• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pahio Kauai Beach Villas board election

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Aloha Jeff,

Welcome to TUG. Since my long term objective for KBV is to increase owners awareness and voting involvement in the governance of KBV, I welcome both your and Trish’s efforts to do so as well.

Given that TUG membership probably includes only a few dozen KBV owners, I see little point in debating your contention about who should get everyone’s vote. Even so, the situation you describe is the result of several years of board oversight and Wyndham management. Some might wonder how keeping the same non-Wyndham board members will result in a different outcome.

I did have a conversation with Trish many months ago. My recollection is that she was unfamiliar with TUG at the time. I am not aware that she has since logged in, but perhaps she is lurking. If she has not joined, please encourage her to do so.

Since you have logged in and expressed such energy, I ask you specifically to review post 18 above and respond to it. Its subject is not this specific election.

Mahalo,

Jack

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas, Samoset Resort (in ME), The Harborside Inn (Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, MA)
Hi Jack - If Wyndham is in control of the board, how did they get fired as the management company?

So, it's complicated. Wyndham was originally hired to manage the grounds, the buildings, the inside of the units, as well as handle the sales and rentals of the units by the original developer, David Walters. It was then PAHIO, one of three related resorts on Kauai.

When David Walters started PAHIO, the Kauai Beach Villas was a series of year-'round owned condos. Walters negotiated to buy most of them and turn them into weekly timeshares. There were those who didn't want to sell and remained owning the individual units year-round. The Association Of Apartment Owners, or AOAO, is the Board that consists of condo owners as well as individual timeshare owners.

The IOA (I think it stands for Independent Owners Association) is comprised of individual timeshare owners. Or that's how it was supposed to be.

Over a decade ago, the boards started to see the resort go downhill. It was somewhat subtle, but it wasn't going in the right direction. They were also seeing costs go up much faster while the resort wasn't getting maintained as well as it used to be maintained. Wyndham was also using their timeshare pitch on the resort, as they were being paid to be KBV property managers, to get owners to give up their deeds to them for nothing, along with a lot of cash, to become members of Club Wyndham. I was subjected to a pitch. My waterfront unit deed, plus $7000 would get me membership into Club Wyndham.

There was much discussion, after unsuccessfully trying to work with Wyndham to improve the quality of their work and get them to reduce costs, the Boards decided to look for a different management company. There was still 3 years remaining on the contract at that point. KBV decided to just let the contract expire, letting Wyndham continue for the next 3 years. In the interim, the IOA did some research and decided to hire Grand Pacific Resorts. GPX, as it's known, had taken over Makai Beach Club on the north shore a few years back after they had let Wyndham go. Makai Beach Club reports that the resort has shown tremendous improvement over the last 3 years since GPX took over.

GPX has only been involved managing the responsibilities of the IOA since later last year, which is to maintain the inside of the units, and be responsible for sales and rentals of the timeshare units.

Meanwhile, through the lack of individual deeded owners voting (only 600 of 5500 voted the last election) and Wyndham accumulating deeds, Wyndham was able to use employees and shareholders to cast votes with their deeded power (Wyndham currently owns about 1100 deeds). If even 1/3rd of the individual owners had bothered to vote, we wouldn't be talking about this. But within the last year or so, Wyndham was able to successfully wrestle control of the AOAO Board of Directors, and THAT Wyndham dominated board voted to keep Wyndham Management in charge of managing the AOAO responsibilities (the grounds, the buildings).

The IOA had already previously voted to terminate the relationship with Wyndham and legally contracted with GPX. But last year, Wyndham had enough votes to overcome weak voting on the part of individual owners and get the 60% majority on the IOA board. Again, if enough individual owners wake up, get interested and vote accordingly, they'll not only keep Wyndham at bay, but can reverse the tide. Again, while Wyndham owning 21% of the deeds currently sounds like a lot, it means that individual owners still own 79%. But it's easy for Wyndham to be able to arrange to have those voting with their deeds to vote in one big block.

We need to do some work to get the individual owners to vote. That's what I'm trying to do.

I hope this helps.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
. . . We need to do some work to get the individual owners to vote. That's what I'm trying to do.

I hope this helps.

Aloha Jeff,

Your post #27 addressed a question posed by Denise. Since it did not address my post #18 as I requested in post #26 I ask again that you do so. Here's a direct link:
No other tugger has responded specifically to post #18, but you are the first in this thread other than me to be actively campaigning for higher owner voting rates.

A non-trivial footnote regarding the 79% individual owners you cite. An unknown but sometimes reported to be approximately 20% of all KBV owners have converted their ownership to the Wyndham club; that is separate from the 19% or 21% that Wyndham owns outright. I have no information about how the KBV owners who converted to Wyndham feel about Wyndham losing the management contract. Can you offer any insight about that segment of KBV owners?

Mahalo,

Jack

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas, Samoset Resort (in ME), The Harborside Inn (Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, MA)
Aloha,

It turns out that our new KBV IOA president, Linda Kolstad, and I were both scheduled to be in Princeville on the same February day. Linda’s email signature block includes: Director, Association Governance—Hawaii, Wyndham Vacation Ownership. We met for over an hour one late afternoon on our lanai at the Shearwater. The meeting was pleasant. I have no reason to expect Wyndham’s vote, but I guess it is a possibility.

