• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Owners update showed me a very high MF.

arnief

Reaction score
We went to our owners presentation at the boulevard in Las Vegas today. Man did I get the beatdown from a cute sales rep.

She printed out my account info and she went over it. She said my mf's are a little high they were listed on my account at $2500. Which is about 2 1/2 times what mine was. I told her that was wrong and she started giving me jive about "well it is a property maintenance fee, that's what you get when you buy resale"..

Anyone have any idea what this is, just an acct error? Because my MF are current, and her paperwork should that I was current.

Her sales pitch was to get my deed "Hilton'ized".Her exact words so I wouldn't get this screwing that it looks like I am getting..

Also I had to decide today because after tomorrow they won't deal with reseller upgrades.

Man she had me shocked and a little worried if she is right and Hilton will start adding these fee's on...

Got so pissed at her I got up and walked out and lost my gift ( 5 tickets for a Vegas show, for $60 fee ).

What was she talking about??

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
their lips were moving.....

you can go on your own account and see your MFs. Don't have to rely on sales to do that.

no difference in MF if you by resale or from Hilton direct.

arnief

Reaction score
Man I'm just not sure where the $2500 ( odd number but rounded up ), my mf's are paid and her records showed I was current..

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Man I'm just not sure where the $2500 ( odd number but rounded up ), my mf's are paid and her records showed I was current..

It was a number she made up to convince you to buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Sorry to hear about losing your show tickets and how her comments upset you. This pitch sounds very un-Hilton-like.

I would go back and complain about the rep and demand your show tickets. You honored your part of the deal to show up...she was lying and her lies upset you.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
We went to our owners presentation at the boulevard in Las Vegas today. Man did I get the beatdown from a cute sales rep.

She printed out my account info and she went over it. She said my mf's are a little high they were listed on my account at $2500. Which is about 2 1/2 times what mine was. I told her that was wrong and she started giving me jive about "well it is a property maintenance fee, that's what you get when you buy resale"..

Anyone have any idea what this is, just an acct error? Because my MF are current, and her paperwork should that I was current.

Her sales pitch was to get my deed "Hilton'ized".Her exact words so I wouldn't get this screwing that it looks like I am getting..

Also I had to decide today because after tomorrow they won't deal with reseller upgrades.

Man she had me shocked and a little worried if she is right and Hilton will start adding these fee's on...

Got so pissed at her I got up and walked out and lost my gift ( 5 tickets for a Vegas show, for $60 fee ).

What was she talking about??

Did she show you a print out that had MF of $2500. If not she was Bull S------ You which the sales people are taught to do. If she did I would have gone to the Managers and complained about the fact that your maintenance fees are much lower so why were they listed at $2500. If I didn't get satisfaction I would have called HGVC immediately and complained about the issue since you know your maintenance fees are much lower.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Sorry to hear about losing your show tickets and how her comments upset you. This pitch sounds very un-Hilton-like.

I agree. We have never experienced this from a Hilton sales rep. In fact, just the opposite. I will say that they will spin it to their favor but have never lied.

arnief

Reaction score
YES, on the print out it showed A fee of @$2500.00, I'm not sure I saw clearly what it was for but she said it was MF, and then changed her mind to a fee HGVC was going to charge us for building maintenance.. Very vague Again, all due to buying resell.

arnief

Reaction score
Ok well I will have to call HGVC and ask if they can explain what it was.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
1) The line about a deadline for resale upgrades is udder hogwash.
They've tried to get resale buyers to lose their resale deals, forever.
But you don't care about it, becuz it's be a silly thing to do, anyway.

2) Resales do not get different or extra MF's than retails. Scare tactic.
Everyone with the same-size TS at the same resort gets the same MF.

I'd walk in there, ask to see the sales manager and bring 2 things:
1. A cell phone with the HGVC # to confirm mistakes about your account.
2. A clipping of your webpage "dashboard"... It lists MF's at the bottom.

onenotesamba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World, HGVC Boulevard/Strip
The first time we went to an owner's update at that same location, the sales guy doing the presentation had a similar printout, and he pointed to a number and said that it was our annual membership fee, but it was a completely different figure, which included that $575 transfer fee, my closing costs, and a bunch of other stuff. He also tried to tell us that the best way to upgrade from 4800 points to 7000 points was to buy two silver weeks at Paradise. I pointed out that those same 7000 points at the Boulevard on a single contract would be a lot lower, annually, and he kind of stuttered and then agreed to let us go, roughly 15 minutes into our 1 hour presentation.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I rarely go to these meetings or updates anymore. It seems to make them mad when I laugh hysterically at their BS. I actually had one sales manager with Blue Green threaten to take me outside and whip my butt. I was hoping he would. I'd have liked to have owned a controlling interest in Blue Green.

arnief

Reaction score
I would love to see a hidden cam in one of these presentations, I need some training.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I rarely go to these meetings or updates anymore. It seems to make them mad when I laugh hysterically at their BS. I actually had one sales manager with Blue Green threaten to take me outside and whip my butt. I was hoping he would. I'd have liked to have owned a controlling interest in Blue Green.

