• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Po'ipu Point Subdivision Announcement [merged]

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Here's the cultural impact assessment:

https://www.academia.edu/4923646/CIA_for_Makahuena

I like this part:

Although there are no valued cultural or traditional resources within the project area based on background research and interviews, future development of the property has the potential to adversely affect the exercise of traditional practices for subsistence related marine exploitation. This adverse effect can be mitigated by including explicit plans to ensure, and potentially enhance, access to the shoreline.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you noticed ... The developer did the EIR!
That's actually the norm. Only in the most significant projects does a government agency do the EIR.

Note that an EIR is only an informational document. Agencies may or may not use it for decision-making. When an applicant applies for a permit the issuing makes it's only review of information provided, and may request additional information than is in the EIR, and may require additional mitigation measures beyond what is proposed in the EIR. Or deny the project entirely if the measures proposed in the EIR are deemed inadequate and the applicant doesn't propose alternatives that will pass muster.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Balancing Act

It's a couple of weeks old, but I just found this article from The Garden Island newspaper. If they stay true to their promised intentions, I'll be a happy camper. I love watching sunsets from the beacon, waves crashing through the sea arch, spouts of mist coming up from the mini blow hole, and turtles swimming in the cove. None of those would be possible if shoreline access was blocked.

Balancing Act by Darin Moriki - The Garden Island

A public access path, according to plans, would be provided along the periphery of the property and accessed by a public parking area along Pee Road. The private homes, meanwhile, would be separated from the public access area by a rock retaining wall.

“It is intended that there is going to be no development makai of the wall, and the intent is to provide access to the shoreline, so there is no intention to block people from accessing the shoreline,” Tom Schnell, principal and planner at Honolulu-based planning firm PBR Hawaii and Associates, Inc.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Makahuena Point Subdivision

There's an updated sales brochure that gives a better idea of what they want to do with the land.

Makahuena Point Subdivision

Hw9TPRlweXwsUmxQbOkHW-7zFYPFslDZu1fTaucPpajjlmsMExu6Y7rJwQ0uN9ZcND8fd-Zi4DWZVSVvrkU2vm3L7JguIXmpJbGbjMIxmds.jpg

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Po'ipu Point

This makes me ill!:bawl: I still find it hard to believe that the County of Kaua'i would let this land be developed.

Maybe the strategy should be for our new owners to just buy the lots in front of Bldgs 4 and 6 and leave them undeveloped or make them into a private park for the resort.

Since they are appealing to the "rich and famous" you know these homes are not going to be one story, three bedroom ramblers. They are going to build up so potentially even the second floor units could have very little ocean view.

I am sure it will be several years before there will be any meaningful home construction on the point, so we can enjoy it while it lasts.

The next HOA meeting is going to be real interesting!!!!

Cheers,

Paul

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
According to a facebook diamond owners group and tripadvisor, the POP has now put up 10-12 ft high dust fencing along the perimeter and begun construction. One person on facebook says they have been dynamiting every day at 4 pm and the construction goes from 6 am until dark. Most oceanviews along this side of the resort have construction views.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Already fretting about our Jan 2018 reservation at Poipu. I'm hoping our wait list comes through at Worldmark Kapaa.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We'll be there next month. I'll share plenty of pictures.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Commercial zoning in Hawaii must be easy to approve this project from the environmental standards in our state.:D

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As promised, I took a bunch of pictures of the construction site. The wall is impressive, up to 8' high in spots. The good news is that you can still walk up to the beacon without going through the construction site, although for now, you can only access it from the east end near building 6. I wouldn't recommend walking near there while they're dynamiting. We're staying in 6-305, and our view of the ocean really isn't impeded, but lower floors may not see much of anything except the dust screen. Here's a link to 23 pictures.

https://artringwald.smugmug.com/Travel/Makahuena-Point-Subdivision/

Here's the view from one side of our lanai:

2017-02-05%2009-10-09-L.jpg

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your photos. That commercial project developer is going to spend some big bucks to improve and enchane that plot of land for construction (that is my prediction).

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What a difference a day makes! They took down the dust fence. :clap:

2017-02-06%2009-25-57-L.jpg

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the pics. How is the noise?
Not bad at all yesterday. :D Today Woody the Rock Pecker is busy up on the hill, but the worst is the backup beepers on the trucks. Along with the crashing of the waves, and the breezes blowing, I think it makes an interesting symphony of sounds... except when you're trying to take a nap.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
When will this construction project be completely finished?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When will this construction project be completely finished?

According to the CIRI web site:

The bulk of the work will involve grading the site to make the lots buildable, along with installation of numerous rock retaining and privacy walls. This work will take place Jan. 1–March 31, 2017, to accommodate the breeding season of migratory shorebirds (April 1–Dec. 31), when no ground disturbance construction may take place in close proximity to their underground nests. That leaves a narrow three-month window in which to accomplish the majority of the work. The actual roadway improvements and utilities for the project will be finished just prior to the expected June 2017 completion date.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Will this be the first construction project to be completed on time. What are the betting odds against them completing the majority of the work on time? They will have to work at least 12 hours day to complete this project between Jan. 1 - March 31, 2017.
Did the contractor or developer tell the migratory shorebirds that there are going to be some changes after this project is completed. Just joking.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The project states they are going to build ten luxury homes at this project sites. Lots 1 - 6 will directly have impact on the resort views. What will be the median price for the homes at this project site ?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Will this be the first construction project to be completed on time. What are the betting odds against them completing the majority of the work on time? They will have to work at least 12 hours day to complete this project between Jan. 1 - March 31, 2017.

They've made quite a bit of progress just in the 3 days since we got here. They work from 7 to 5, 6 days a week. I'll take some more pictures before we leave.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The project states they are going to build ten luxury homes at this project sites. Lots 1 - 6 will directly have impact on the resort views. What will be the median price for the homes at this project site ?

Any guesses? I'll guess $3M for the land and $2M for the house. I'm also guessing 10 years before the first 70% are built.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any guesses? I'll guess $3M for the land and $2M for the house. I'm also guessing 10 years before the first 70% are built.

Thanks for the update information. My prediction: Once the first two (2) ocean front lots / homes are sold and build. I bet the other lots will be sold in less than five years.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The workers will get off today:

2017-02-11%2007-20-18-L.jpg