Given Wyndham’s ownership percentage, Wyndham is effectively the sole decider for the foreseeable future. Even so, I ask all tuggers to vote for me assuming my name appears on the ballot or consider writing me in if neither I nor any other tugger appears on the ballot.

Regardless of who or which interests dominate the IOA board, it is not clear to me why any set of incumbent board members would want to support increasingly competitive elections which might result from increasing owner ballot response.

Consequently, while it would be easier to grow a virtual KBV owner community with the sponsorship of a board member, I believe that sustainable success is more likely even if it takes longer if we develop and implement a plan that works better with but does not require direct involvement of board member(s).

I recognize that there are many challenges in pursuing such an endeavor. Rather than worry the details of how to make it happen, I believe a better starting point is to discuss specifically what desirable outcomes would come with success. I offer the following list as a starting point for discussion in this thread. The numeric tags in front of each statement is to facilitate reference; e.g., rather than repeat the whole sentence, a commenter can just refer to item (entity) number nn. The numeric tags are not intended to convey logical or sequence relationship.

Once we converge on a list of desirable outcomes, the next step would be to identify obstacles to making them happen, essentially valid statements about why each desirable outcome does not already exist. Please feel free to suggest additions, removals or edits to the following list.

102 More owners log into the community website upon receiving their annual ballot than the prior year.

104 Anyone who wants to be an IOA board candidate (regardless whether or not selected by nominating committee) is able to post his/her campaign statements without editing by the nominating committee or its delegate.

106 Owners are able to respond to individual candidate statements.

108 Candidates are able to respond to owner feedback.

112 It takes negligible resort staff time to fulfil their role(s) on the owners community web site.

114 The owner community website existence is secure regardless of changes in the IOA board’s attitude toward it.

116 The owner community website is independent of the company managing the resort.

I have some ideas for a low effort, low cost approach to achieve these outcomes. It is possible that the ‘solution’ would be generic with potentially applicability to any resort; all tuggers are invited to participate in this thread (no need to own at KBV). In the months ahead, I will develop an initial draft of what such a plan might look like. I expect that it would be in the form of a pdf or word document. Consequently, I ask that tuggers interested in participating in reviewing and commenting on such a plan provide their email address. Feel free to send a pm or email me at jackgoodstein @ hotmail . com with KBV in the subject line to avoid the spam folder.

Jack Goodstein

Sorry, Jack. I think I need new glasses. I was associating #18 with the one below it.

The only thing I can is that I have been encouraged to start a Yahoo User's Group, requiring permission and a password in order to see what's in it. I think there needs to be a forum where KBV owners, real individual owners, can talk about issues as well as possibly anything else related to KBV. I don't want trollers there, so a site where only invitees can see and contribute might be warranted.

Jeff

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
. . . I believe it is possible to create an effective (high enrollment) KBV community forum without being on the board provided that there are enough owners who stay at KBV at different times who share that particular goal. I’d prefer to see it happen as a board sponsored/embraced occurrence. That is both faster and mo betta than (to quote a former manager of mine) feeding the horse from the wrong end. I’ve been a leader in succeeding in the latter before; it takes several years:

http://www.powershow.com/view/23f59...uitos_Perspective_powerpoint_ppt_presentation
Jack

Sorry, Jack. I think I need new glasses. I was associating #18 with the one below it.

The only thing I can is that I have been encouraged to start a Yahoo User's Group, requiring permission and a password in order to see what's in it. I think there needs to be a forum where KBV owners, real individual owners, can talk about issues as well as possibly anything else related to KBV. I don't want trollers there, so a site where only invitees can see and contribute might be warranted.

Jeff

Aloha Jeff,

One of the many things we (the amorphous Boeing community of practice that was the subject of the link) learned was that success required neither central planning nor leadership hierarchy nor budget nor sponsor/charter. Different folks would take initiative and start things almost the moment company IT infrastructure incorporated new capabilities. Some things worked better than others. Some things did not work.

I have no reason to object to the principle of anyone starting a Yahoo group such as you mentioned. There is at least one key issue to consider before starting it. Out of many possibilities, let me suggest two opposites for comparison.

Option 1: Rely primarily on email list(s) acquired from KBV in accordance with by-laws (5.04 et al) to promote it

Option 2: Limit promotion means in order to not be bound by the by-laws

If someone not explicitly authorized by the BoD establishes a Yahoo group using a list acquired in compliance with 5.04 to attract members, they may be committing themselves to regularly comparing the group membership with an updated/current email list in order to remove folks who have shed their ownership. If the BoD authorizes such a group and assigns the list maintenance task to the KBV manager, then the group membership can be updated as transfer documents are processed. Consequently, I suggest that Option 1 is best left for BoD authorized groups perhaps including committees authorized per by-laws 3.14.

