• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Planning the divorce before the wedding...

kshell18

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at a Wyndham contract for a converted week (39) at Flagstaff. My main attraction to this was the lower MFs. I've been doing a lot of reading and have a good idea of what I'm getting into, including how hard it can be to get rid of a TS if needed. In fact, that is my only concern with purchasing, as one never knows what will happen in the future - sickness or loss of employment could necessitate the getting rid of a TS. I understand that it is not a financial investment and I should expect to not make any money off of selling it in the future (and in fact may need to spend some money in the form of closing costs, transfer fees, or MFs to unload it) but I was wondering if there was any opinion as to how hard it would be to either give this back to Wyndham through Ovation or give it away to another owner if needed. I also understand that these are just opinions and there is no way to know for sure what will happen, but several of you seem to be able to identify how valuable a contract is and whether it may be more desirable than another. Thanks.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
I think the MF rate on that is around $4.80 per thousand; it's certainly lower than average, but there are better deeds out there if your main goal is cheap MFs.

kshell18

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the MF rate on that is around $4.80 per thousand; it's certainly lower than average, but there are better deeds out there if your main goal is cheap MFs.
I know national harbor gets brought up a a lot, though I haven't seen one yet. I've seen a couple of Bali Hai that were EOY, but it seemed like that would make things more complicated if the goal was to take a yearly family vacation.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
I don't know about Ovation, but I would think a converted week with that MF could be given away easily, and probably could fetch a few $$.

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
Flagstaff is an in demand property. Low MF's. Close to Grand Canyon and other National parks and monuments. You wouls have ZERO problem giving it away to Ovation and might be able to sell it for a few bucks.

kshell18

TUG Member
Reaction score
Flagstaff is an in demand property. Low MF's. Close to Grand Canyon and other National parks and monuments. You wouls have ZERO problem giving it away to Ovation and might be able to sell it for a few bucks.
Thank you for the information. Ideally, I'd like to use it year after year for family vacations, but you never know what life will hand you so I just wanted to check.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
It is just one more of thousands of existential risks.

BellaWyn

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
if its a Week 39 Loft unit then it will hold it's value (depending on how much you are paying for it now). Week 39 is mid-late September -- a beautiful time of year in Flag.

The HOA, both Ridgewood and Tanglewood, are stable and the Board is very innovative and methodical about upgrades and repairs. Owners are fairly active in the voting and the HOA's keep owners regularly informed. We get quarterly newsletters on updates and Board happenings.

When it's time to get rid of it, don't give it away or hand off to Ovation. Put a little effort into listing it first on Redweek, MyResortNetwork or TUG. There are also Arizona R.E. brokers familiar with the timeshare industry in AZ that you can work with to list it.

Flag has been an RCI Gold Crown location on a continuum for over 13 years. Given the age of the resort that's not easy to obtain. Nor is keeping the MF's as low as they are currently with an aging resort. Speaks to the efficencies of the HOA's.

If WYN ever cut the Flag location loose from their portfolio Flag would be fine. Doubt they will because there are a lot of CWA block sales that have also happened.

kshell18

TUG Member
Reaction score
if its a Week 39 Loft unit then it will hold it's value (depending on how much you are paying for it now). Week 39 is mid-late September -- a beautiful time of year in Flag.

The HOA, both Ridgewood and Tanglewood, are stable and the Board is very innovative and methodical about upgrades and repairs. Owners are fairly active in the voting and the HOA's keep owners regularly informed. We get quarterly newsletters on updates and Board happenings.

When it's time to get rid of it, don't give it away or hand off to Ovation. Put a little effort into listing it first on Redweek, MyResortNetwork or TUG. There are also Arizona R.E. brokers familiar with the timeshare industry in AZ that you can work with to list it.

Flag has been an RCI Gold Crown location on a continuum for over 13 years. Given the age of the resort that's not easy to obtain. Nor is keeping the MF's as low as they are currently with an aging resort. Speaks to the efficencies of the HOA's.

If WYN ever cut the Flag location loose from their portfolio Flag would be fine. Doubt they will because there are a lot of CWA block sales that have also happened.
I'm not sure if it's a loft but it is 182k points so it's a 2 bedroom in prime season.

BellaWyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
The 182K is usually a Loft unit. What's the unit number on the underlying deed and HOA? Will be able to tell from that. A converted FW will have an underlyung deed that will tell you that information.

kshell18

TUG Member
Reaction score
The 182K is usually a Loft unit. What's the unit number on the underlying deed and HOA? Will be able to tell from that. A converted FW will have an underlyung deed that will tell you that information.
The deeded unit is 0104. Since it's been converted to points, what is the significance of this in terms of the value of the contract?

BellaWyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
The deeded unit is 0104. Since it's been converted to points, what is the significance of this in terms of the value of the contract?
Value will be in:
1) Lower than other converted contracts MF's
2) ARP if you want to employ that option. It's a good week to travel to that location.

If you are only going for low MF's as the purchase goal, then, as Spackler has already indicated, there are other locations with lower MF. Not sure you will see a low point volume contract come up at those however. Most are 300K points or higher.

Unit 0104 is a Loft unit. It shows up on the resort map as 3104 but the deed will say 0104. If you ever dump it into RCI it's likely it will never make it to the exchange. RCI will put it in their rental pool.

kshell18

TUG Member
Reaction score
Value will be in:
1) Lower than other converted contracts MF's
2) ARP if you want to employ that option. It's a good week to travel to that location.

