• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Price per TPU in RCI

dundey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - BLT & WLV, Cliff Club, Bolton Valley, Morritt's, Sudwala
I know that this has been discussed before, but I'm wondering what the best or lowest annual maint. fees per TPU currently. RCI has adjusted over time and I know some of mine have changed for the better. However, I think there are probably some out there better than mine. The best I have is around $16 / TPU. Anyone else??

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
I have one that, if booked high season, costs $8 to $9 per TPU. The Hawaii week I just gave away ranged from $13 to $15 depending on the week.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My best is $13/TPU; my worst is $24/TPU

I usually deposit the $24/TPU into RCI Points via points-for-deposit, because it converts to 1.5 cents/point over there.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
My one is $22.00 per tpu.

dundey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So what's the consensus of a "good one"?! Around $13 / TPU? I'm talking about a fixed, non lock off week.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
So what's the consensus of a "good one"?! Around $13 / TPU? I'm talking about a fixed, non lock off week.
I would say below $15.00 is super excellent, from $15 - $20.00 excellent, from $20-$25.00 good, from $25-$30.00 fair, from $30.-$35.00 well...
but that is my opinion only.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
So what's the consensus of a "good one"?! Around $13 / TPU?

We don't exchange anymore, but in looking at this thread wouldn't unit size figure prominently into any such comparison of value?

Comparing mf$ / TPU figures without specifying studio or 1BR or 2BR unit seems like comparing apples to oranges to pears, no? :shrug:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We don't exchange anymore, but in looking at this thread wouldn't unit size figure prominently into any such comparison of value?

Comparing mf$ / TPU figures without specifying studio or 1BR or 2BR unit seems like comparing apples to oranges to pears, no? :shrug:
I don't think so. While I don't own any weeks that exchange in RCI, it really comes down to MF/TPU. The unit size really isn't a factor. If you have a studio that has a good ratio, buying two of them won't make it any better or worse. Owning a 2BR lock off might make for a better ratio, because you can often deposit both sides separately for more TPUs, but that should be taken in to consideration when calculating MF per TPU.

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
And now that RCI has downgraded the combining ability to just 12 months out, I would value a unit that receives more per deposit than a lockoff that receives more only when combined. I'm now on the hunt for units that receive as close to 60 tpus as possible so I can minimize the need to combine (until after I've made at least one exchange).

Conan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would say below $15.00 is super excellent, from $15 - $20.00 excellent, from $20-$25.00 good, from $25-$30.00 fair, from $30.-$35.00 well...
but that is my opinion only.

That sounds right to me. Be aware that these figures are moving targets.

Of course, if your maintenance fee increases your MF per TPU increases in the same proportion.

Even worse, RCI appears to be deflating the TPU points they are giving out.

This year (2017), I'm paying $840 in maintenance for a July week in Myrtle Beach and I'm getting 65 TPU when I deposit it. $840/65TPU = $13/TPU.

In 2013, I paid $625 for maintenance on the same unit, and RCI gave me 101 TPU when I deposited it. $625/101TPU = $6/TPU

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
[I don't think so. While I don't own any weeks that exchange in RCI, it really comes down to MF/TPU. The unit size really isn't a factor. If you have a studio that has a good ratio, buying two of them won't make it any better or worse.]

One consideration is that you have to pay to combine TPU. So if all other factors are equal, 2 studios that have to be combined for a larger number of TPU's will cost more in the long run.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
[I don't think so. While I don't own any weeks that exchange in RCI, it really comes down to MF/TPU. The unit size really isn't a factor. If you have a studio that has a good ratio, buying two of them won't make it any better or worse.]

One consideration is that you have to pay to combine TPU. So if all other factors are equal, 2 studios that have to be combined for a larger number of TPU's will cost more in the long run.
True, so it is perhaps more than just MF per TPU, but total cost per TPU, MF+any other fees.

dundey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes with the new 12 month rule for combining the game has changed. And of course RCI is ALWAYS a moving target but I am interested in what people currently think a good number is. Thanks for all the replies!

JT62

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What are the most and least points you can get for a deposit?
Thanks!
JT

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
When looking to acquire, I always look at rental and usage potential as well, even if I am looking for something that is primarily a trader. For the most part it has to be something that can easily rent to cover MF and ideally a little more or it has to be something I or my close family would use if it doesn't rent and it is a year when I don't want to or don't need to deposit. If you buy something you would never want to use yourself because the resort is kind of dumpy or inconvenient even if it gets great TPU's now, chances are others will feel the same and it will either have a special assessment to bring it back up and/or it will lose tpu's.

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Trading power has changed so drastically for my weeks, I don't even know the value anymore. One resort was worth 101 when locked off, and is now worth around 56, I think, even for the most prime week.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
60 is the max.

You probably mean 60 TPU is the most you'd have to pay for an exchange with RCI? :)

(There were a few examples above which well exceeded the 60 for deposit value. And I have one that gets 69 when the lockoff is split out.)

To the OP, I'm not sure I've seen a survey or data on the max TPU someone has gotten from RCI for a deposit. As we've seen in this thread, at least one person got over 100 TPU.

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You probably mean 60 TPU is the most you'd have to pay for an exchange with RCI? :)

(There were a few examples above which well exceeded the 60 for deposit value. And I have one that gets 69 when the lockoff is split out.)

To the OP, I'm not sure I've seen a survey or data on the max TPU someone has gotten from RCI for a deposit. As we've seen in this thread, at least one person got over 100 TPU.
Right, I assumed we were talking for a single deposit, not ownership. Personally, I value high TPU per deposit more since RCI reduced the expiration date for combined deposits.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
The trader I now use in RCI is about $11 per TPU. Regarding the 12 month combine limitation, it really sucks that they make you pay an additional $119 to extend the combined availability window.

sandkastle4966

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The max for deposit is 60 per deposit. Posts that have greater than 60 are lockoffs that are deposited as 2 separate units and reported as combined.

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score
As to the lowest TPU for a deposit - a friend claims he gets 9 TPU for a 2bedroom South Africa deposit. Anyone lower than that?

willilamsj92

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have one that, if booked high season, costs $8 to $9 per TPU. The Hawaii week I just gave away ranged from $13 to $15 depending on the week.
I must need some education on this. It hardly seems possible. The max TPUs per deposit is 60. So 8 would be MF and taxes for $480 for unit with that much demand. And wouldn't something that gets really high TPUs have to be 2BR+?

I know my response is late but thanks for the replies.

willilamsj92

TUG Member
Reaction score
I must need some education on this. It hardly seems possible. The max TPUs per deposit is 60. So 8 would be MF and taxes for $480 for unit with that much demand. And wouldn't something that gets really high TPUs have to be 2BR+?

I know my response is late but thanks for the replies.