Option 2 might appear more challenging to start but I have some ideas that I have not yet written down (refer back to post #18). TUG already exists and can be used to address some aspects of Option 2. If done with a systems / long term view, many desirable outcomes such as listed in post #18 might be achievable using web infrastructure that is free to the consumer. An excel sensitivity model I created based on too many assumptions to defend in this thread suggest that success sufficient to be a major influence on board elections would take several years.

So far, no one has provided feedback about the proposed desirable effects listed in post 18. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo,

Jack

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aloha Jeff,

Your post #27 addressed a question posed by Denise. Since it did not address my post #18 as I requested in post #26 I ask again that you do so. Here's a direct link:
No other tugger has responded specifically to post #18, but you are the first in this thread other than me to be actively campaigning for higher owner voting rates.

A non-trivial footnote regarding the 79% individual owners you cite. An unknown but sometimes reported to be approximately 20% of all KBV owners have converted their ownership to the Wyndham club; that is separate from the 19% or 21% that Wyndham owns outright. I have no information about how the KBV owners who converted to Wyndham feel about Wyndham losing the management contract. Can you offer any insight about that segment of KBV owners?

Mahalo,

Jack

Im not sure that the way I feel about this will give you any insight but for what it's worth....

I own several weeks converted to Wyndham points

Painting Wyndham as the bad guy dosent work with me. At one time I was one of the biggest Wyndham points owners and Wyndham has been nothing but good to me. My experience at Wyndham managed resorts has been pretty good. I bought Wyndham points to make reservations at Wyndham resorts. I have no intention of ever visiting Hawaii so I dont much care whether one management company or another manages the resorts there. As long as they are managed to Wyndhams standards, I'm happy

As for my vote I choose to abstain

FYI
I ran for the board at another resort where some of the condos are part of the club Wyndham points system. Wyndham has enough votes to put whom ever they wanted on the board and that's what they did

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Im not sure that the way I feel about this will give you any insight but for what it's worth....

I own several weeks converted to Wyndham points

Painting Wyndham as the bad guy dosent work with me. At one time I was one of the biggest Wyndham points owners and Wyndham has been nothing but good to me. My experience at Wyndham managed resorts has been pretty good. I bought Wyndham points to make reservations at Wyndham resorts. I have no intention of ever visiting Hawaii so I dont much care whether one management company or another manages the resorts there. As long as they are managed to Wyndhams standards, I'm happy

As for my vote I choose to abstain

FYI
I ran for the board at another resort where some of the condos are part of the club Wyndham points system. Wyndham has enough votes to put whom ever they wanted on the board and that's what they did

You're conflating different things. We're talking about the quality of the managing of the KBV. They have not done a good job. And that's what they were hired to do. That you have had a good experience with their Club Wyndham is not relevant, other than they used their time when the KBV owners were paying them to maintain the resort that they used that time to try to seize power over the resort.

They don't own the resort. But they can try to gain enough power to make more decisions to help themselves rather than help actual deeded owners. They'd be happy to get your deeds. It's in their corporate interests.

And hey, I have stayed at a Wyndham corporate owned resort and it was fine.

But their management company seems to create mediocre results at best. Makai Beach Club is a perfect example. The others there are FAR happier in the 3 years that GPX took over from Wyndham as the management company. They're thrilled now.

I'd prefer to not have the KBV further slip down into mediocrity. I have been hearing it right and left since I started reaching out to owners.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
In the history of TUG, has there every been a grass-roots group that has ever been able to overcome the developer voting block at a resort with an active sales presence?

Like Ron mentions, each group I have seen follows the same playbook - paint the developer in the worst possible light, imply they ruining the resort, and ask for votes. But I have yet to see that playbook work. I jokingly call this the Scooby-Doo playbook, as most of those episodes end up with the villain being unmasked as the evil developer.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In the history of TUG, has there every been a grass-roots group that has ever been able to overcome the developer voting block at a resort with an active sales presence?

Like Ron mentions, each group I have seen follows the same playbook - paint the developer in the worst possible light, imply they ruining the resort, and ask for votes. But I have yet to see that playbook work. I jokingly call this the Scooby-Doo playbook, as most of those episodes end up with the villain being unmasked as the evil developer.

You're talking like a climate warming denier. I have actually come up with evidence and support for my statements. You just want to belittle and troll.

I don't care who manages the resort. I really don't. As long as they do a great job. I have been seeing many things that Wyndham has done at KBV which are counter to what would be in the better interests of me as well as most owners. The resort has gone from a Gold Crown Resort to barely a Silver Crown. I have experienced other resorts that were better run. I have seen maintenance fees going to with the quality going down. I have talked with Board members who have told me that these were some of the reasons they elected not to renew Wyndham's contract. You can belittle and condescend all you want. It just makes me question your motives.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
In the interest of polite discourse - because there is no need to engage in name calling just because I may disagree - what exactly do you point to support your position?

Jack mentions that defaulting owners are primary challenge facing the resort. You seemingly find a decrease in quality. What changes are forthcoming under GPR's management that will reverse the decrease in quality that you find concerning? At what cost? As a fellow owner, I would be interested to hear about them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In the interest of polite discourse - because there is no need to engage in name calling just because I may disagree - what exactly do you point to support your position?

