that stay in a hurry since those pts would all expire on May 31, 2018, so you would need to make alternate plans quickly or risk losing pts. Any pts not used to complete a stay by May 31, 2018 would then disappear into the void.

Scenario 2: you book a stay in June 2018. If you had to cancel that June 2018 stay in early March 2018 (for example), you would still have the option to bank current UY pts if you wanted (up until Jan 31, 2019). And any banked or borrowed pts won't expire for over a year (the end of May 2019) so you have more time to make new plans.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that use year is a red herring (if you are looking to buy your first DVC contract). We've owned DVC for over a decade and have never 'lost' points (though we did have to rent out the 1st years points of our 2nd DVC contract). More importantly, our ideas on when in the year we would visit WDW only held true for a short time. Unexpected changes in school calendars, number of family members travelling with us, and even the 'busyness' and point cost of seasons at WDW have meant our Disney travel looks very different from what we initially intended.

In short, desirability of resort, number of points, price of points, maintenance fees, and contract end date are all much more important than UY. So I suppose if you had the luxury of two contracts at the same resort for the same number of points at the same price with the same contract end date (for all you OKW fans out there) then I suppose you might get to pick your use year. In which case I'd pick December...because when you're old and doddering and enjoying a BCV Thanksgiving at EPCOT in 2043 you can laugh at all those who foolishly bought a contract that ended earlier...;-)

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
...because when you're old and doddering and enjoying a BCV Thanksgiving at EPCOT in 2043 you can laugh at all those who foolishly bought a contract that ended earlier...;-)

Will you be so old and doddering that you don't know where you are? I am not clear on the joke you are making.

All BCV contracts end January 31, 2042 - no stays past that point according to the current contracts...

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Will you be so old and doddering that you don't know where you are? I am not clear on the joke you are making.

All BCV contracts end January 31, 2042 - no stays past that point according to the current contracts...
I had mistakenly thought that the last 'batch' of BCV points under the current DVC contracts would be transferred to 'owners' on Dec 1st 2042 which could then be used until Nov 2043 (actually Nov 2044 with banking). I stand corrected.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd buy December. I have a March UY and finding contracts that match that use year for add-ons is difficult. There are more contracts written for December than any other use year.

But other than that, use year is not significant. The banking rules were changed some time ago. Now there's one banking window for 100% of your points. It makes life much easier.