• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Passport For Domestic Travel in 2018?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
For those living in states that are not compliant with Federal law (and have now had 12 years to get compliant), this is a pain. A pox on the houses of legislators in California, Illinois, New York, Pennsylvania, and the twenty other states that have sat on this and done nothing and will now force their citizens to carry their passports instead of having proper DL's that have Real ID. And kudos to the 26 states that have done the right thing by their citizens.
It isn't that easy, many states were against the law. The states saw it as overreach by the federal government in to something that has always been state controlled. They have issue with a massive database of information and documents that the federal government has access to. I won't go any further since this already probably opens a can of worms.

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's little worry about different Dates for non-complaint states as they can just keep applying for extensions it seems up until the 2020 final date.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The quick test. If your driver's license has a gold star on it, it's Real ID compliant. If it doesn't, use a passport.
I'm not sure it is quite this simple.

I live in a compliant state. My wife's license has the gold star, mine does not. The other difference is that her next renewal will occur after 2020 while mine will occur in 2019.

When I go to the state DMV page, it appears to indicate that I am okay with my current license until 2020. If I want a license with a star, I can wait until the normal renewal occurs (in 2019) and obtain a license with a star at that time at no cost. If I want to replace my current license right now in order to have the star, I will have to pay for the cost of a duplicate license. Apparently my current licence will still be good until 2020. At least that is the way I read it.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Follow up to my own post... Apparently my own DMV is not prepared for this upcoming change. I talked to two people at the DMV and got contradictory answers as to whether my current license would pass muster coming next year. I guess rather than taking any chances (or taking my passport for any air travel), I will just get a new license.

I am a bit annoyed at the nuisance factor of having to drive to the DMV and pay a fee, but what annoys me the most is that I will have to bring all the required documentation while my wife had to do nothing and got a starred compliant card. Oh well, ...

uop1497

Reaction score
My California Driver licence will expired in 2021. Can I wait until the renews date or I must take action soon. I hate to go to DMV unless it is absolutely needed

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Can you use the Passport Card vice the actual Passport?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Real ID is also required NOW to get through security at some (perhaps all?) federal office buildings. I cannot use my Washington Drivers License as ID to get into the EPA offices in Seattle, for example. Next we I will be attending a workshop on the east coast at a federal facility. I have been advised by the organizer that my WA Drivers License will not get me in.

It's not a big deal for me, since I always have my passport with me when traveling, and I use it as my primary ID when traveling.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you use the Passport Card vice the actual Passport?
Yes. Passport card=passport book for all purposes except international air travel.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My California Driver licence will expired in 2021. Can I wait until the renews date or I must take action soon. I hate to go to DMV unless it is absolutely needed
Check with the California DMV. I know in New Mexico my license expires after the 2020 date, but the way it's worded for us is that I need to get a new license by 2020, or my expiration date, whichever is sooner.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

California will not start to issue drivers licenses that comply with Real ID until Jan 1, 2018. Going before then is a waste of time. This is very irritating to me, because my license expires next month, and I've been notified that, for the first time in 30 years (for me), I'm required to renew in person and re-take the eye test. I think they're telling me I'm old ;-) I understand the need for this, but renewing 3 months before they'll start with Real IDs is very irritating. Oh well, I have my Global Entry ID for getting through airports.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
We are also in CA and I read and have somewhere, a recent newspaper article that says the licenses will be available starting in January and must be presented to fly domestically starting in 2020. You must come into the DMV office with documentation for the new license. As I had just renewed my license, I will be one of the first in line when available.

I had to renew my passport within the last year and also got one of the passport cards for limited int'l travel and assume I can also opt to use that instead of the new DLs. DH will need to get a new DL or a passport card.

Ingrid

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
California will not start to issue drivers licenses that comply with Real ID until Jan 1, 2018. Going before then is a waste of time. This is very irritating to me, because my license expires next month, and I've been notified that, for the first time in 30 years (for me), I'm required to renew in person and re-take the eye test. I think they're telling me I'm old ;-) I understand the need for this, but renewing 3 months before they'll start with Real IDs is very irritating. Oh well, I have my Global Entry ID for getting through airports.

You think an October expiration date is irritating? Try December 30th! I suppose it is too much to hope that they'll have me as a renew by mail one more time. I think the photo is 10 years old, and I remember getting my brand new license in the mail five years ago, then sticking it in my jeans pocket at the airport three days later and bending over to tie my shoes and bending it neatly in half.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I had to renew my passport within the last year and also got one of the passport cards for limited int'l travel and assume I can also opt to use that instead of the new DLs. DH will need to get a new DL or a passport card.
You can always use your passport for domestic travel -- no need to rush to update your DL.

Kurt

uop1497

Reaction score
I am curious of how the new California Driver licence looks like. Does anyone has a image of it.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am curious of how the new California Driver licence looks like. Does anyone has a image of it.

Again, there is no new CA license. They haven't started issuing Real ID licenses yet. My guess is that, when they do, it will be the same license, but with a gold star. But nobody knows yet.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe

California will begin issuing the new licenses January 18, 2018.

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbour Lake, Divi Phoenix, Coconut Palm II
I live in NY and renewed my DL this past June before being aware of this new law. Would the newly issued DL be the real ID?

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
The Department of Homeland Security offers the most up-to-date information on states that are not compliant and their status. You can refer to this website for current information.