Jack mentions that defaulting owners are primary challenge facing the resort. You seemingly find a decrease in quality. What changes are forthcoming under GPR's management that will reverse the decrease in quality that you find concerning? At what cost? As a fellow owner, I would be interested to hear about them.

I'm actually encouraged from what I'm hearing from those who have been to the resort recently since Grand Pacific Resorts took over. And I'm chagrined to read about how much the Makai Beach Resort has come up since GPX took over from Wyndham. So that's the good part. But Wyndham, rather than relinquishing the power they obtained since they accumulated some deeds when they were managing the resort, has instead dug their heels in. It's clear that they're more interested in their own corporate interests than the interests of the owners of the resort, as I see it.

Jeff

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, as someone who stayed at the resort in Feb, I was very disappointed by how disorganized GPR was. And I saw no GPR initiated improvements at the resort since my last visit.

But it really is the lack of recognition of how dependent the resort is on Wyndham that gives me cause for concern. Jack has cited defaulting owners as the current challenge. Taking that at face value, what BoD choses a course of action that risks alienating the organization that is paying dues on 1/5 of the weeks? That seems counter-intuitive if the long-term viability of the resort is in question.

The second issue that gives me cause for concern is the sudden wealth of communication from the BoD members whose positions are at risk. For the years I have owned there, there has been very little communication from the BoD geared to generate owner engagement. If there were concerns about the resort, where was the owner communication on those challenges? Or why wasn't the owner communication site that Jack has suggested implemented during that timeframe? Or using TUG as a communication channel? Actions that were clearly within the authority of the BoD to execute - regardless of the manager.

But now that their positions are threatened, they now feel the need to reach out and ask for my vote. The timing causes me to question both their judgement and their agenda.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're conflating different things. We're talking about the quality of the managing of the KBV. They have not done a good job. And that's what they were hired to do. That you have had a good experience with their Club Wyndham is not relevant, other than they used their time when the KBV owners were paying them to maintain the resort that they used that time to try to seize power over the resort.

They don't own the resort. But they can try to gain enough power to make more decisions to help themselves rather than help actual deeded owners. They'd be happy to get your deeds. It's in their corporate interests.

And hey, I have stayed at a Wyndham corporate owned resort and it was fine.

But their management company seems to create mediocre results at best. Makai Beach Club is a perfect example. The others there are FAR happier in the 3 years that GPX took over from Wyndham as the management company. They're thrilled now.

I'd prefer to not have the KBV further slip down into mediocrity. I have been hearing it right and left since I started reaching out to owners.

Somebody asked for insight regarding the owners of weeks converted to points
I am one and I offered my perspective

You say my experience at Wyndham managed resorts is not relevant. When it comes to my 3 votes, i gotta wonder what's more relevant? Your experience? I don't think so

You go ahead and do what you want. I was only suggesting that if you want to convince me, painting Wyndham as the bad guy won't work

And asking for my input, but then rejecting it because it's "not relevant" won't work either

And asking for my vote, but then not responding to my email; that certainly won't work

Last edited:

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
This is the most difficult election I've ever voted in anywhere. I didn't get a ballot in the mail. It took two emails, three phone calls, and a lot of time on hold to get a working password to vote online.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I am looking at my ballot, and it seems to say that you must designate a specific person who will be there in person to vote as your proxy - is that correct? How many average owners (not on TUG) will know someone to designate???

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got another email about this election This guy made one too many factual errors in the letter.. There are a lot of good reasons to get rid of Wyndham, so you dont have to make stuff up
Concerned Owners at Kauai Beach Villas

NEWSLETTER
May 15, 2017

Aloha Again To My Fellow Owners at Kauai Beach Villas:

I apologize if this email may seem long to some, particularly if you're reading this on a smartphone. I do recommend that you find a laptop or desktop computer on which you can read it. This is too important for a short blast.

I promised you in another email that I would expand on what brings me to getting involved in this way, why I think this particular vote is SO critical, and what damage I foresee Wyndham could do to our interests as owners. This will follow a bit later on in this newsletter.

But first, I want to implore you, once again, to make sure to vote. I have attached a sample ballot, which might make it easier for you to fill out your own. On the sample ballot, I have written in my name, but you could write in ANYONE to be your Proxyholder who will be there, in person, to vote on June 1st. If you are planning to be there yourself, you can still vote via the Proxy ballot and attend. If you are planning on attending yourself, there is a checkbox where you can indicate that you'll be there. Personally, I will be there in person to vote and to act as your Proxyholder.

And keep in mind, I strongly ask that you keep your votes to Trish Harrington and Karen Blackford. Why? We NEED to keep them on the board. If we water down the voting (by voting for a many candidates), we risk having Wyndham use their voting to get Trish and Karen off the board, and they're the ONLY traditional owners on the board, and therefore the only ones representing our interests.

In case you didn't know, each board, the AOAO and IOA, stagger the voting for their board members. They do this to make sure there is continuity from year to year. Imagine a year having 5 new members and no one really knowing what they're doing. So this year, we're voting for 3 board members. We want to absolutely make sure that Trish and Karen stay on. Next year, there will be a vote for the other 2 board positions. We'll work on (collectively) getting 1 or more additional traditional owners on the board so that we'll have a majority.

Again, if you wish to cast your votes yourself, there are the ways to do so. Regardless of what method you choose to cast your vote, the board needs to receive your vote byMay 25th at 4pm, PDT!!

• Vote by Mail – by now, you should have received a ballot in the mail (If you haven't, please call GPVS at 888-477-6967 to request another one. At this point, unless you can vote by the end of the week, I don't recommend this method.The ballot is on a pre-paid, pre-addressed postcard:
Pahio at Kauai Beach Villas Interval Ownership Association

c/o Grand Pacific Resorts Management

P.O.Box 4403

Carlsbad, CA 92018 - 9986

Make sure you type the above on the address line, not the search line. Enter your personalized password which you were provided. Follow the prompts and cast your vote. It’s that simple.

If you have any trouble with your password, call GPVS @ (888) 477-6967

You may choose me, Jeff Bellin, as your Proxyholder to vote for you (You need to choose a Proxyholder if you will not be attending.). I will be traveling to the resort that week from Salem, Massachusetts to ensure our voting block is represented for theJune 1st vote. I will cast the votes for whom you choose if you fill in the candidate selection at the lower right of the ballot. If you do NOT fill out that section, I will use your voting power to vote for the candidates I think best represent the traditional deeded owners.

To make me your Proxyholder, go to the upper left of your ballot, check the 4th boxdown and write my name, Jeff Bellin, into the blank. You must submit your ballot by May 25th at 4pm, PDT. It's imperative that you either vote for the above candidates directly, or have me vote on your behalf via Proxy. (Please, do not check any of the first 3 Proxy boxes). Remember, 3 total votes per unit week owned on a yearly basis, 1.5 votes per unit week owned on an every other year. Again, see the sample ballot that follows:

HDZoOugT3-A6Yuh88JTdnKMMCf753EURtW2Y51-JtOLDYaAqbQPnZOChjsYUqGGG0van7l2oxCpBSgScM5Do61jf0Lm7FiGj1M1ML07NxuGKWtuV0NXFSaMVy6UsBiIS9TXW9XTBVlKc0gBi=s0-d-e1-ft

Again, the future of our resort rests in the hands of its traditional deeded owners. We need your vote, if we owners are going to control the board, and make the decisions that affect us. We need to keep Trish Harrington and Karen Blackford on the board, to start with.

We need YOUR VOTE to help keep Wyndham from replacing the only 2 traditional owners we still have on the board, Trish Harrington and Karen Blackford. Please vote today!

How Did the Kauai Beach Villas Get To Be In This Situation And Why ME??

So, how did I get caught up in this, and why is this so important now to traditional owners, owners who want to see the value of owning timeshares at the Kauai Beach Villas be as great as possible? This all started for me back in 2004 when returning for the first time since we had bought in 2001. Of course, it's Kauai and we loved the oceanfront view from our unit, the oceanfront unit guaranteed as we had paid the premium to get us a deed to waterfront buildings.

We went through the owners update presentation. During our presentation, we were offered the opportunity to give Wyndham our oceanfront unit deed, plus $7000, to become a member of Club Wyndham. I immediately thought this odd for a number of reasons:

1. The company PAHIO had hired to maintain the resort, Wyndham Management, was using their paid time to market their own vacation product. I thought and still think it's unethical. If you hire my restaurant consulting company to help with your restaurant, my company people shouldn't use that time to sway employees or customers away from your business.

2. If I gave them my deed, I would then no longer have the guarantee that I would be able come back to the Kauai Beach Villas, much less guarantee to be able to use the oceanfront buildings. At the time, I imagined that they probably only had a handful of inventory using the method of getting people into Club Wyndham, so at the time, I was thinking I'd be competing with Club Wyndham members all over the U.S. trying to stay at KBV in just a few actual units of inventory.

3. I'm supposed to give them my deed and $7000 to get into their club?!? I mean, what gall, I thought. I just paid 10s of thousands of dollars a few years ago to own a deed, a piece of KBV. Now they wanted me to give them the deed and several more thousands of dollars? And I would have no guarantee of getting back into KBV? With a vacation club, I own nothing, and the money I would be putting into it (the many thousands of dollars I paid for my part ownership, as well as the $7000) guaranteed me nothing!

I thought to myself during the presentation that something was very wrong. I looked up the IOA Board contact information and was able to get in contact with then Vice-President Trish Harrington. I told her what I had encountered. If I recall correctly, she had not been aware at that time that Wyndham was trying to secure deeds from owners. She did say that upkeep of the place was not what the board had hoped, but she liked the then current manager that was in place.

But as years went on, both the AOAO and IOA were getting less happy with the upkeep of the place and the rising maintenance fees .

Meanwhile, I did an exchange one year into the Coronado Beach Resort in Coronado, San Diego. It was the most upscale resort I had ever stayed in at the time within the U.S., and I was astounded as to the level of upkeep, as well as customer service I encountered. The staff was not only solicitous, but bent over backwards to make sure I was happy. For example, one of the benefits of the resort is free bicycle rentals which included helmets. When I informed them that none of the helmets fit my head properly (I'm a bike advocate in my hometown, so I know about the importance of proper bicycle fit), the manager on duty took me across the street to a bike shop, with cash in her hand, and rented me a helmet from the shop ($20!). A small thing, but a big statement. Any time there might be an issue, they were right on it, and with enthusiasm. It was a different experience, for sure, than what I had experienced at KBV in terms of customer service.

I talked with the general manager of the resort, who, it turned out, was a VP with Grand Pacific Resorts corporate. He he had taken over the management of the resort, himself, when it was having some issues. I told him how impressed I was with the experience and it was quite different than what I was used to at KBV. For example, you know that sterile experience of checking in at KBV at the stand-alone building? Wyndham never seemed to be inspired to alter that experience. I took a road trip up to see a couple of Grand Pacific developed resorts in Carlsbad and was bowled over by the quality.

Keeping in touch with Trish Harrington, I learned that the IOA and AOAO were becoming less and less enamored with Wyndham in the overall upkeep of the resort, including the insides of the timeshares, the grounds, and the outsides of the buildings. The resort had gone down from a Gold Crown Resort designation in the RCI system to a Silver Crown Resort, and just barely making that. Wyndham wasn't replacing tableware and glasses with equivalent quality, and they were not maintaining the numbers of stemware and settings in each unit. Owners would show up with incomplete kitchens. Furniture was being replaced with lower quality items.

And yet maintenance fees were going up – a lot! My maintenance fee started at $679 in 2002, and now it's about $1400. Why have maintenance fees gone so high when the resort's maintenance has been so meh, so mediocre? Here's why:

As complete and total hired manager of the PAHIO Kauai Beach Villas in the past, Wyndham was responsible for the upkeep of the grounds, the buildings, and the upkeep of the insides of the timeshares. They were also responsible for sales and rentals, generating income for us. What pays for the upkeep of the resort? The maintenance fees, right? Yes, but not only the maintenance fees, but rentals of unused units are also additional income which go toward the upkeep of the resort. Any deeds whose owners have essentially abandoned (and therefore not paying their maintenance fees), and unit weeks that aren't being used, Wyndham was supposed to work hard to find renters for those unused units. That rental money is supposed to help offset the costs for those owners who are paying their maintenance fees. That was an important part of their job.

But Wyndham wasn't working hard to fill the empty rooms with renters and generate rental income, even though that was part of the job description as resort manager. Why is this? Because their modus operandi, their working model, is to get owners to be apathetic. Notice how you didn't receive much in the way of communications from them over the years? That's intentional. They hope that you lose interest. Then, eventually, they might call you up and offer to take your deed from you for nothing. The same deed you paid 10s of thousands of dollars for, Wyndham takes that deed and turns around and sells it for retail. They get the money, and they do nothing for you. That's the opposite of what they were being paid to do.

Think about this – do they make more money getting 10% of the maintenance fees, or getting you to give them your deed for nothing and turning around and selling it as aWyndham Kauai Beach Villas deed for $15,000 (and then continue to get the maintenance fees as manager of the property)? And those pitches to have you give up your deed to them plus thousands of dollars to get you into Club Wyndham? They get your deed for nothing, they turn around and sell it for a profit and they get thousands of dollars from you for Club Wyndham membership. It's quite a racket.

So Wyndham has not been very diligent about making rental income for you, as owners. To give you some idea of how little they put into making rental income (and these are numbers you can get for yourself as part of the financial numbers available to you as owners), prior to 2015, there was about 2.4 million dollars in bad debt (owners not paying or units not being used), most of that uncollectable (owners just gone deadbeat). In 2015, about $615,000 was designated as bad debt. Other than raising maintenance fees on those who do pay, the only way to put a dent into that is rental income.

In all of 2015, Wyndham raised about $165,000 in rental income, quite clearly not enough to erase the $615,000 in debt for that year. In contrast, from January 2017 – April 2017 (4 months), Grand Pacific Resorts has made over $300,000 (!) in rental income for KBV. That doesn't go into GPRM's coffers. That goes to us owners to offset maintenance fees. That's double what Wyndham did in all of 2015, and we're only a quarter way through the year! By the end of the year, we could easily be looking at $700,000 or more in rental income. And that's money that goes to upkeep the resort so that YOU don't have to pay more. Not only that, but with the rental income now abovethe budget forecast, the IOA and GPRM can start to think about making improvements to the resort. We need to get the AOAO to hire GPRM to manage their part of the resort (grounds and exteriors of the buildings) to help improve that end of things.

Ultimately, the more money GPRM makes for us, the more maintenance fees can be kept in line, and much greater improvements can be made to the resort. The Kauai Beach Villas is a unique and intimate resort on Kauai. As you probably know, there is NO resort on Kauai which is so close to the water. The oceanfront buildings are 10s of yards from the beach and water line. There's no other resort on the island that can boast this. If this resort returned to being top-notch, luxurious, family-friendly, with entertainment (like a real resort experience should be), this would be easily worth the current maintenance fee, in my opinion.

