• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Opinion wanted, Key West, would you vacation there in a few weeks?

Would you go to Key West within the next few week?

• Yes

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 55.0%

• Total voters

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I just found out my favorite timeshare, Banyan Resort in Key West, will be reopening the end of this month.

I must now decide if I will travel to Key West to use my timeshare in a few weeks or not.

The yes in me says I love this place and just sitting on the deck among the banyan trees will be heaven. I will also be helping the local economy.

The no in me says I do not want to drive thru the rest of the keys seeing the destruction and having the sadness, as they got it much worse then key west. We usually stopped a day or two in lower keys and upper keys and this time it would probably be a straight drive thru. Also think access to local services and community amenities may be limited.

What would you do?

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
About 6 months after Andrew tore thru Miami, I went down to visit my old stomping grounds. There was still damage to be seen and some places still closed, but all in all, it was back to it's old self and I was glad I had gone.

That said, IMHO, "a few weeks" is too soon. From what I saw on the telly, the roadside conditions for the drive are likely to be fairly raw with both structural and natural damage. I'll be going to Marco, next June.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just found out my favorite timeshare, Banyan Resort in Key West, will be reopening the end of this month.

I must now decide if I will travel to Key West to use my timeshare in a few weeks or not.

The yes in me says I love this place and just sitting on the deck among the banyan trees will be heaven. I will also be helping the local economy.

The no in me says I do not want to drive thru the rest of the keys seeing the destruction and having the sadness, as they got it much worse then key west. We usually stopped a day or two in lower keys and upper keys and this time it would probably be a straight drive thru. Also think access to local services and community amenities may be limited.

What would you do?

Visiting the Keys at this time would be like going to a 3rd world Country. If you don't mind spotty electrical and water services then it shouldn't be much of an issue; however if you enjoy visiting the center of Town then you may be disappointed. Most of the businesses aren't even operating at this point.

For others in the know: Does anyone know how former President Truman's place made out ? He would visit every year during his Presidency, and Tours used to be given daily prior to Hurricane Irma.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, YES ... I would go.

But every traveler is different. I would NOT expect everything to be open. Or the small KW beaches to be perfect. I would expect a VERY different vacation than if I went before the storms.

But if you want to see the damage and everything being repaired, taken in a certain moment in time .. the not perfect or fairy tale pictures of post cards past. You then can come back in later years and decide WHICH version you like better.

I went to Eastern Europe within the 1st year the Berlin Wall fell. And I went a year later ... same November time, but a year apart. The 1st year almost NOTHING was in English nor did many people speak English. Items for sale ... were local items and not the cheap stuff from China on the first trip. Everyone wanted to be friendly ... it was a great experience.

So I would go ....

I still love my Balvarian cut glass crystal goblets ... European standard 1-size fits both red and white wine.

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
While some places have not yet reopened, many places ARE open. I have been in contact with many friends who live in Key West and they have made a lot of progress getting the island back together. We were in Key West a few weeks after Wilma and they did a great job getting old town cleaned up and damage repaired.

Would I go right now? No, but two or three weeks from now, yes. We hadn't planned to be back in Key West until early December but yesterday we booked a weekend in November to attend a wedding. It will be hard on our hearts to drive through the middle Keys but we're anxious to return to see our friends on the island we love.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes! I would travel to Key West in the next two weeks. Because Key West needs the tourist dollars to rebuild.
Example:
Old Town Trolley service open for business this pass weekend with 15 trolleys in service for the first time since hurricane Irma hits. When the first Royal Caribbean cruise ship visited Key West this passed weekend.

That’s two (2) consecutive weeks that one business was down because of hurricane Irma.

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Just adding an FYI if you are a bargain shopper, I imagine there are bargains if you want to travel to Florida in the next few months.

Hertz has a one-way program for moving their cars, $4.99 a day and you can have it 14 days. You just have to turn it in at an airport in Florida. Lots of East Coast locations to pick one up.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/rental-car-deals/florida-drive-in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am right now leaning towards not going. Just feel I will become overwhelmed with sadness. Hopefully, Banyan will officially open at least two weeks before my week so I can deposit. Right now II will not accept a deposit.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I had the time already booked out, then I might go ahead and go (even though I voted "no" in the poll. However, I would probably go to www.volunteerflorida.org FIRST, and find a way that I could volunteer in recovery efforts for a day or two of my vacation.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If I had the time already booked out, then I might go ahead and go (even though I voted "no" in the poll. However, I would probably go to www.volunteerflorida.org FIRST, and find a way that I could volunteer in recovery efforts for a day or two of my vacation.
That is a great idea. Right now hubby doesn't want to go. Wonder if there would be interest in renting and then I could donate what I got. When I can get in touch with Banyan I'll ask if they have any requests from renters or if they think it would rent if available.

Fitzriley

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Wyndham
We are booked at Sunset Harbor for the 14th through the 22nd, and not yet sure if it will open. I would love to rent your Banyan week if it is the same time. We have been there after a few hurricanes (got married there during Lilly) and think they need the tourist dollars to help recover. Although the drive down will be devastating. Message me if you can rent your Banyan.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You might want to go ahead and "Start a Conversation" directly with Panina.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
If it were me, I would go. I think it would be educational for my kids, build character, and perspective. The destruction is devastating and will cause pause, reflection, and even sadness. But getting out of the bubble of our unblemished lives is beneficial as well.

People in Florida (and other recently affected areas) are forced to live through this. We can't be so sheltered to not even be able to witness it?

I love the idea of finding a way to volunteer time, or bring boxes of needed items to distribute along the way. I see much more positive in such a trip, than negatives. Our typical idyllic vacation could be instead a trip of a lifetime. Good luck on your decision.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Sloppy Joe's is open.... What else do you need? :thumbup: Take lots of cash (or some cash) many electronics are still down apparently....at least along the way.

WireAP_68a8750b154c4e9ca92ca19ade4e94cb_12x5_992.jpg

TBipp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Beach House and Windward Pointe, Key West, FL
The Banyan Resort, Key West, FL
I would absolutely go to Key West. I have been following several chatrooms and it is open for business and in need of your tourist dollars. The official opening date for visitors is Sunday, October 1. Plans for Fantasy Fest have not been diminished in the least. I can send you a list of all the places that are reopened--it is a majority of the restaurants and hotels. Send me a PM if you want to see the list.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We had decided to go and then life happens. I will have to be somewhere else the week we own.

I will try to reach Banyan to see if they can give me another week, which I doubt. Tried calling but no answer.

Right now the website says they are open but II says " unit not available due to resort conditions". Is it because Banyan forgot to tell II they are open or because II doesn't think the area is ready for trading?

Thanks for all you responses, they were much appreciated!