• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question about new policy more than 1 unit

antjmar

Reaction score
I have a question pertaining to the new policy about overlapping reservations. It states that you must list a guest within 48 hours or the reservation will be canceled!!! Does anyone know if this new rule applies to one reservation per account or one per person listed on the account? Also I'm wondering does the apply if you have used ARP for the reservation?
If they are not allowing multiple reservations at a resort that you own at that does not seem fair (legal?).
Can they restrict deeded use?
TIA

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
It has not been explicitly spelled out.

But my guess it is PER PERSON and not PER Account, as you are allowed in another rule to have 10 units booked at the same resort at the time time PER ACCOUNT.

What I don't know is the ARP Part, since that is a different animal. The rules of the 10 units per account are waived for ARP bookings so it might seem reasonable that the same is true for individual reservations.

But this is wyndham we are talking about. Who knows exactly what the new business rule is. Who know what they intended vs actually documented vs physically coded and implemented (either working or NOT working). All of the things may NOT actually be the same thing either.

So we can guess until we see either updated guide or additional supplementary documents from Wyndham.

Last edited:

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
But this is wyndham we are talking about. Who know exactly what the new business rule is. Who know what they intended vs actually documented vs physically coded and implemented (either working or NOT working). All of the things may NOT actually be the same thing either.

This bears repeating. It was only last August that Wyndham started freezing problem accounts, mainly problems caused by the failings of their own IT systems, and essentially revealed that they had no idea how certain areas of their own processes worked. Along the way, they've frequently refused to acknowledge that points accounting problems existed and tried to turn the blame back on owners who were simply trying to rectify accounting errors. And now we're expected to believe that they've not only worked their way through all of the existing problems, but that they've been able to develop all of these new policies, plan for any unintended consequences of a new system with many significant changes, and code it so it does what they say it's going to do.

All I can say is I'm glad I'm a small potatoes resale owner with all of my 2017 vacations already booked. I only have a small amount of points in 2018 and I'll probably intentionally put them in RCI (assuming no major changes with the DVC relationship). Hopefully they'll have worked out all of the kinks by the time my big odd-year points hit again in 2019!

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not understand how wyndham can only give owners 48 hours to get a guest name on a reservation. There are so many holes in it where would I even start to mention them.
1 a little more complex then a guest changing their mind is say I book 10 1 bedrooms at a resort and add 10 guest games and request 10 units to be upgraded if available. Which one would get upgraded first? I would like to know which ones are upgraded before I add guest names to each of them as some may want an upgrade more then others.

What if I do not know if I want to travel to hawaii, Florida, or New York 10 months before check in but I know I most likely will be going to one of them. Why should wyndham restrict me from keeping my options open.

It will be interesting to see how sales tries to spin this as management will for sure spin it as a benefit as they do not have to be accountable like sales does (in regards to sales).

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I do not understand how wyndham can only give owners 48 hours to get a guest name on a reservation. There are so many holes in it where would I even start to mention them.
1 a little more complex then a guest changing their mind is say I book 10 1 bedrooms at a resort and add 10 guest games and request 10 units to be upgraded if available. Which one would get upgraded first? I would like to know which ones are upgraded before I add guest names to each of them as some may want an upgrade more then others.

What if I do not know if I want to travel to hawaii, Florida, or New York 10 months before check in but I know I most likely will be going to one of them. Why should wyndham restrict me from keeping my options open.

It will be interesting to see how sales tries to spin this as management will for sure spin it as a benefit as they do not have to be accountable like sales does (in regards to sales).

They short answer is their club/playground, their rules.

On the facebook group someone mentioned booking 6-8 units for a family reunion when they wouldn't know until a month or so before check in how many units would be needed and who specifically would be travelling. There were many more comments to the effect of this is a great change because now there won't be a few hundred members holding a few thousand extra reservations just in case and more members who actually plan on using a reservation will get to the unit.

I personally think Wyndhams guest cert program sucks and I really hope transitioning to $100 guest certs will not become the norm. Vistana tried to add a $39 fee and at least original club documents supported free guest certs for home week (basically ARP) reservations so they reversed the position for now.

I think that if I am there to check in and am willing to assume all responsibility for damages, etc that I should be able to check into as many resorts myself without needing a guest cert. It is none of Wyndhams business if I want to reserve a week for my self in Daytona and a 2 night stay in the middle of that trip in Orlando.

Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
You can make one reservation under every owner name on your account for the same or overlapping dates and it doesn't matter if they are all at the same resort or several different resorts. Any reservations over that you have 48 hours to add a guest to the reservation or it will be cancelled and your points lost. It doesn't matter if you have used ARP for the reservation.

The purpose of this change is to stop the mega renters and point managers from booking up such a huge amount of the prime season inventory at the most popular resorts. Renting has grown at a phenomenal rate in the past few years often making it difficult for even the owners at those resorts to get reservations. Many of them have been complaining because they bought specifically at those resorts to be able to go to them and it really is kind of ridiculous that they have to be on the phone at 7am 13 months out to be able to get reservations. Some people don't even know if their requests for vacation time have been approved at 13 months out. Another problem is owners who hoard multiple reservations. Some do it to get multiple units using the cancel, rebook, upgrade process. Some do it because they allow their extended families and friends to use the owner as their own personal concierge. They are not used to having to get their act together to commit and the owner caters to them.

I can sympathize with the family/friend thing because a couple of years ago I put in a great deal of work looking for reservations at resorts in several locations that a family member thought they might like to go to with somewhat loose dates. And of course they wanted pictures and information on all those places to help them choose. All I was asking them to cover was $99 for the guest certificate fee if I ran out of free ones by the time of their stay. I had a lot of points tied up and after several weeks of waiting to hear back from them I gave them a deadline to choose something. They either couldn't decide or couldn't commit and I ended up with a lot of cancelled points. About two months later I see pictures on Facebook of them at a hotel in one of the towns on their list. The next time we saw them comments were made about how they found something on their own as they just didn't know if the accommodations I found for them were "good". So they paid something like $200 a night for a hotel room instead of having a two bedroom condo. My husband was livid and told me to never make another offer for them to use our timeshare again. His family by the way.

If you look at the really popular resorts there is absolutely nothing available for months but when it gets down to the 15 day window all those unsold or unwanted reservations are cancelled. The other owners who would have liked to be able to get those reservations are unable to go at such short notice. Within the 14 day window many owners who rent cancel reservations before the website closes at night and grab them back in the morning in the hopes of selling them. I had it pointed out to me what a problem it has become for the resorts in trying to assign units, keeping people in the same unit, staffing, cleaning the units, etc. With the these changes if you want to book more than one unit in the 14 day window before check in you must add the guest information at the time the reservation is made.

We may not like all of the coming changes but it isn't hard to understand why they were needed. And we can hope that they will benefit the owners they were intended to help.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
They short answer is their club/playground, their rules.

On the facebook group someone mentioned booking 6-8 units for a family reunion when they wouldn't know until a month or so before check in how many units would be needed and who specifically would be travelling. There were many more comments to the effect of this is a great change because now there won't be a few hundred members holding a few thousand extra reservations just in case and more members who actually plan on using a reservation will get to the unit.

I saw that, and I bit my tongue that I think that makes it clear that this is all (or mostly) about optics. The (relatively few) people who book a few more units than they need will eventually cancel any they won't be using. Nobody's complaining when that unit later becomes available and they're the one who's able to score a nice upgrade or a last-minute reservation at a desirable location.

antjmar

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I understand Wyndham's intent. However I purchased at particular resorts specifically for ARP and to reserve several units for my use and extended family use. I am not VIP, I dont get discounts. I just want to be able to use several units at the same resort that I have deeded points at.
I dont think what Wyndham is doing is fair, unless they make the exception for ARP reservations...

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I understand Wyndham's intent. However I purchased at particular resorts specifically for ARP and to reserve several units for my use and extended family use. I am not VIP, I dont get discounts. I just want to be able to use several units at the same resort that I have deeded points at.
I dont think what Wyndham is doing is fair, unless they make the exception for ARP reservations...

wyndham does make an exception for the 10 nightly limit rule for ARP reservations so perhaps they will for make an exception for the guest confirmation rule too. But if not you will be stuck adding a name when the reservation is made, then changing the name later...or cancelling. The solution is to get more names on your account. you could redeed something you own to add a spouse or adult children, or buy a new small contract, and deed it in your name and several others. This will add other owners to your account, and you can put their names on the additional reservation... then when you are ready to add the real guests name )unless its one of the other owners, use one of your two free guest confirmations or pay the $99

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can make one reservation under every owner name on your account for the same or overlapping dates and it doesn't matter if they are all at the same resort or several different resorts. Any reservations over that you have 48 hours to add a guest to the reservation or it will be cancelled and your points lost. It doesn't matter if you have used ARP for the reservation.

The purpose of this change is to stop the mega renters and point managers from booking up such a huge amount of the prime season inventory at the most popular resorts. Renting has grown at a phenomenal rate in the past few years often making it difficult for even the owners at those resorts to get reservations. Many of them have been complaining because they bought specifically at those resorts to be able to go to them and it really is kind of ridiculous that they have to be on the phone at 7am 13 months out to be able to get reservations. Some people don't even know if their requests for vacation time have been approved at 13 months out. Another problem is owners who hoard multiple reservations. Some do it to get multiple units using the cancel, rebook, upgrade process. Some do it because they allow their extended families and friends to use the owner as their own personal concierge. They are not used to having to get their act together to commit and the owner caters to them.

I can sympathize with the family/friend thing because a couple of years ago I put in a great deal of work looking for reservations at resorts in several locations that a family member thought they might like to go to with somewhat loose dates. And of course they wanted pictures and information on all those places to help them choose. All I was asking them to cover was $99 for the guest certificate fee if I ran out of free ones by the time of their stay. I had a lot of points tied up and after several weeks of waiting to hear back from them I gave them a deadline to choose something. They either couldn't decide or couldn't commit and I ended up with a lot of cancelled points. About two months later I see pictures on Facebook of them at a hotel in one of the towns on their list. The next time we saw them comments were made about how they found something on their own as they just didn't know if the accommodations I found for them were "good". So they paid something like $200 a night for a hotel room instead of having a two bedroom condo. My husband was livid and told me to never make another offer for them to use our timeshare again. His family by the way.

If you look at the really popular resorts there is absolutely nothing available for months but when it gets down to the 15 day window all those unsold or unwanted reservations are cancelled. The other owners who would have liked to be able to get those reservations are unable to go at such short notice. Within the 14 day window many owners who rent cancel reservations before the website closes at night and grab them back in the morning in the hopes of selling them. I had it pointed out to me what a problem it has become for the resorts in trying to assign units, keeping people in the same unit, staffing, cleaning the units, etc. With the these changes if you want to book more than one unit in the 14 day window before check in you must add the guest information at the time the reservation is made.

We may not like all of the coming changes but it isn't hard to understand why they were needed. And we can hope that they will benefit the owners they were intended to help.

Almost everything here is correct, but one minor note: if a reservation is cancelled outside of the cancellation window due to the overlapping reservation rule, the points will be returned as regular use year points, not lost. Only if it is inside of 15 days will the points be lost. A lot of inventory held until the 15 day mark, then cancelled when it's too late for the rest of the owner population to plan around, is exactly what Wyndham is trying to manage with this change.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Almost everything here is correct, but one minor note: if a reservation is cancelled outside of the cancellation window due to the overlapping reservation rule, the points will be returned as regular use year points, not lost. Only if it is inside of 15 days will the points be lost. A lot of inventory held until the 15 day mark, then cancelled when it's too late for the rest of the owner population to plan around, is exactly what Wyndham is trying to manage with this change.

It says additional reservation(s) will be subject to cancellation and the corresponding points may be forfeited in accordance with the Club Wyndham Plus cancellation policy. I read it over several times after reading your response and I think I see what I was missing. If you booked the reservation(s) subject to cancellation at day 16 and didn't have the guest added then when day 14 hits you would lose the points. But as long as the reservation(s) are still outside of the 15 day window when the 48 hour timeframe expires you would only lose the reservation not your points. Correct?

wyndham_plus_membersdirectory_supplement1718_p0009_hires.jpg

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
It says additional reservation(s) will be subject to cancellation and the corresponding points may be forfeited in accordance with the Club Wyndham Plus cancellation policy. I read it over several times after reading your response and I think I see what I was missing. If you booked the reservation(s) subject to cancellation at day 16 and didn't have the guest added then when day 14 hits you would lose the points. But as long as the reservation(s) are still outside of the 15 day window when the 48 hour timeframe expires you would only lose the reservation not your points. Correct?

wyndham_plus_membersdirectory_supplement1718_p0009_hires.jpg

Correct, the cancellation occurs under all the normal club program guidelines. In your 16 day scenario, you are correct, the cancellation would result in forfeiture of points as the auto cancellation would incur inside the cancellation window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

Yes, the changes will benefit those who paid the least to acquire points and who pay the least maintenance fees. Those who paid the most to acquire points and who pay the most maintenance fees bite the big one.

I'm glad I didn't nibble on any of several 500K+ contracts on ebay recently. I'll probably head in the opposite direction and start divesting.