Those coming here, whether for the first time or returning, would have a wonderful experience, and want to return again. They may be inspired to buy their first week, or buy another one. And guess what inventory they'll have to buy from? Those units that you put up for sale. All of the other resorts at which I own have a resale program. At one resort, the resort keeps 25% of the sale price and the owner gets 75%. The money the resort gets goes back to the resort to defray expenses, keeping the resort sparkling and the maintenance fees down.

We'd all love to have a way to sell our units when we no longer need them at the resort, right? That's supposed to be the job of the resort management company. They're supposed to work for us. Well, that can't really be done if there is no physical sales space on the premises. Wyndham, however, is using the clubhouse to sell timeshares at their property in Princeville. And every guest (that includes you) has to go through Wyndham's salesperson in the clubhouse in order to get their parking pass and free WiFi code. Can we change this procedure? I don't know.

Meanwhile, with those deeds that Wyndham got for free from owners who didn't care anymore, Wyndham was supposed to be assuming the payment of those associated maintenance fees. But they were slow in transferring ownership to themselves. It was no skin off their back. The owners who had given up were not paying, and IOA board was only seeing bad debt as a larger number.

By Wyndham delaying the actual transfer of the deeds to their own name by as many as 2 years, Wyndham could save 2 years of paying maintenance fees on each unit. They didn't care. They didn't care that it hurt traditional owners. They didn't care that the lack of money coming in meant raising maintenance fees on those owners whowere paying. They made more money on eventually selling the units.

The IOA, acting in good faith, and with several years remaining on Wyndham's contract with the resort, tried to work with Wyndham to improve their quality. As years went by, the board wasn't seeing results.

IOA succeeded in voting to hire GPRM and have them come aboard when Wyndham's contract expired. Wyndham's response to this has been to try to wrest control of the IOA and eventually get back management of the entire resort. If we don't stem the tide of Wyndham throwing owners off the board, Wyndham will be able to get rid of Grand Pacific in a few years, and you can forget about us having any say in what goes on.

As I have mentioned, a similar situation occurred at the Makai Club Resort in Princeville (a resort Wyndham still arrogantly calls the “Wyndham Makai Club”), when, after running it down and seeing Wyndham turn around and sell deeds, making a profit for themselves, the Makai Club Resort board fired Wyndham and elected to bring in Grand Pacific Resorts to manage it. In the 3 years since GPRM has managed it, the resort's quality has gone way up, to the point that owners call it “sparkling”. Wyndham, however, is still trying to fight it. As they successfully were able to get a share of the deeds, just as they have done at KBV, they're fighting to wrestle control of the board so they can get back management of the resort. Wyndham has been calling KBV the Wyndham Kauai Beach Villas when it had been the PAHIO Kauai Beach Villas. It'd be like if you hired me to clean and maintain your house and I put “The Bellins” on your mailbox.

So, is it getting any clearer that Wyndham needs to be shown the door, or at the very least, be kept at bay?

Theoretically, I don't care which company runs the resort as long as it's a great experience and maintenance fees are kept down. The better the KBV resort experience and the more reasonable and affordable the maintenance fees, the more valuable it is not only to us as owners, but to anyone who might want to purchase a deed in the future (and that means YOUR'S, if you need or want to sell!). Wyndham has failed on all counts. This is why it is SO critical that you vote, and the voting deadline to get your vote in GPVS's hands is May 25th by 4pm, PDT. Please, do yourself and every other owner a favor – VOTE and do it today!! And give your votes ONLY to Trish Harrington and Karen Blackford. Do not dilute your votes.

Again, if you need to get another copy of the ballot package, or need to get your personal info so you can vote, contact Grand Pacific Vacation Services at 888-477-6967. I'll be around for a few days if you want to ask me anything related to this, but I'm not a voting administrator. I'm not a IOA board member. I don't work for GPRM.I'm like you, an owner. And I'm an owner interested in making KBV a great, worthwhile, and affordable resort jewel on Kaua'i. If Wyndham is allowed to impose their own will, you'll be powerless, they're not going to take your needs into account, maintenance fees will continue to go up rapidly, and your deed will have less worth.

We need to reverse that trend. If we don't and Wyndham takes over the board completely, that will be the end of our ability to influence decisions regarding the resort. We want a resort that sparkles, that is in demand (so that your deed becomes more valuable in case you want to sell it), with maintenance fees that are reasonable and make sense.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi -

I wrote that letter. To which facts are you referring?

Is it that Wyndham was asking for deeds plus money to be handed over to get into a Club Wyndham membership? That was the case with me, and I can tell you a number of others.

But here's the real crux of the issue. Assuming you're not a troll and a real, individual owner (regardless of whether you now hold a deed through Club Wyndham or you are an individual owner from the PAHIO days), do you want the boards to be controlled by individual owners, with individual owners making decisions on how the Kauai Beach Villas should be run, or do you want Wyndham taking over and running the place, making decisions for you, taking decisions out of your hands completely?

