• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pi-hole: extremely good experience

stevio99

TUG Member
Reaction score
My latest computer project was adding a "pi-hole" to my network.
Essentially its a hardware-based ad-blocker. It uses low-cost hardware (raspberry pi, or similar).
At first, the effect was slightly noticeable, but it didn't blow me away. But I recently spent a few days in a hotel, and its absence was VERY noticeable.

You can build it using the raspberry pi ($5) and case ($5) from Microcenter (if you have one near you). The problem is the ethernet port. You can buy a low cost usb to ethernet dongle for a couple of bucks, but I went for using the chromecast ethernet adapter ($15) which powered and supported ethernet simultaneously. A bit expensive for that part.

In retrospect, I would have probably used an Orange Pi Zero. You can get the board and case for $10. Board already has ethernet on it. A Samsung 2A USB power and cable could probably be found on ebay for $4-5.

If you find ads are getting you down, you might consider this.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
How about a link to some more info about the software, stevio? And does it get rid of ads for all computers on your network, or just one?

I just use AdBlocker, but I find it annoying to follow a Yahoo link to some obscure website that objects to my use of an ad-blocker. If they don't want to be linked from Yahoo, they could prevent this.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
https://pi-hole.net/

You set your router's (computer's) DNS to the PI-hole IP address (explained on the website). This routes all traffic on the network (or computer) thru the pi-hole which uses a ad-server database filter to prevent ads.

There are programs that you can use on rooted cell phones that do much the same thing.
Seems like a good idea though...looks simple.