*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. With the upgrade to the new forum, tapatalk is not functioning properly and we have had little to no support from them in fixing the problem. That said, the new forum is fully configured to support mobile devices so if you are missing being able to visit TUG on your phone try disabling tapatalk and just using your phone/tablet browser to see the new look!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Proposed RCI Weeks Class Action Settlement

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by Captron, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Captron

Captron TUG Member

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  2. CeeWoo

CeeWoo TUG Member

Holy snipes! That's 280 pages!!! ;)

This could take a little while, but I have time :D

3. bizaro86

bizaro86 TUG Member

I'm just skimming, but some highlights

1) RCI will disclose the trading power for specific Vacation time to the Member, prior to its deposit.

2) RCI will tell you what currently available inventory a proposed deposit could be traded for

3) The information above will be available online

4) RCI guarantees not to rent more time than they provide to the pool, except 90 days prior to the vacation time and excluding vacation time used to acquire "alternative inventory" whatever that is.

5) For the next two years, any deposit made more than 1 year in advance is guaranteed to be available for exchange (not rental) for 31 days. (I wonder what percentage of exchanges are deposited more than a year in advance :rofl: )

It keeps going from there (I only made it to page 15)

Michael

4. Captron

Captron TUG Member

biz,
    Much of the definitions and stuff up front you can skip. The end is a copy of the RCI disclosures guide and a list of people who paid to extend deposit availability.:eek:

Alternative inventory, as I understand it, is units that they acquire NOT through deposit. (developer inventory, or inventory acquired through trades with other exchange systems, etc.)

Excellent summary, may I add:
    Settlement: (must submit paperwork to RCI)

Current members can choose:
    1. Request first for 2 years
    2. $100 cruise certificate ($100 off up to each of 4 cabins on same itinerary)
    3. membership rebate
    4. A free night of rental when another night is purchased (subject to availability)
    5. Prorated refund of subscription fees

Previous members (back to ~2000) may choose:
    1. $15 check
    2. $15 off RCI membership

I think the bottom line is that they can not skim a bunch of deposits for rental unless they replace them with "alternative inventory". RCI admits no "wrong doing" but I believe all this started and was demonstrated in discovery that RCI was padding their bank accounts by skimming off deposits for rental because they could make more money from them.

All of this stuff must be published on the web site and in endless vacations magazine and in a major paper.