• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

POLL: Do you pay the ARDA donation on your Maintenance fee bill?

Do you pay the $5 ARDA Donation on your maintenance fee bill?

• Total voters

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
You're probably right about this but what I understood about this was that these upfront fee scam companies put the ARDA logo on their website and claimed they were ARDA-accredited in order to appear legitimate to unsuspecting prey.:shrug:

while you certainly do get the right to use the ARDA logo upon paid memberships....you will find the major players are at the forefront of most arda conventions, presentations and literature.

their membership list is available on their website.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
... As for privacy protection laws, they're obviously not very effective. How are these scam companies getting owners' information including name and phone number (rhetorical question because this question has been discussed many times here on TUG)?

Count me as one in agreement with the privacy protection laws regardless of the difficulty they cause owners who want easy access to their fellow owners, no matter the reasons. If an owner feels that strongly about something s/he can access public records the same way the scammers do, or follow the collection methods mandated and outlined in the bylaws. I understand the difficulty this causes when there may be legitimate reasons for owners to band together, but I also know that there are far too many owners out there who would misuse the contact info if it were easily available to them.

And of course, anyone with proof that a timeshare developer/manager is releasing ownership lists in violation of the privacy protection laws should contact the AG's offices local to the timeshare and residence. Or, contact ARDA-ROC. :)

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I saw this post because it was mentioned in the newsletter that I just rec'd.

DeniseM, I am baffled but not surprised by your response. Is there an unwritten (or written) rule I have broken?

Are you saying my posting IP address is the same as others or the IP address when I join TUG? I may have joined TUG more than once (forgetting my user etc...but many many years apart....or no more than twice..also I am sure I was not even in the same state each time much less same IP). I assure you I am not posting under another user or anything unethical like that.

As I said I have worked in the timeshare industry (I made sure to disclose that fact) and I may have been at an office or resort when I first joined. I assure you I am a timeshare owner as well (and have been since the late 80s), and that I made this post from that view point.....but maybe none of that matters...

Curious, and in the interest getting the thread back on topic: Is there a case where the ARDA-ROC PAC lobbied for developers at the expense of timeshare owners?

Can you list for the readers of this website the Top Ten issues that ARDA have help timeshare owners ?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
DeniseM, I am baffled but not surprised by your response. Is there an unwritten (or written) rule I have broken?

I am challenging your assertion that you "have worked" in the timeshare industry - it appears that you currently work in the timeshare industry, as an executive for a developer/management company. Which definitely casts your post in a different light...

My 2 cents. Disclosure, I have worked in the timeshare industry before so guess I do not view all developers as the evil dark side and all owners as good.

Of course you don't - you are employed by them...

Last edited:

karibkeith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Its on the Invoice

The invoice I get from a points based organization includes the ARDA fee and describes it as voluntary but just try to get rid of it. I give up and pay the damn thing. Somewhere I read that ARDA is only open to Americans. It seems my Canadian address does not stop the organization from collecting it from me. I have no idea what ARDA does for me.
There is a CRDA that says they are affiliated with ARDA and it sounds like they get a lot of their material from ARDA.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
you can also just send in 5 less dollars Kari.

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
Illegal

No, because ARDA is (as I understand it) a registered US PAC and it is illegal for foreign nationals (i.e. Canadians) to interfere in the US political process by supporting PAC's. I always deduct these fees. Don't want to be denied access to the United States! :D

I do actually wish that they would stop adding this to the fees of foreign owners.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
No, because ARDA is (as I understand it) a registered US PAC and it is illegal for foreign nationals (i.e. Canadians) to interfere in the US political process by supporting PAC's. I always deduct these fees. Don't want to be denied access to the United States! :D

I do actually wish that they would stop adding this to the fees of foreign owners.

Not 100% sure of the laws, but I think you are okay. The problem lies with the ARDA-PAC for accepting illegal contributions. There was something about this a few years ago.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...y-fine-20100809_1_timeshare-fec-contributions

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
A Question

A question just popped into my mind (Actually it was last night).

Whose idea is it to put the ARDA contribution on the MF bill and effectively, gently suggesting the owner(s) pay this contribution? The resort? Management company? HOA? Developer? Timeshare company?

