• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Private Forums

BondGuy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aquamarine Villas, Fox Run, Castleburn
Even though I'm logged in, I'm unable to view Private Forums. Any suggestions on how to resolve?

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem. Maybe just a matter of time?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
will take us a bit to sort out the "tug member" vs "guest" monikers....but we will get to it =)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I'd just be patient - I'm sure Brian and Doug are working on it.

Last edited:

BondGuy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aquamarine Villas, Fox Run, Castleburn
Suspected as much; just wanted to make sure I was not the only one!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You can now access the Sightings/Distressed forum from the Forums Home page, but it seems to be open to anyone that is registered for the BBS, not limited to just TUG Members.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
hmm, ill have to go in and edit that, i think it may have to do with the member vs guest thing though.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Confirmed. I removed the TUG BBS Member Code from my "Personal Details" and was still able to access the Sightings/Distressed forum.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the member code itself doesnt have anything to do with access. the presence of a correct member code puts that particular user into the TUG MEMBERS usergroup...which has access to the sightings forum.

(and apparently not having it doesnt put you into the registered users group...so we get to fix that too!)

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't access from my Ipad, only from my personal computer. does it still work with tapatalk?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I can't access from my Ipad, only from my personal computer. does it still work with tapatalk?
We will have to wait for the tapatalk plug in to be installed, you're not the only one missing it. :)

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Confirmed. I removed the TUG BBS Member Code from my "Personal Details" and was still able to access the Sightings/Distressed forum.
Right. On the old board every time you logged on a plug-in I wrote would check the BBS Member Code in your profile and either put you into or take you out of the TUG Member usergroup on the bbs.

If not in the TUG Member usergroup, you didn't even see the Sightings/Distressed forum and it still works the same way here.

There's nothing like that plug-in to automatically put you in and out of the TUG Member usergroup available for XenForo that I know of, and I haven't learned enough about the XenForo coding yet to reproduce it. Until we can get this automated again, the Admins will have to move users into and out of the TUG Member usergroup on the bbs manually. --- How's THAT for an incentive to get this working?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ok i may have broken things, but it was my first shot at a user promotion (which dynamically puts users in specific groups based on criteria).

the criteria I chose was having the appropriate member code in their profile...so heres to seeing if this works properly for new members.

(note it will not work retroactively, ie if you take the code out...it wont drop you back down...or at least I dont think so)

note this "job" runs every hour...so the change wont be instant for new users...but will take effect at the top of every hour.

Last edited:

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
So which are the 'private' forums? If I log out will they be the ones I can't see? Or are they some place I should never see?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
there is only one, the sightings/distressed forum.

it should only be visible by TUG members...vs just guests. itll appear at the bottom of the forum list whenever a TUG member is logged in.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
ok i may have broken things, but it was my first shot at a user promotion (which dynamically puts users in specific groups based on criteria).

the criteria I chose was having the appropriate member code in their profile...so heres to seeing if this works properly for new members.

(note it will not work retroactively, ie if you take the code out...it wont drop you back down...or at least I dont think so)

Could you not use some type of criteria that is tied to the list of actual members list at Tug2.net?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Could you not use some type of criteria that is tied to the list of actual members list at Tug2.net?

two completely different servers.

and many folks use different usernames/emails

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
two completely different servers.

and many folks use different usernames/emails
I get it, but shouldn't the goal be to get people to sync up their email addresses? If they want access to the private forum, then they have to do it

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Believe me, if we could figure out a way to do this, it would have happened long ago, on the old board. The BBS Member Code kludge is the best we've ever been able to come up with.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
So does either the 'TUG Member' moniker show or the 'Review Crew'? I am able to see the private forum even though I don't show a s a TUG Member on the BBS. Though I do have the correct BBS Member Code. If it is an either or; Review Crew or TUG Member, may need to look to see if you can show both.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the user title is separate from a usergroup membership...

anyone who has a tug review crew moniker is also already a TUG member.

Im pretty sure i can stack them though, right now its set to only display one.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the developer who helped us with the upgrade/migration said this was literally what user group promotions were for, i just have to figure out how to get it setup properly to work.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
score!

my test user was automatically placed in the TUG members forum after manually putting the member code in their profile. i just had to be patient for the chron job to run and execute the promotion.

now assuming that it didnt screw up anyone elses member status...i think that should take care of access to the sighting forum.