*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

PROFECO got me my refund!

Discussion in 'Mexico Timesharing' started by hibbert6, Aug 15, 2006.

1. hibbert6

hibbert6 TUG Member

Thank you to all who encouraged me last year!

In April 2005 I bought a week at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach, then rescinded by following instructions TO THE LETTER. But the resort claimed that my $3200 down payment was non-refundable. Then, after agreeing that I had met all the requirements to rescind, they sold my contract to a servicing company! I contacted PROFECO, and though it took them over a year, they got me my money back, direct deposited to my account.:D

My advice - keep a printed copy of every correspondence, create a log of every phone call and action you take, with the person's name, address if possible, phone number and date and time. All snail mail MUST be sent registered - it's the only proof you have that an actual person with a name received what you sent. And be patient. PROFECO is bizarre - sometimes they don't answer their phones, there is no voice mail, I had to fax them my paperwork several times, I received email from several different people within PROFECO handling my case... and I had to be persistent. But for $3200, it was well worth it. And my effort and persistence paid off. Hallelujah!

Dave

2. rsonc

rsonc TUG Member

Congratulation's on getting your money back.

Susan

3. tonyg

tonyg TUG Lifetime Member

Good for you and good advice for others. Profeco has been known to be frustrating, but they have also been known to get things done. Not so good for the Pueblo Bonito resorts' reputation.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  4. iconnections

iconnections TUG Member

Good for you! This is exactly what I write to everyone who contacts me. Thanks for sharing your news. :D

5. Kraddy

Kraddy Guest

They are in the process of getting me some back to, for what it is worth.

6. hibbert6

hibbert6 TUG Member

Best of luck, and patience.

Be patient and persistent. Assume that your case is falling through the cracks and don't let PROFECO let that happen. Hopefully, it will pay off!

Dave

7. Karen G

Karen G Moderator

Resorts Owned:
    Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
    Dave, I'm so happy you got some good results through Profeco and your own persistence. We did the tour at Sunset Beach last Wednesday and the next day at the pool at the Rose a couple we had met on the shuttle going over there said they had bought a unit at Sunset Beach. They were pretty happy with their purchase and I didn't want to make them feel bad.

The next morning they mentioned that they were having second thoughts, so I began talking to them about TUG, buying resale, and the fact that they had only this one opportunity to rescind, but they would have many other opportunities to buy if they wanted to.

The following morning I spent a little time on TUG and noticed your success with Profeco. As I was going out to the pool, I ran into the couple on their way over to Sunset Beach to rescind. I told them about Profeco in case things got ugly over there, and I also told them they had so many days by law to rescind the contract. (I thought it was 7 days but they were told it is 5 days in Mexico.)

Fortunately for them, the lady they spoke with at Sunset Beach was very, very nice. She said this often happened and she took care of everything, refunded their deposit, but took back a couple of the gifts they had received for doing the tour. They were happy to oblige and were very relieved to get out of the contract. Now they have the time to research their next purchase if they decide to buy a timeshare.

8. iconnections

iconnections TUG Member

Karen, you were there at the right time!!!!! That couple lucked out. :D Also nice to hear that the company didn't give them any hassle.

9. Blondie

Blondie TUG Member

Dave, good for you. I am sure these timeshare companies figure they will just wear down consumers who change their minds. Your tenacity saved you a good chunk of change. Kudos.