We have been to so many timeshare presentations to get the gifts that we don't let anything that they say or do get to us. However, we have had some unusual reactions from some sales office people:

At the Hilton Hawaiian Village one sales person knew we bought resale and also had us the year before at a presentation so at the beginning of the presentation he just gave us our gift and said he was going golfing.

At a Wyndham presentation we had one sales person get upset with us when after the 90 minutes were up and we told him that we bought resale. He said that if he knew that earlier he would have not bothered to sell us and gone golfing.

At Vacation Village in Weston, where we bought our first and only developer timeshare, we have become friends with the sales and closing people that are there and we go for free lunches whenever we are in the neighborhood. Since we vacation for so many days a year in timeshare they love to talk to us and about us to others even though most of our timeshare are resales.

We had one timeshare sales person started to get very upset and showed us pictures of his family saying that he needed to sell so that he could support them.

On our visit to Las Vegas this past fall they were trying to sell us the Jockey Club with very unusual booking rules. They said that we would get one week of timeshare anywhere in the world bookable in the last 30 days before check in. We would also get unlimited Extra Vacations for Cash payment. Even though the above rules were stated in writing when we
took exception to the 30 day check in restriction since at that time all the good weeks are already booked they tried to say that we could book in the last 30 days, but we could also book before that. When we were getting our gift we asked the closing person about the 30 day restriction he concurred with our thinking that we could only book within the 30 days of check in was correct.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want your gift, go back and complain loudly about being lied to. They will want to get you out quickly and they will hurry to get your gift.

arnief

Reaction score
Thanks all... So anyway I hope this helped others (would have helped me). 1) Your deed is no longer valued at HGVC with the new transition and you will be subject to fee's REAL Hilton owners won't. 2) You should "Hilton'ize" your deed to make it valuable down the road.

arnief

Reaction score
Another tidbit... Friends of ours who bought through Hilton is a first tier elite. We have travelled with them in the past, and saw as he went to the elite checkin desk and no one was there, he was also supposed to have early check in so Hilton was supposed to text him when that was available. Text came around 4pm that night.

Anyway I told Sales girl this, she said "He is NOT elite" lmao... I'm not sure how she knew..

phil1ben

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is what scares me about buying HGV stock. On the one hand it is a great business with ever rising management fees, captive clients (i.e. Hilton timeshares) and no one watching the hen house (i.e. sleeping boards who have no bargaining position with HGV). Also, as far as timeshares go I personally believe it is a very good product; particularly if you bought resale. On the other hand I know this is the sales practice and one day true enforcement and real penalties will apply to timeshare sales (i.e. consumer fraud acts, an obligation to put all representations in writing before purchase and require the Borrower to sign a checklist identifying each one) which will kill the stock, or at least that portion of the NOI coming from retail sales. Stock came out at $25.50 and hovering around $26.00.

rahulgopi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all... So anyway I hope this helped others (would have helped me). 1) Your deed is no longer valued at HGVC with the new transition and you will be subject to fee's REAL Hilton owners won't. 2) You should "Hilton'ize" your deed to make it valuable down the road.

As of now Hilton charges $535 activation fees for retail deeds. Activation fees may go up in the future as Marriott did for destination points (Junk fees ). If the activation fee goes very high, it may impact resale prices. If HGVC wants to support the resale value of their product, they should be more aggressive with ROFR, anything else wont help resale prices in the long run. Once the product is sold, MF support the resort / HOA and it doesnt matter resale vs developer as long as the current owner keep paying the MF dues.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
We have been to so many timeshare presentations to get the gifts that we don't let anything that they say or do get to us. However, we have had some unusual reactions from some sales office people:

At the Hilton Hawaiian Village one sales person knew we bought resale and also had us the year before at a presentation so at the beginning of the presentation he just gave us our gift and said he was going golfing.

I was wondering how long ago were you able to goto a presentation at hhv?
I was able to go to them years ago but about 3 years ago they told me resale buyers are not able to get renumeration for an "update". Thanks

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
One thing everyone needs to remember, sales weasels use fear as a sales tool and have no issues telling lies to propagate those fears. If you're going to go into a presentation for the freebies, you owe it to yourself to remember you're rarely getting any useful information out of the deal. Take your gifts, ignore what you've been told. Sales and marketing are separate from resort management.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
The activation fee increase to $560 in 2017 for retail deeds

$349 if you purchase from HGVC so there is a small activation penalty for buying resale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
So the activation fee increase $14 for those purchasing directly from HGVC and $25 for those purchasing via resale. The membership transfer fee remained the same.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was wondering how long ago were you able to goto a presentation at hhv?
I was able to go to them years ago but about 3 years ago they told me resale buyers are not able to get renumeration for an "update". Thanks

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
It has to be at least 3 years ago. Then they started telling us also that resale buyers are not able to get gifts for updates.