• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Passport For Domestic Travel in 2018?

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Beginning January 18, 2018, residents of as many as 24 states--including the large states of California, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and New York--will need their passports to board domestic flights. Why? Because a law passed by Congress in 2005 requiring "Real ID" enhanced driver's licenses for security purposes has been ignored by those states--and now their citizens will need the kind of enhanced ID their passports offer.

Here is an article with more information.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
While the article shows New Mexico as compliant, not all residents have the real id yet. Dh and I don't. The information available to us says we have until October 2020 to get a compliant driver's license. We are in no rush since our licenses don't expire until after that date. We've both been traveling with passports, even domestically, for a long time.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
All of these changes because What happen on 9/11/2001

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Maybe there will be more room on planes next year:cool:

Cheers

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
While the article shows New Mexico as compliant, not all residents have the real id yet. Dh and I don't. The information available to us says we have until October 2020 to get a compliant driver's license. We are in no rush since our licenses don't expire until after that date. We've both been traveling with passports, even domestically, for a long time.

KS is the same. You can renew your DL without getting the real ID emblem on your license. Most don't have a clue what it means and very few know to bring their birth certificate, un-laminated Soc. Sec. card (I'm amazed at how many people laminate those despite saying on the card do not laminate), proof of residence (copy of utility bill), and copy of marriage lisence for married women (name on birth certificate doesn't match married name). My wife wasn't aware of the requirements and her DL isn't a real ID DL. No fear. She can take the required info in and the charge to change to a real ID DL is only $5. That's what we'll do as we allowed our passports to expire. Due to illness we've had no plans for out of country travel for several years and have no plans for the immeadiate future.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Maybe there will be more room on planes next year:cool:

Cheers

More like chaos at the airport as those people who didn't know show up, are denied access and kick up a fuss. Granted that will be before security rather than on the plane but, I'm planning on showing up early as I ALWAYS get behind the bozo who wants to fight with the check in agent, can't figure out the kiosk or has 1,000 lbs of luggage and fights about the over weight bag charge.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The states where residents will need identification other than driver’s licenses to fly on Jan. 22, 2018, are: Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Washington.

Five states – Alaska, California, Oklahoma, Oregon and Virginia – got federal extensions for residents to use their driver’s licenses for federal agencies through June 6.

Another dozen states have extensions to use driver’s licenses for federal agencies through Oct. 10. Those states are: Idaho, Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Rhode Island and Texas.

Even states with temporary extensions must adopt Real ID standards by Oct. 1, 2020, or their residents will need alternate identification at that point.

Jim

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
The states where residents will need identification other than driver’s licenses to fly on Jan. 22, 2018, are: Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Washington.

Five states – Alaska, California, Oklahoma, Oregon and Virginia – got federal extensions for residents to use their driver’s licenses for federal agencies through June 6.

Another dozen states have extensions to use driver’s licenses for federal agencies through Oct. 10. Those states are: Idaho, Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Rhode Island and Texas.

Even states with temporary extensions must adopt Real ID standards by Oct. 1, 2020, or their residents will need alternate identification at that point.

Jim
You don't mention New Mexico anywhere in there. I'll have to do more checking, but as I posted, the information available to us on our MVD website, says we have until October 2020 to convert and that is when a real id will be required for airlines and access to some federal sites (like the labs).

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, thanks for sharing this information.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't mention New Mexico anywhere in there.
New Mexico falls into that last sentence, "Even states with temporary extensions must adopt Real ID standards by Oct. 1, 2020, or their residents will need alternate identification at that point." My state also falls into that category. Our new driver's licenses do comply with the Real ID law but it's likely that some people will not have renewed their DLs before the extension expires. It may have been access to the Nat'l Labs that pushed our state 'leaders' to comply.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
KS is the same. You can renew your DL without getting the real ID emblem on your license. Most don't have a clue what it means and very few know to bring their birth certificate, un-laminated Soc. Sec. card (I'm amazed at how many people laminate those despite saying on the card do not laminate), proof of residence (copy of utility bill), and copy of marriage lisence for married women (name on birth certificate doesn't match married name). My wife wasn't aware of the requirements and her DL isn't a real ID DL. No fear. She can take the required info in and the charge to change to a real ID DL is only $5. That's what we'll do as we allowed our passports to expire. Due to illness we've had no plans for out of country travel for several years and have no plans for the immeadiate future.

We are in CA. So I wonder if bringing your passport to DMV would absolve you from dragging all/most of the other documents? My DL expires at the end of the year, and I think it is test time since I already have received one extension without having to show up. I watched both Cliff and my dad get a notice to renew last year and try to make an appointment immediately, only to have to stand in line at the crack of dawn because appointments were only available after expiration. I was going to be proactive and go in mid-Nov and figured by doing so sure as heck I'd find out I could have skipped the whole thing because they auto renewed me again. Now I figure if I go early I'll find I lack the proper documents for a real ID, or they aren't prepared to issue me one if I do have all the extra stuff with me.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We are in CA. So I wonder if bringing your passport to DMV would absolve you from dragging all/most of the other documents? My DL expires at the end of the year, and I think it is test time since I already have received one extension without having to show up. I watched both Cliff and my dad get a notice to renew last year and try to make an appointment immediately, only to have to stand in line at the crack of dawn because appointments were only available after expiration. I was going to be proactive and go in mid-Nov and figured by doing so sure as heck I'd find out I could have skipped the whole thing because they auto renewed me again. Now I figure if I go early I'll find I lack the proper documents for a real ID, or they aren't prepared to issue me one if I do have all the extra stuff with me.
I wouldn't think the passport would replace all of the documentation necessary. Refer to your DMV site to see what they require. And be sure you bring ALL of it with you. I know people in New Mexico who had to go in several times as they didn't have all of the proper documents.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are in CA. So I wonder if bringing your passport to DMV would absolve you from dragging all/most of the other documents?
Passport book or passport card are both acceptable as Real ID. I had to renew my DL and my passport last month. So I just renewed my passport AND added a passport card ($40). My state's DL is not Real ID compliant, so I just carry the passport card.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Passport book or passport card are both acceptable as REAL ID.
I thought what she was asking if is she brought her passport into the DMV would that take the place of all of the documentation required to obtain a real id.

However, since California still doesn't have the real id, maybe they are more lenient. According to the California DMV website you can use the passport, but you need additional documents as well.

Update. It looks like California is planning to provide real id in 2018. Here is what you need to bring to DMV:

How Do I Prepare to Apply for a REAL ID Card?
To apply for a REAL ID card, you must do the following:

• Provide proof of identity, such as your birth certificate or passport.
  • Show a California residency document.
  • Present proof of your Social Security number.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought what she was asking if is she brought her passport into the DMV would that take the place of all of the documentation required to obtain a real id.
Maybe so. She should check. Y'know, it's HARD to be the repository of all information on every law and situation that gets asked on TUG.

My wife occasionally gets calls at her law office from people who want telephone advice. She would try to set them up for an appointment only to have them say, "But I only want to ask a question." She once had a secretary/receptionist say to one, "Have you called the Reference desk at the library?"

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To the OP, thanks for sharing this information.
You're most welcome, Pedro. This thing is going to sneak up on a lot of people. Best for us TUGgers to be prepared.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Maybe so. She should check. Y'know, it's HARD to be the repository of all information on every law and situation that gets asked on TUG.

My wife occasionally gets calls at her law office from people who want telephone advice. She would try to set them up for an appointment only to have them say, "But I only want to ask a question." She once had a secretary/receptionist say to one, "Have you called the Reference desk at the library?"
That's why I suggested she check the DMV site for California.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
What happens if I fly to one of these states from a state that doesn't have these requirements? Do they not let me fly home? IMHO those legislating on our behalf (?) are legislating chaos!

George

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
What happens if I fly to one of these states from a state that doesn't have these requirements? Do they not let me fly home? IMHO those legislating on our behalf (?) are legislating chaos!

George
Not sure I understand what you mean. Can you be more specific, or give an example?

As I've said we've just started carrying our passports for all travel, just in case.

mpeter15

Reaction score

George

I believe it's the ID's in question not the originating airport. If you have the correct I'D, you shouldn't run into problems in any state/airport. Vice Versa, if you don't, you'll have problems at every state/airport once the deadline is reached

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I believe it's the ID's in question not the originating airport. If you have the correct I'D, you shouldn't run into problems in any state/airport. Vice Versa, if you don't, you'll have problems at every state/airport once the deadline is reached
That makes sense.

But the airlines/airports are going to have a lot to keep track of since it seems different states have different deadlines.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

George

That makes sense.
But the airlines/airports are going to have a lot to keep track of since it seems different states have different deadlines.
The Real ID Act is Federal law. There are no different requirements dependent on where you fly to/from, only based on where your ID is from. The deadlines/extensions were imposed and granted by the Federal government, not the states. Only Congress is/was legislating here.

So the TSA and airlines are well aware of the various dates. You only need to know what dates apply to your state.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The quick test. If your driver's license has a gold star on it, it's Real ID compliant. If it doesn't, use a passport.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For those living in states that are not compliant with Federal law (and have now had 12 years to get compliant), this is a pain. A pox on the houses of legislators in California, Illinois, New York, Pennsylvania, and the twenty other states that have sat on this and done nothing and will now force their citizens to carry their passports instead of having proper DL's that have Real ID. And kudos to the 26 states that have done the right thing by their citizens.