The Interval Owners Association, the timeshare board, currently has 3 Wyndham members on the board to 2 individual owners. Voting is split over 2 years, so 3 are being voted on this year, and 2 next year. For those who would prefer to have individual owners be the Directors to shape decisions on how the resort should be run, you should be voting for Karen Blackford and Trish Harrington. Voting for more than those 2 will water down your votes. NEXT year, the other 2 positions on the board will be voted for. At that point, we'll want to take 1 or both of those spots so that we, the individual owners, can retain control and make decisions regarding the resort's well-being. If Wyndham wins this year and next, they'll be in position to end the contract with Grand Pacific Resort Management and vote themselves back in as the management of the resort. If that happens, you can forget about the idea of you or me being able to get on the board and help shape the future of the resort. It will become just a Wyndham corporate resort. That is troubling for me.

So do you want the board of directors comprised of Wyndham corporate making the decisions, or do you want individual owners who will make decisions that benefit the interests of the individual owners? I can tell you that if you look at the books, and you're entitled to as owners, you can see how Wyndham made a mess of things and caused the maintenance fees to rise up rapidly. You'll want to look at rental income and see what Wyndham has generated over the years, then look at the rental income that GPRM has generated since they took over. You'll see a HUGE difference. And it's rental income as well as getting owners to pay their maintenance fees, or selling deadbeat deeds to those that will, that keeps the maintenance fees down. You'll see how little of that, in comparison, has happened over the last many years prior to GPRM being hired.

I'm just an individual Kauai Beach Villa unit owner, owning since 2001, and want to see to it that individual owners are best served.

Jeff Bellin

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Please clarify - I can vote for the candidates of my choice, but I have to designate a proxy who will be AT the meeting.

If I designate the board as my proxy, (2nd and 3rd options) then they will have control of my votes and can ignore my selections, and vote however they want - correct?

And even if I choose Jeff (who is probably a perfectly dependable and honest person) I have no way of knowing if he will execute my choices - correct?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Please clarify - I can vote for the candidates of my choice, but I have to designate a proxy who will be AT the meeting.

If I designate the board as my proxy, (2nd and 3rd options) then they will have control of my votes and can ignore my selections, and vote however they want - correct?

And even if I choose Jeff (who is probably a perfectly dependable and honest person) I have no way of knowing if he will execute my choices - correct?

You should designate a Proxyholder whom 1) you know is going to be there in person, and 2) you trust, as best as you can, to carry out your votes in your interests, either to vote for the specific candidates you designate, or to choose candidates for you. If you choose the 2nd or 3rd options, you'll need to trust the Wyndham dominated board to vote honorably. If you have chosen candidates, they're supposed to vote as you selected, but....

I'd like to see them re-write that Proxy part of the ballot. I think it's sort of confusing.

Honestly, I have never been there for a vote before (You can partly tell how seriously I am taking this and concerned I am that I am flying from Boston to Lihue just for this vote.). I have always voted, but it was always from afar with a Proxy ballot.

If you want to take my advice, check the 4th box and either write my name, Jeff Bellin, or write-in Trish Harrington's or Karen Blackford's name. You can figure they won't screw around with your vote, right? I know Trish personally, as since 2005, when I encountered the questionable Wyndham sales presentation at the resort, I called her up (from the readily available contact info at the time) to tell her about my experience. Since then, I have been researching what has been going on there, writing about it occasionally in the periodical TimeSharing Today. While there may be a few details that I may not have exactly right, I have been seeing patterns around the industry, not only with Wyndham but with Diamond. There are probably others. I have seen where initiatives such as what I have taken on have worked. Others have been more of a struggle. I just think that this particular vote is coming at a critical time, and I think we, as owners, if we band together, we can keep control of the resort, and have it be what WE want it to be. I like knowing that I can call up a Director and that person is in the same or similar boat as I am, interested in the same things because they are just another individual owner.

Jeff

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't remember the ballot being this way before, with a designated proxy - weird.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't remember the ballot being this way before, with a designated proxy - weird.

Y'know, I agree with you. I'm not sure why it was written that way. Even my wife, who is a lawyer, looked at it and thought that it wasn't all that well written. I'll mention it when I get there, perhaps it can be changed it for next time.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is it even legal to require a proxy? - With my other resorts, we just votes for a candidate.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is it even legal to require a proxy? - With my other resorts, we just votes for a candidate.

You got me. I don't know. I have personally received a few who are similarly confused. I'd like it to be fixed for next time. Meanwhile, I'm off to bed. The only thing that has kept me up (I was up until 1:30am crafting that letter that someone posted above) is an extra inning Red Sox game (They're playing the St. Louis Cardinals).

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

You can either give your proxy the freedom to vote as they choose, or require them to vote as you direct

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It would vary depending on how the resort association is organized (i.e. typically a non-profit corporation of some sort) and the applicable state law dictating elections for that type of organization.

For instance in California if a HOA is organized as a non-profit mutual benefit corporation then the applicable provisions of the California Corporate Code would apply. And under applicable law in CA, there is generally only two ways that votes can be cast in a BoD election - either in person or by designating someone who will be present at the meeting to vote for you as your proxy.

Where you think you are voting directly by ballot, what you typically are doing is making the BoD secretary your proxy and directing them to vote as you have marked your ballot. As Ron points out this is called a directed proxy, since the proxy holder is only authorized to vote as you have marked your ballot. Or you can designate someone else and grant them authority to vote as they decide.