TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Over 50,000 Digitized Pieces of Vinyl Can Now Be Listened To On Internet Archive

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by MULTIZ321, Aug 12, 2017.

1. MULTIZ321

MULTIZ321 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
    ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
    Over 50,000 Digitized Pieces of Vinyl Can Now Be Listened To On Internet Archive
    By Dani Deahl/ Entertainment/ Tech/ Music/ The Verge/ theverge.com

"Get familiar with the Great 78 Project.

New York’s ARChive of Contemporary Music (ARC) has been preserving audiovisual materials since 1985, and a little over a year ago, it partnered with the Internet Archive to bring its Great 78 Project to the public. Along with audiovisual digitization vendor George Blood L.P. and additional volunteers, the Great 78 Project to date has put over 50,000 digitized 78rpm discs and cylinder recordings on the Internet Archive, which can be listened to in all their crackling glory.

An ongoing project, the Internet Archive actually has over 200,000 donated physical recordings, most of which are from the 1950s and earlier. These early recordings were made from shellac, not the resin that records are made with today. A brittle material, shellac became outmoded around 1960 as it often creates unusual levels of surface noise and can quite literally break apart in your hands if not handled appropriately. Without digitization, it’s possible some of these recordings would eventually crumble and be lost to history forever...."

[​IMG]

Richard

2. moonstone

moonstone TUG Member

Glad to hear that those old recordings are being preserved!
    DH & I received a turntable that connects to our computer (via USB) for Christmas last year. We have over 5 'milk crates' of LPs to convert and haven't made it all the way through 1 yet! I am looking forward to being able to listen to the albums on CD or my MP3 player. I will look into selling the records when we are done, except for my Elvis Presley Moody Blue album that is on blue vinyl. It has never been opened, let alone played. I worked for RCA records (in Toronto) in 1977 and purchased the album a month before Elvis died.

I have my Mom's collection of 78's and would love to get some of them digitalized. Sadly our USB turntable doesn't have a 78 speed.

~Diane