TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Paris Shoot out near Marriott Champs Elysee

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by cp73, Apr 21, 2017.

1. cp73

cp73 TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Just looked on a map of the location of the shooting in Paris on Champs Elysees. For those of you who have stayed at the Marriott Champs Elysees the shooting was on the end of the same block towards the Arc. In other words on the same block only a few shops down. We were there within the last two years. Also had this same issue in London from last month or so. Also at the same spot as I am sure many of you have also been. A weird feeling to know you were there. Next trip is Rome. Now not sure I want to go. Might just stay home for a while in USA. Any others feel the same way?

silentg likes this.
  2. silentg

silentg TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

I feel uneasy traveling to Europe, but it is so Beautiful. Paris is such a great place to go. We also loved England and especially Ireland. We are planning a trip in 2018 going with TUG on a cruise. This year we are staying in the USA just because we got very good trades thru TUG.
    Silentg

3. pedro47

pedro47 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Paris is an awesome city with very friendly people. Please do not let these thugs change your vacation plans.

silentg likes this.
  4. Ironwood

Ironwood TUG Member

We all want to think that, but we are staying away from trouble spots for the foreseeable future. I well remember a few years ago, sitting in an outdoor café in Montmartre when a Paris swat team swept in, blockaded the streets leading into the square and quickly searched all garbage bins and bushes... it was a false alarm and they were gone in 5 minutes. We quickly got up from our curbside table near some bins, and retreated into the restaurant, but on reflection I'm not sure that was the wisest response. It was unnerving! Beautiful city, but Paris is not on our travel horizon.

5. myoakley

myoakley TUG Member

I haven't read anything here on Tug about the indiscriminate shooting by cartel members last week at an outdoor market in Acapulco in which 2 people were killed. Is the violence in Acapulco changing plans? Are Tuggers still traveling there? I know that Holland America has cancelled cruise stops there. What a shame for the Mexican people trying to make a living from the tourist trade! As someone who has lived in Paris for 2 years in my student days and then again as a young wife and mother, my heart breaks for this beautiful city and for what has happened to France.

6. davidvel

davidvel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
    I'd go to Paris before I'd go to Acapulco.

klpca likes this.
  7. Chrisky

Chrisky TUG Member

Good morning. Our entire world IMHO is going crazy with bombings and shootings etc. everywhere. I know it Is a bit unnerving when we have booked a trip to somewhere and then a serious event happens like in Paris. But give your collective heads a shake! When we look at events in a logical manner we would never travel anywhere. What about the traffic fatalities that happen every year in the US and Canada. Does that mean we will never drive a vehicle? What about the many airplane crashes, again does that mean we will never fly anywhere?
    So people will stay at home, but what about the violence that happens in many US cities, and very recently? So people should not visit those states or cities?
    In our case, we will continue to live our lives as usual, and travel where we want.

Beaglemom3, silentg and MuranoJo like this.
  8. MuranoJo

MuranoJo TUG Member

Agree with Chrisky. If we allow these acts to control us (which is what they want), we'll soon be barricaded behind our doors.

9. pwrshift

pwrshift TUG Member

I admit to being a little more uneasy about Paris and London these days but I've been there a few times already...and all were wonderful. Rome is a different thing...in fact all ot Italy is one of most wonderfully historic areas to see. If you haven't been go to Rome. I've been to The Milan area, Venice, Florence, Rome and Amalfi and can't wait to go again and do some more exploring. I've never had a bad meal in Italy either.

Brian