I guess IOW I'm trying to ask is Who (besides the ARDA) benefits from the ARDA receiving this contribution? Is some other party "in bed" with the ARDA and hence, gently suggests owners contribute?:ponder:

karibkeith

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wrote e-mail to ARDA-ROC several years ago and they answered that Diamond has switched to soliciting for ARDA-ROC only (not ARDA -ROC PAC), so there are no restrictions as to what individuals can contribute. So they say!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I wrote e-mail to ARDA-ROC several years ago and they answered that Diamond has switched to soliciting for ARDA-ROC only (not ARDA -ROC PAC), so there are no restrictions as to what individuals can contribute. So they say!
The question is then, what does ARDA ROC do with that money? I thought ARDA ROC was pretty much just a PAC?

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Every Year I have to make at least 3 phone calls to Starwood / Vistana to get my Arda fees removed... Each time they tell me its gone and then I look on line at my account and it shows I still owe $5.00 in MF's...It should not be automatically added to the bill and it should not be this hard every year to get it off my SDO account...

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, no individual timeshare owner should ever pay the optional ARDA fee. ARDA works for the developers, not individual owners. ARDA has killed bills in certain states that would have led to more consumer protection from predatory timeshare developers and backed legislation (I.e. Florida) that led to decreased protection for individual consumers / owners.

ARDA makes millions off the "voluntary" donations of owners, and then turns around and uses those millions to protect developers, often at the expense of owner rights and owner protections.

Hypothetically, if every owner paid their $5, $7, $10 ARDA fee instead to some kind of Timeshare Owners Protection group, that would generate $50M-$80M per year and would give owners the funds needed to level the playing field against the developers.

Not all developers are the same. But some of the timeshare management / developer companies out there appear to have no conscience and aggressively exploit every loophole available to them to take advantage of owners. ARDA is not protecting timeshare owners, not even against those super aggressive predatory timeshare management / developer companies.

Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know what this would be counted as but here goes:

I used to because when the MF bill came, the resort explained why the ARDA could use the money so I naively believed it and paid the contribution. After I discovered TUG and read many threads, I stopped paying the contribution.

PS. We only owned it for one year after that and then sold it. So I guess the answer to the original question "
Do you pay the ARDA donation on your Maintenance fee bill?" is No, I no longer own one.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I have gone back and forth on the contribution, some years i do and other I skip it. After reading this thread i think I will have to go back and see if i can figure out more about what ADRA actually does.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I've never paid it and I never will, I just hate that they stick it on my bill and then the onus is on me to get it off...

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never paid it. Went to an owners meeting this year and resort manager was encouraging owners to pay it as ARDA was working with the USVI government against the occupancy tax $25/day to no avail, it is now relabeled as impact fee on timeshare occupants passed the VI senate as they are desperate for $.

jeysa

Reaction score
Hmm the results caugh me off guard i must say. I did not expect "NO! - I think they work for the developer - not the owner." to have the majority of the vote. Eye opening, i guess another reason why i love this voting threads sometimes :)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Im thrilled to see only 10% specifically choose to pay it!

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm the results caugh me off guard i must say. I did not expect "NO! - I think they work for the developer - not the owner." to have the majority of the vote. Eye opening, i guess another reason why i love this voting threads sometimes :)

It is because in reality that is the case and since TUG members are generally informed the results make sense.

It is very difficult for any organization to work for timeshare owners because there is little out there that organizes timeshare owners with a common agenda or goal. Timeshares are either being used and cause no issues or they are an annoyance but not enough to take action with an agenda. Owners sit back and are complacent. Tug is an exception but we are such a small minority of the overall timeshare ownership number.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I've never paid it and I never will, I just hate that they stick it on my bill and then the onus is on me to get it off...

Yes, that is my problem with it. People here on TUG will tell you that it's not that hard to take it off, but it IS difficult to communicate to Vistana that I do not want to pay it on all of my weeks. I tend to have more than $5 credit on my statements. For whatever reason, I have various amounts of credit on my weeks. It's probably my fault for not doing the math as I should when I pay fees to book next year's weeks.