*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Proper way to use a cane

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by Ann-Marie, May 24, 2006.

1. Ann-Marie

Ann-Marie TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I just had a cast removed, and need to use a cane for a few weeks. I think I have it all screwed up when I walk. Does the cane go with the good or the bad leg? Do you hold it on the good or the bad side? Thanks

2. Gadabout

Gadabout Guest

Can't help with which side to use, but....

You might also want to keep it after you don't need it anymore for walking--my MIL uses one to help pull blackberry vines towards her to get to the blackberries. Helps avoid all the thorns.

3. moonstone

moonstone TUG Member

Hold the cane on the side of your 'bad' leg. When you walk take a step with your 'good' leg then step with your 'bad' leg & the cane at the same time. Use the cane to take some of the weight off your 'bad' leg as you step. It may take a bit to get the hang of it. Hopefully the cane was fitted for your height or you may end up with a sore back, arm or shoulder & if it was fitted for you they should have also shown you how to use it properly. When going up or down stairs if at all possible have the railing on your 'bad' side & use it instead of the cane, its much safer.
    Good luck & feel better soon,
    ~Diane

4. LMD

LMD TUG Member

Cane goes on the GOOD side

At my job I teach people how to walk with canes, crutches, walkers all the time.....
    The cane goes on the unaffected or "good" side. You are trying to decrease the weight bearing through the "bad" leg so if you put the cane on the "bad" side it will only encourage you to put MORE weight through the leg. The cane should be adjusted so that the handle comes to your wrist when your arm is down at your side. When you walk move the cane and the bad leg, using the cane to unweight the bad leg. If that is too difficult you can move the cane, then the bad leg and then the good leg. When going up and down the stairs, the bad leg leads when going down the stairs and the good leg leads when going up the stairs. For safety use the rail AND the cane. Good luck!
    Lisa

5. Ann-Marie

Thanks for the replies. The surgeons office told me to walk with the cane on the good side, and have it step with the good leg. It seems weird to do this. I am using it on the good side, and then having it step with the bad leg. I guess this is the right way. Also, doing the stairs, they told me to remember, the bad go to hell, and the good go to heaven. So, bad down first, and good up first. They gave me a cane that is the longest they had available. I'm 5 ft. 11 in., so it is a tad too short. I am hoping to ditch it within the next 2 weeks after I start physical therapy.

6. wackymother

wackymother TUG Member

Hey, when I broke my foot a few years ago, they told me good always goes first.

7. Present

Present Guest

Re: Cane goes on the GOOD side

LMD is right. If the purpose of the cane is to provide support while casted, tney you hold it in the opposite hand of the casted leg. You would then advance the casted leg and the cane at the same time, distributing the weight evenly through the casted extremity and the cane.

8. RonB

RonB TUG Member

Re: Cane goes on the GOOD side

Just remember, if you have more than 1 cane, treat them well. You don't want a Cane Munity.
    Ron

9. boyblue

boyblue TUG Member

Moonstone, this really seems like the logical way. Even though I'm aware that the experts advise the opposite.

I just did an experiment and actually the expert's way is not as awkward as I'd remembered. Although both techniques will take the load off if you lean to your cane, we have to believe that the experts know what they're talking about. We'd better retire the "Moonstone Technique" - I love that name :)

10. Ann-Marie

Hi All. I just came back from Physical therapy. You walk with the cane on the good side, and it moves ahead with the bad leg. I have it down now! Now, the goal is to ditch it very soon, and walk normally.

11. boyblue

boyblue TUG Member

But doesn't it seem unnatural at first? BTW good luck with rehab:clap: