• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Open Season Strategy - HGVC Tuscany in Orlando

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, so after my fiasco with the online point thing, the only way I could book what I needed was to change an existing reservation (that I needed).

So I ended up going from a 1 BR at Orlando from 10/21-10/30 so that the dates were:
10/21-10/27

Now, I could either basically change it to the original dates, but have to stay in a studio the entire time, (there was no way to get the 1 BR for the min. 3 nights and the studio for the others due to the dates and point values as weekends are higher). And I certainly don't want to switch rooms twice (ie: Studio 3 nights, 1 BR 3 nights, Studio 3 nights).

So my "Strategy":

1) I could try to rent from someone for the 3 nights 1 BR. I figured if the cost was $0.20/point plus the $110 for the reservation/guest cert that comes to $518 (let's round up and say $520).

2) I could use hhonors.com. Seems to be about $180/night plus the $25/resort fee/tax, so figure $600.

3) I could use my hhonors points for the reward stay. Granted, it's 172,000 points (no standard awards available since it's October), so if I figure that out in "HGVC" dollars it's like 6,840 points, so probably not the best use. BUT: I can cancel up to 3 days prior. My hope is to then see what, if any, shows up for Open Season.

Assuming #3 for Open Season (since I can't book until 30 days prior):
Has anyone had luck "combining" the stays so that they don't have to move?

jestme

Reaction score
OK, so after my fiasco with the online point thing, the only way I could book what I needed was to change an existing reservation (that I needed).

So I ended up going from a 1 BR at Orlando from 10/21-10/30 so that the dates were:
10/21-10/27

Now, I could either basically change it to the original dates, but have to stay in a studio the entire time, (there was no way to get the 1 BR for the min. 3 nights and the studio for the others due to the dates and point values as weekends are higher). And I certainly don't want to switch rooms twice (ie: Studio 3 nights, 1 BR 3 nights, Studio 3 nights).

So my "Strategy":

1) I could try to rent from someone for the 3 nights 1 BR. I figured if the cost was $0.20/point plus the $110 for the reservation/guest cert that comes to $518 (let's round up and say $520).

2) I could use hhonors.com. Seems to be about $180/night plus the $25/resort fee/tax, so figure $600.

3) I could use my hhonors points for the reward stay. Granted, it's 172,000 points (no standard awards available since it's October), so if I figure that out in "HGVC" dollars it's like 6,840 points, so probably not the best use. BUT: I can cancel up to 3 days prior. My hope is to then see what, if any, shows up for Open Season.

Typically if the reservation is for the same exact room type, regardless of what kind of reservation it is, (Open Season, Club, Home) they prefer to keep you in the same room, it saves them a room cleaning cost. Ask when you check in. If it isn't already done by the system and there is a room available for the length of your stay, they will try to keep you in the same room.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

10/21-10/27

So my "Strategy":

I have been successful in combining Open Season with a Club Season reservation, I have even combined Open Season with an RCI reservation . As others have said they like keeping you in the same room to avoid additional cleaning. However, some resorts have very specific definitions of what the same accommodation is particularly with Studios even though the point value is the same. (As we know in some resorts that Plus and Premium Studios have higher point values) Some HGVC resorts have studios that are Standard, Plus, Premier, Lockoff, Handicapped Accessible etc. that have the same point values so, therefore, even if you can link up nights via Open Season with an Club Season Reservation they may not be the possible to stay in the same room. This happened to us in the Hilton Hawaiian Village years ago only using points at that time they didn't indicate the difference in the reservation system. I have been carefully to watch out for it now.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Don't wait until check-in... By then, they may be locked into assignments.
I'd call the resort directly about 24-48 hours after the OS booking.

Also, don't forget to compare the O/S cost to the hotel-booking cost.
If the difference is minor, the hotel booking may be advantageous.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't wait until check-in... By then, they may be locked into assignments.
I'd call the resort directly about 24-48 hours after the OS booking.

Also, don't forget to compare the O/S cost to the hotel-booking cost.
If the difference is minor, the hotel booking may be advantageous.

I think the Club Rules give a range for Tuscany, Gold season of $119/night (?) for Open Season. Current Hhonors.com is $180/night ($170 for advance, non-refundable purchase). For a 1 BR that is.

As an aside,

Using the info from the other thread, I was able to identify a reservation (contrary to what the rep said, it was NOT the earliest ones I had booked, ironically) that had 2018 points. I simply changed that from 7 nights to 3. Got the points. Booked the extra 3 nights I needed for Orlando, waited 7 minutes (I tried every 1 minute, so 7 minutes seems to be the cycle that the HGVC website "refreshes") and got my 4 nights "back" for the other reservation.

Thanks to all, I am now better informed.