• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[probably in FAQ] - what happens if there's no weeks left when I go to book?

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is partly an 'academic interest' question and partly in connection to potential reslae purchases and understanding how everything works.

What happens if, when trying to use your week, all remaining intervals within the year are already gone.

i.e. presumably some intervals early in the year went unreserved, and now all of the later intervals in the season are already reserved?

What does Marriott do? How is this managed?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
This is partly an 'academic interest' question and partly in connection to potential reslae purchases and understanding how everything works.

What happens if, when trying to use your week, all remaining intervals within the year are already gone.

i.e. presumably some intervals early in the year went unreserved, and now all of the later intervals in the season are already reserved?

What does Marriott do? How is this managed?

When Marriott was selling Weeks (and maybe still with any Weeks purchased direct from Marriott Resales?) if the Reservation Window for the current use year was already open at the time of purchase, you'd be given the MRP value of the Week as stipulated in the closing documents.

If it happens as a result of an external-resale purchase not closing until after the first year's Reservation Window or the use year has opened, Marriott will work with you to provide a "replacement week" that can be deposited to II for an exchange.

If it happens at any point during ownership due to the Owner's oversight or interference from a "life event," Marriott may work with the Owner and provide a "replacement week" depending on the reason. Generally, IF they work with an owner here it's understood that it's on a one-time-only basis.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just received an II replacement deposit a few days ago. It is a transferred II deposit and not a replacement reservation that can be used for other purposes. It was the first time I was in this situation. I had free usage on a purchase where no 2016 inventory was available. I kept checking and was able to get a 1BR reservation but I eventually gave up on the studio can called Marriott. The process is they have a pool of deposit inventory with II that they use for their own internal purposes. They put in a request to transfer one of these deposits. I believe it has to be a deposit of the same property but I am not certain. If there is one available it will transfer within 5 days and you will get a notification. There has to be one available so it is not guaranteed. The rez date on the deposit will often times be in the past so the expiration will vary.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just found out that it's never too late to ask for a replacement deposit. I just had a transfer that took too long and it landed in my Marriott account yesterday. It came with 2016 usage but I knew I was only counting on an II replacement deposit. I called this morning and as long the purchase was tagged as usage beginning in 2016 I could still request a replacement deposit even though it's already 2017. There still has to be one available and I won't know that until later but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just don't forget to add the ownership to your II account. It hit me after I called this morning because I don't already have this resort in II.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got my 2016 replacement today :thumbup:

Unfortunately it was a late deposit so it can only be used for flex but beggars can't be too picky. I could have easily ended up with a non-restricted, or maybe nothing, so I'll take it.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)

I don't think that is possible. I think all point-based time sharing systems maintain a buffer of unsold units, else there would be insufficient flexibility with their systems and they would bog down. I have been told that the buffer is 10% for Diamond Resorts International. I don't know what is is for Marriott (or Vistana). Does anyone have the facts here?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think that is possible. I think all point-based time sharing systems maintain a buffer of unsold units, else there would be insufficient flexibility with their systems and they would bog down. I have been told that the buffer is 10% for Diamond Resorts International. I don't know what is is for Marriott (or Vistana). Does anyone have the facts here?

It is possible. Take a resort like SurfWatch (calendar link) that has Gold Weeks 13-21 and 35-43, and assume a resale purchase that's processed during Week 30 but includes the current year's usage. Weeks 35-43 could have been booked completely when the Reservation Windows opened during the prior year, but some of the Weeks 13-21 could have gone unbooked/unused. That's why when Weeks were the only game in town MVCI gave you the MRP allotment for the first/current year's usage if you purchased direct, and why Marriott will work with external-resale purchasers to give them a replacement Week for the first/current year's usage.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

This isn't a points based question. The OP was asking about a resale week purchase so no points are involved.

Last edited:

elleny76

Reaction score
I have been looking at resale Marriott weeks for a while. My main reason to buy is to use interval and book Aruba marriot . As the OP what are the opportunities to book a week in interval using Marriott deposited weeks in winter(janu-feb)?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at resale Marriott weeks for a while. My main reason to buy is to use interval and book Aruba marriot . As the OP what are the opportunities to book a week in interval using Marriott deposited weeks in winter(janu-feb)?

Safely assuming you are talking about relatively cheap Marriott resale weeks it's not a great idea unless you want to bank on getting lucky. It would be better to buy Aruba and not worry about trying to exchange. Premium demand weeks at premium resorts are not going to be easy to get in II with a lesser demand deposit.

elleny76

Reaction score
Safely assuming you are talking about relatively cheap Marriott resale weeks it's not a great idea unless you want to bank on getting lucky. It would be better to buy Aruba and not worry about trying to exchange. Premium demand weeks at premium resorts are not going to be easy to get in II with a lesser demand deposit.
Yes I was thinking to get "inexpensive week". The Aruba Prices are big in prices and MF.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is possible. Take a resort like SurfWatch (calendar link) that has Gold Weeks 13-21 and 35-43, and assume a resale purchase that's processed during Week 30 but includes the current year's usage...
I've been wondering the same thing...but just as a normal owner not in a resale purchase situation. If later this year - June 1st say - a Gold Surfwatch owner tries to book a gold 2017 week and there is no inventory available, what happens?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've been wondering the same thing...but just as a normal owner not in a resale purchase situation. If later this year - June 1st say - a Gold Surfwatch owner tries to book a gold 2017 week and there is no inventory available, what happens?

From Post #2 above, "... If it happens at any point during ownership due to the Owner's oversight or interference from a "life event," Marriott may work with the Owner and provide a "replacement week" depending on the reason. Generally, IF they work with an owner here it's understood that it's on a one-time-only basis."

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
As Saintsfanfl suggested, you'd be much better off buying an Aruba week resale if you plan on visiting there Jan.-Feb. most years. That's prime season and demand is high, and unless you have a lot of flexibility and don't require a 2BR you may frequently be disappointed. That's not to say that 2BR units aren't nabbed in II during that time period at the Aruba resorts, but personally I wouldn't buy elsewhere if that's your primary travel goal.

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is possible. Take a resort like SurfWatch (calendar link) that has Gold Weeks 13-21 and 35-43, and assume a resale purchase that's processed during Week 30 but includes the current year's usage. Weeks 35-43 could have been booked completely when the Reservation Windows opened during the prior year, but some of the Weeks 13-21 could have gone unbooked/unused. That's why when Weeks were the only game in town MVCI gave you the MRP allotment for the first/current year's usage if you purchased direct, and why Marriott will work with external-resale purchasers to give them a replacement Week for the first/current year's usage.

Just to confirm. I closed in Nov on a resale Grande Chateau... but all weeks nov-dec were reserved, so marriott worked with interval to get a deposited week placed in my Interval account as if the week had been deposited last June.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I just received an II replacement deposit a few days ago. It is a transferred II deposit and not a replacement reservation that can be used for other purposes. It was the first time I was in this situation. I had free usage on a purchase where no 2016 inventory was available. I kept checking and was able to get a 1BR reservation but I eventually gave up on the studio can called Marriott. The process is they have a pool of deposit inventory with II that they use for their own internal purposes. They put in a request to transfer one of these deposits. I believe it has to be a deposit of the same property but I am not certain. If there is one available it will transfer within 5 days and you will get a notification. There has to be one available so it is not guaranteed. The rez date on the deposit will often times be in the past so the expiration will vary.
I think perhaps this is how all replacement reserve weeks are handled. Really just Marriott transferring a week that they previously deposited to your II account?

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to confirm. I closed in Nov on a resale Grande Chateau... but all weeks nov-dec were reserved, so marriott worked with interval to get a deposited week placed in my Interval account as if the week had been deposited last June.

That's great customer service. The June weeks have a high TDI. Congrats on your new purchase and enjoy the exchange possibilities that accompany it! CJ

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: