• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Platinum vs. Presidential Reserve

boobosa

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me the difference between platinum vs. PR? Pros and cons? Maintenance fees, perks in advancing to PR, is it worth it, etc? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lcml11

Reaction score
Last edited:

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me the difference between platinum vs. PR? Pros and cons? Maintenance fees, perks in advancing to PR, is it worth it, etc?

Both Platinum and PR require at least 1 million developer points purchase. And both grant owner Platinum VIP status for discounts, etc.

PR does cost more for MF with a surcharge added to the costs, about $.25 per 1,000 points. PR allows owner to have 14 month ARP at the home resort, and 12 month ARP at other PR resorts inventory (must be PR inventory, cannot book non-PR inventory at 12 months). Also, while you can achieve Platinum status with PIC units, you cannot achieve PR status with PIC.

Hope that helps.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Presidential Reserve Exclusive benefits include:

Guaranteed access
Exclusive access
  • Presidential Reserve Members receive exclusive access to available Presidential Reserve Suites from 12 to 10 months in advance of your check-in date at all Presidential Reserve Resorts.
Privileged Reserve Period
  • 10 months to 30 days prior to your check-in date is the Privileged Reserve Period for Presidential Reserve Suites. Up to 75% of unreserved Presidential Reserve Suites will be held for CLUB WYNDHAM Presidential Reserve Members to access during this benefit period.
On-site resort benefits
While staying at a Presidential Reserve Resort, members enjoy:

• white_glove.jpg
    Presidential Arrival – your presidential treatment continues upon your arrival at the resort. From dimmed lighting and soothing music to premium snacks and upgraded bath amenities, you will enjoy the privilege of relaxing in a plush Presidential Reserve Suite, complete with presidential upgrades.
  • Special on-site amenities – fee-based services exclusively available to CLUB WYNDHAM Presidential Reserve Members
    • girl_holding_towels.jpg
      Housekeeping On-Demand - we are pleased to offer Presidential Reserve Members two (2) options for daily housekeeping of their suite.
      • Option 1, the Spruce and Tidy, will provide a fresh set of towels, remove the refuse from the suite, and remake the beds with fresh bed linens. Service fees vary by resort and will be billed to your suite. Contact the resort directly for pricing.
      • Option 2 provides all of the services of the Spruce and Tidy above as well as the placing in or removing dishes from the dishwasher, cleaning the kitchen, and vacuuming the traffic areas. Service fees vary by resort and will be billed to your suite. Contact the resort directly for pricing.
      • Of course, Presidential Reserve Members will still receive their one Midweek “Clean and Tidy” cleaning during their full week stays. This mini cleaning includes a fresh set of towels and the removal of refuse from the suite.
    • chef.jpg
      In-room personal chef - If you would like to have a private chef prepare a meal in your suite for any occasion, Resort Management staff will be happy to coordinate. We ask that you please request this service at least 48 hours prior to when you would like the meal prepared. Resort Management will work with you and the chef to finalize all of your meal options and arrangements. The cost for this service, along with a service fee, will be billed to your suite. Once the staff obtains a chef, you will work directly with the chef to finalize all your meal details and other arrangements. Prices vary according to the nature of your request.
    • groceries.jpg
      Pre-stocked groceries - upon request, we will be delighted to pre-stock your suite with groceries that you select from a pre-set list of items. We ask that you please place all orders at least 72 hours prior to your arrival. Changes to your order can be made up to 24 hours prior to your arrival. A service fee of $25 will be added to the cost of groceries and billed to your suite.
    • Area services - specific to each Presidential Reserve Resort location, enjoy special services that take advantage of opportunities in the local area to make every stay presidential class.
Exclusive toll-free service number
  • 1-866-RESERVE (737-3783) is dedicated to CLUB WYNDHAM Presidential Reserve members.
As an eligible Presidential Reserve Member, you also have Platinum VIP status in CLUB WYNDHAM Plus.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
also note that presidential reserve is a deeded ownership. Certain units are presidential reserve units and these are the units that would be noted on the deeds

it is possible to buy a presidential reserve contract on the secondary market and therefore possible to own presidential reserve but not be a VIP

asreiter

TUG Member
Reaction score
it is possible to buy a presidential reserve contract on the secondary market and therefore possible to own presidential reserve but not be a VIP[/QUOTE]

I need to find one of these contracts!!

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Presidential Reserve units are a lot more points to book. If you are developer Gold or Platinum already it is typically another big chunk of money to go PR. Yes a percentage of PR inventory is held for PR owners but it isn't quite the rosy picture they paint in the sales presentations. It works great if you are booking further out but what they don't tell you is that often the bulk of what is available within the last couple of months is off season reservations at resorts that are very definitely seasonal. Want to go to the ski resorts out West in the summer or Myrtle Beach in the winter? You would be one of the few people who do. Without the VIP discount and free upgrade PR units are a lot more points to book and become very expensive when you calculate the maintenance fees on the points used. If you are able to go pretty last minute I find that many PR owners are renters and I can sometimes pick up their cancellations when it gets down to the 15 day cancellation window.

I'm trying to stay impartial on what I say about it because this is a choice that involves a lot of money and only you can decide what is right for you. You need to think about how much you will have to spend to go PR, look over the benefits in my previous post and think about what your usage will be of those PR units.

If anyone is considering buying PR on the secondary market and they don't already have the VIP status to be able to book non PR units to use to get the upgrade to the PR unit then be prepared to own and pay maintenance fees on a huge number of points. It would truly be much, much cheaper to rent stays in the PR units from owners. For example a 4 bedroom presidential at Bonnet Creek in Orlando is 424,000 points in one of the prime season weeks. The maintenance fees on that reservation would run you about $2100 and maybe more. You can easily rent for less than that.

Last edited:

lcml11

Reaction score
"I need to find one of these contracts!!"

Be careful on re-sale purchase. If I read the following correctly, the benefits associated with the Presidential Reserves membership may not be available on a re-sale buy. See page 380 of the Member's Directory.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
The maintenance fees on presidential reserve units are not that much more than the regular points at the same resort.

While certainly someone that wants presidential reserve is likely to be cost conscious , my guess is that they are more lily to be value shoppers. And some folks find value With a presidential reserve ownership.

As Jan says perhaps over $2000 a week. In fact a 4 bedroom presidential at Bonnet Creek is 424000 points ($2500) that sounds high until you consider it sleeps 12. Or $200 a week per person. Not too bad

My point is that what's too much to spend is different for each of us

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
it is possible to buy a presidential reserve contract on the secondary market and therefore possible to own presidential reserve but not be a VIP

I need to find one of these contracts!!

There is one on eBay right now.

lcml11

Reaction score

Before you buy, research, on line, Smuggler's Notch or any other resort you would buy at to make sure it is everything you would want it to be.

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
"I need to find one of these contracts!!"

Be careful on re-sale purchase. If I read the following correctly, the benefits associated with the Presidential Reserves membership may not be available on a re-sale buy. See page 380 of the Member's Directory.
Incorrect, or at least misleading. A resale PR buyer (not from an immediate relative) has ALL benefits of PR, with the exception of:
1) exchange privileges in the Registry Collection program (this is an external exchange program)
2) access to Registry Collection Concierge (a special vacation planner)
3) VIP benefits.

A resale PR owner still has the exclusive access rights and booking windows not afforded to non-PR owners.

BellaWyn

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Incorrect, or at least misleading. A resale PR buyer (not from an immediate relative) has ALL benefits of PR, with the exception of:
1) exchange privileges in the Registry Collection program (this is an external exchange program)
2) access to Registry Collection Concierge (a special vacation planner)
3) VIP benefits.

A resale PR owner still has the exclusive access rights and booking windows not afforded to non-PR owners.
Chris, in the current system, if you add an aftermarket PR contract to an existing VIP account, wouldn't those PR points function as VIP at the 10 month mark?

We don't know how that will change if they restrict how VIP functions if they ever roll out a new system however.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Chris, in the current system, if you add an aftermarket PR contract to an existing VIP account, wouldn't those PR points function as VIP at the 10 month mark?

We don't know how that will change if they restrict how VIP functions if they ever roll out a new system however.

Not Chris, but Ill jump in with a Yes, thats right. if you add resale contract to an existing VIP account the VIP benefits will extend the new contract

and as you suggest that might change in the future.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not Chris, but Ill jump in with a Yes, thats right. if you add resale contract to an existing VIP account the VIP benefits will extend the new contract

and as you suggest that might change in the future.
Are you talking about the ability to credit pool after the start of use year, 6 months or 9 months, or are their additional benefits to take advantage of during the use year?

Sent from my RCT6873W42 using Tapatalk

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the ability to credit pool after the start of use year, 6 months or 9 months, or are their additional benefits to take advantage of during the use year?

discounts and upgrades,unlimited housekeeping and transactions, and you get to use included guest confirms for reservations made with the resale points

Last edited:

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
discounts and upgrades,unlimited housekeeping and transactions, and you gey to use included guest confirms for reservations made with the resale points
That makes absolutely no sense. Is that due to Wyndham's lack of ability to distinguish between direct buys and resale in a VIP account? Page 379 first paragraph, heir's don't neven get those benefits, of course unless they buy more.

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
That makes absolutely no sense. Is that due to Wyndham's lack of ability to distinguish between direct buys and resale in a VIP account? Page 379 first paragraph, heir's don't neven get those benefits, of course unless they buy more.

Heirs do not have to buy more points to maintain existing VIP benefits of a predecessor. However, VIP maybe lost if the decedent's account is split up such that the surviving accounts do not meet the VIP thresholds.

BTW, I read that paragraph (last sentence). There is absolutely nothing that says heirs must purchase more points. It distinctly says immediate relatives inherit all benefits.

Last edited:

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Heirs do not have to buy more points to maintain existing VIP benefits of a predecessor. However, VIP maybe lost if the decedent's account is split up such that the surviving accounts do not meet the VIP thresholds.

BTW, I read that paragraph (last sentence). There is absolutely nothing that says heirs must purchase more points. It distinctly says immediate relatives inherit all benefits.

Yes but they do not maintain pres. Reserve benefits. Heirs go to platinum.

rubbub

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes but they do not maintain pres. Reserve benefits. Heirs go to platinum.

I do not believe this to be correct. Anyone buying or inheriting a PR contract is classified as a PR Member and will receive those benefits. However, unless they are an immediate relative of the previous owner they will not receive/inherit the following benefits: Exchange privileges in The Registry Collection program; Access to The Registry Collection Concierge; and VIP benefits.

rubbub

TUG Member
Reaction score

I noticed the Smuggler's Notch contract I believe you are referring to is not 1m+ points. Is this because the PR threshold was lower when the contract was first purchased?

I assume a resale buyer (who is not already PR), would still receive PR benefits since the classification it is tied to the underlying deed/contract. I ask because the Members Directory does state 1m points must be owned. Would 'grandfathered' PR status transfer with the deed/contract to the buyer?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

Perhaps not but it's how I made my money. 126000 points bought directly from Wyndham let me take advantage of a loophole to make two platinum accounts. Then I added 30 million resale points and every bit of it got the VIP discount, unlimited housekeeping, unlimited transactions and a total of 60 guest confirms

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I noticed the Smuggler's Notch contract I believe you are referring to is not 1m+ points. Is this because the PR threshold was lower when the contract was first purchased?

I assume a resale buyer (who is not already PR), would still receive PR benefits since the classification it is tied to the underlying deed/contract. I ask because the Members Directory does state 1m points must be owned. Would 'grandfathered' PR status transfer with the deed/contract to the buyer?

The contract itself is PR, there is no grandfathering. You get the exclusive PR access at home of 12-14 months, and exclusive system-wide PR access at 10-11 months. You also retain the access to 75% of PR units during SRP.

All you miss out on is the Platinum VIP benefits (hence the 1M threshold, but this does not convey on resale anyway), such as the Reciprocal ARP in the 10-11 month window.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

1 million + has been the number for Platinum since Ive been involved

heres one explanation: for the odd mumber of points. This resort is a weeks resort that wyndham just recently becam involved with. and I believe the original developer sold the weeks two at a time, One in ski season and one not. This owner may have owned multiple 2 week packages and been convinced by a slick wyndham salesman to convert them to points. So this may be one deed out of several they owned. For all we know, they may still be platinum and presidential reserve by virtue of the deeds they arent selling

BellaWyn

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not Chris, but Ill jump in.....
The question got answered regardess so thank you.
1 million + has been the number for Platinum since Ive been involved

Heres one explanation: for the odd mumber of points. This resort is a weeks resort that wyndham just recently becam involved with. and I believe the original developer sold the weeks two at a time, One in ski season and one not. This owner may have owned multiple 2 week packages and been convinced by a slick wyndham salesman to convert them to points. So this may be one deed out of several they owned. For all we know, they may still be platinum and presidential reserve by virtue of the deeds they arent selling
Smuggs is PR location which means somehow Wyn was able to take existing Smuggs inventory and "designate" specific unitis as "PR Inventory" and then sell a contact that includes points associated specifically with that designated inventory. In a PR contact it actually identifies the PR unit numbers, up to the point equivalency, of the number of points sold..

The owner selling the currently listed 654K eBay contract may have only needed the less-than-1MM-points to hit the PR point requirement, which would have needed to exceed the Plat VIP 1MM minimum to qualify for PR at the time of purchase.

Note that the use of "only" does not in any way minimize that a 654K point developer purchase at the PR per/K price is still a freakin' big-A amount of $$ to drop. The $16K eBay resale price is a huge drop from what it originally sold for by WYN to that owner.