• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Potential Buyer looking for some guidance

NavyVet

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
For the first time in my life, I am considering buying a timeshare, and after seeing some of the good advice given by TUGers on similar topics, I was hoping to mine the wealth of knowledge on here to challenge my thinking. Here is a bit of the backstory as to how this idea got planted. In the fall the wife and I are headed to Mexico for a reunion with some old military friends, we have been in the past, and were always tempted with the timeshare, but there were always too many reasons not to, didn't want to spend the cash, didn't plan on taking too many vacations for one reason or another, etc... Every time we went to Mexico with this group of friends we agreed to attend the sales pitch as the group always wanted some perk (private dinner, private yacht for the day), and we were always fine with saying no... We started joking about what kind of "deals" they were going to be offering this time around and out of curiosity I started looking at timeshare resales for fun. I have come to a couple of conclusions that may have varying levels of accuracy.

1. I believe that there is hidden value in some timeshares if there are bought correctly (ie the right resort, the right location, the right management, and most importantly the right price).
  2. Anything that I would be buying would be a cash transaction.
  3. I would be hard pressed to see a value proposition that led me to buy from a developer. A timeshare in not (under most circumstances) a investment, certainly not purchased at retail. I don't believe in the term "vacation ownership" any more than "pre owned car" (its used...).
  4. One of the options that I am considering is forming a corp (due to the nature of the business a C corp) for the sole purpose of having timeshares, initially starting with 2-4 weeks and seeing how it goes. The business purpose would purportedly be for profit, but realistically it would be a low profit or break even enterprise with a side benefit of allowing sales of the weeks without adverse tax penalty's as well as providing a layer of protection against disposal. My wife is good at managing things like this and would basically be putting in her time for some vacation options (reserving, renting, trading, etc.), and if everything goes well the occasional discount vacation. Initially we would be using whatever we bought. Has anyone had experience with doing this?
  5. One of the large reasons that I am considering #4, is that I know that our vacation needs will change dramatically over the next 15 years, and if we could have some flexibility with management of the income/loss we would be able to have more options available to us.
  6. Even if #4 does not work out I am still interested in something. It seems as thought the fixed weeks offer the best value if you are going to use them, and you end up paying more for the points systems. The Hilton HGVC is a interesting "hybrid" model that also seems promising to me, but in any case I would probably be sticking to the major players. Anybody got some pros/cons/gripes with their similar situation?
  7. It seems the bigger players generally have some resale value, as many as I see at a $1 there are plenty that sell for more. There are also resorts that have very few listed, and none at a give away price...
  8. By and large if you tell someone in the general public (ie a friend) that you are actually thinking about buying a timeshare, you get a look like your from mars and in some cases I can see people mentally deducting IQ points from me while I am talking. Some of these people come to me for financial advice, and some I am business partners with, so it is rather shocking to me that everyone I have talked to about the idea has stopped listening. I believe that this is because the horror stories are always passed around and in some cases overstated.
Some info about me that may help you understand my motives, and were I would be coming from. I am a partner in a variety of small business that do well that I am proud of. I have approximately 60 rental units (normal rentals, not vacation) in apartments and other residences. For work I travel a large majority of the time, and therefore also have tons of points (Hilton, Marriott, AA, Delta, etc), and there may be some benefit to tying into one of those systems. The wife and I have two children under 2.

I am not in a hurry, I appreciate any advice, and already have read a invaluable amount of information here in the forums....

Cappy

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 6 timeshares & all got thu resale!
I rent 5 out & go on vacation at timeshares 2 weeks every year!
U can email me direct with ?'s Thu tug

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Welcome to Tug! You're in the right place, for the right reasons. Have a seat, and keep reading.

I can't offer opinions on your corporation plan, but I will say to be double, even triple cautious about buying a timeshare in Mexico. They are easy as pie to buy, but hard as nails to get rid of. Exchange value isn't great, compared with many systems in the USA. Do your due diligence, and be patient. As you have likely already figured out, there is no shortage of timeshares for sale, and there's a bargain around nearly every corner.

Good luck, from one Navy Vet to another.

Dave

NavyVet

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
Welcome to Tug! You're in the right place, for the right reasons. Have a seat, and keep reading.

I can't offer opinions on your corporation plan, but I will say to be double, even triple cautious about buying a timeshare in Mexico. They are easy as pie to buy, but hard as nails to get rid of. Exchange value isn't great, compared with many systems in the USA. Do your due diligence, and be patient. As you have likely already figured out, there is no shortage of timeshares for sale, and there's a bargain around nearly every corner.

Good luck, from one Navy Vet to another.

Dave

Thanks.

Yeah, forgot to mention that I would never actually buy one in Mexico... it just happens to be the place were I have sat through the most pitches over the years. For better or worse, I have no faith in the laws of most foreign governments (I would make an exception for the UK and Canada, but even then...). My plans are really in the US, at least for now.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
one option I didnt see you mention above is renting, it really is a great way to enjoy timesharing anywhere in the world without having to own a thing!

you mention you have a ton of rental properties yourself (assuming they arent timeshares)...but the same concept applies...tons of owners rent out their unused weeks/points year after year!

NavyVet

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
one option I didnt see you mention above is renting, it really is a great way to enjoy timesharing anywhere in the world without having to own a thing!

you mention you have a ton of rental properties yourself (assuming they arent timeshares)...but the same concept applies...tons of owners rent out their unused weeks/points year after year!

Yeah we are going to rent for a vacation and research. One of the real reasons that I am interested in buying is that I think there is some value in the market that gets ignored because of the stigma of a timeshare coupled with the closed/hidden nature of the marketplace. I don't believe that there is large sums of money to be made, but I think that 10-15% margin on average is achievable given the right purchases, and the other catch is that my wife loves doing the things needed to achieve that margin (I am calling it vacation horse trading..)...

We are actually looking at heading to Branson MO (neither of us has ever been, and we want to see what the fuss is... if it isn't what it's cracked up to be, we will find our own fun have a laugh and tell people not to go...) as a rental in the next couple of months....

and yes my rentals are regular old apartment/houses, part of the reason that I even mention it, is because the saying is "you make money when you buy" in real estate is the absolute truth (although not buying can also be a wise choice), but when I was getting the business rolling I spent countless hours figuring out the hidden value in the properties. I have gotten the sense that there are some timeshares available that would generate value, it would just be a matter of figuring out what ones. There are also some parallels between apartment rentals and timeshares...

Cappy

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Stay away from buying in Orlando, Vegas & Branson! Over built & not in high demand like weeks 7-13 Marco Island, Florida and wintertime in Caribbean!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Buying timeshares to rent might not be a good idea.

The developers like Wyndham are not real happy to have mega-renters setting up shop. There is a very long thread about RonP and a good number of other Wyndham owners (and TUG posters) who have been LOCKED OUT of their accounts (ownership) for over 6 months now ... paying thousands per month to keep their accounts current with NO to very limited to somewhat limited usage. Wyndham seems to have some standard ... and I am sure other chains will follow a similar path ...to discourage "closet timeshare landlords".