If you are only going for low MF's as the purchase goal, then, as Spackler has already indicated, there are other locations with lower MF. Not sure you will see a low point volume contract come up at those however. Most are 300K points or higher.

Unit 0104 is a Loft unit. It shows up on the resort map as 3104 but the deed will say 0104. If you ever dump it into RCI it's likely it will never make it to the exchange. RCI will put it in their rental pool.
Is it a good thing that RCI would put it in their rental pool rather than letting it go to exchange?

BellaWyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it a good thing that RCI would put it in their rental pool rather than letting it go to exchange?
Only in the respect that it means RCI wants it and you would get better than average TPU's. Don't know the TPU value in RCI these days because we never put ours into RCI. I can get the same rental price for the week that RCI can when we are not using our FW units. Don't need any more RCI TPU's than we already get every year from our non-WYN contracts. You can figure it out using the RCI TPU calculator.

Last edited:

kshell18

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only in the respect that it means RCI wants it and you would get better than average TPU's. Don't know the TPU value in RCI these days because we never put ours into RCI. I can get the same rental price fore the week that RCI can when we are not using our FW units. Don't need any more RCI TOU's than we alreday get every year from our non-WYN contracts.. You can figure it out using the RCI TPU calculator.
If I wanted to trade through RCI, would I need to deposit the points before the 13 month ARP window opens up in order to ensure that RCI would get that particular unit at that particular time?

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
With converted weeks, don't the points deposit to RCI through the portal just like any other points contract?

kshell18

TUG Member
Reaction score
With converted weeks, don't the points deposit to RCI through the portal just like any other points contract?
That's what I'm not sure about. How does ARP work with a converted week contract and does it influence how exchanges through RCI work?

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am fairly certain that weeks converted to points deposit like all other points in Wyndham, but I don't have first-hand experience. Someone who's done it would need to confirm.

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater

Family and I going there in early September. Have a 2BR reserved. Where should /can we request for accommodations.

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
That's what I'm not sure about. How does ARP work with a converted week contract and does it influence how exchanges through RCI work?

You get ARP for the underlying week only. So, in this case, week 39.

kshell18

TUG Member
Reaction score
You get ARP for the underlying week only. So, in this case, week 39.
How does that influence exchanging it through RCI then? Is it just points are points or if it gets deposited within the ARP window, would it be as that particular week in that particular unit?

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
How does that influence exchanging it through RCI then? Is it just points are points or if it gets deposited within the ARP window, would it be as that particular week in that particular unit?

I believe that with Wyndham points we are only allowed to exchange for weeks inventory. If you look in the directory there is an RCI exchange chart that shows you what amount of points are required for each size room in each season.

BellaWyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Family and I going there in early September. Have a 2BR reserved. Where should /can we request for accommodations.
A 2BR Dlx, 2BR LO or 2BR Loft? Is it a Wyn points unit out of the Wyn reservation system or an RCI exchange?

Flag is a 2,200 ACRE property. The units are spread out all over that land mass. Lockoff units will be in the Ridgewood area. Loft units are mostly all in the Tanglewood HOA area clustered near the Bear Paw Activities Center. The 2BR Dlx units are a combination of Tri-Level units and single level units located all over the rest of the property.

So, if you want to be fairly close to the pool and Activities Center then ask for something in those areas. Early September the resort will still be busy but not summer-slammed as long as it is post-Labor Day. Usually if you call in advance and make a request they try to accommodate. But if they are slammed they have some limitation because there are still quite a few Fixed Week owners that they will not move under any circumstance (sans a critical maintenance issue).

ALL loft units have a private hot tub on the exterior deck. Only a small handful of the 2BR Dlx units will have one. Lockoffs do not.

FLAG_Map.jpg

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
We have a 2BR Loft reserved in October...any particular area/unit we should be requesting? Or are they all pretty much the same?

(Thanks for the info, btw)

BellaWyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a 2BR Loft reserved in October...any particular area/unit we should be requesting? Or are they all pretty much the same?
(Thanks for the info, btw)
For the most part they are all they same. Ridgewood has 6 Loft units directly across from Bear Paw (R1-R6). The rest belong to the Tanglewood HOA. There are at least 4 "oddball" loft units that have slightly different layout with the Guest bedroom and bathroom upstairs vs downstairs near the main living area. Still nice units, just different in the layout.

Lofts are all roughly 1,400sqft with a King Master w/en suite bath, King or Queen Guest (usually King) with a jack&Jill bath#2 and double twins in the upstairs loft area. Kitchens are huge and well stocked. Flat screen TV's that have HDMI ports if you want to carry your Firestick along. Free wifi. Guests all have full access to the amenities on site and at the Country Club, including discounted green fees if you feel like a round of golf.

The Flag location sits smack in the middle of surrounding residential homes (as does the Sedona location). You will see a lot of locals walking their pets in the area. These are almost always residents, not transient guests. About 10% of the units are loft units.

In October expect temps in the 60's. If you have minimal experience with higher altitudes some people experience challenges with the thinner air (which will pass quickly). Similar to the Colorado and Park City locations. Flag is about 7,000ft. SF Peak is 12,000ft. compared to Phoenix, which is around 1,000ft. If you fly into Phoenix and drive to Flag (about 2hrs) you go from the warm arid desert to the cooler high desert forest passing through redrock on the way.

Last edited: