• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ongoing Sales Incentive - Enrolling Post-6/20/10 Weeks [MERGED]

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Since the subject is presentations/promotions.......

We'll be at Grande Ocean for several consecutive weeks in June (well, wife, kids, friends and others will, and I'll commute for weekends, LOL).
Got the usual call last week from the Sales Office to do a presentation, but I explained that WE KNOW 100% that we will NOT be buying anything "right now", and that we would feel guilty even attending a presentation and therefore taking up precious time from the rep, so I wanted to decline the offer.

I said I was interested in hearing about the new HH home rental options now on board (ie the locations) at some point, so he offered this: what he called a "High Priority Presentation", where I would spend only a brief time with a rep in the "Exploration Room", and listen to all the new stuff. Although I said I wasn't interested in a gift of any sort, he insisted that we would still get a couple of gifts-----250 DC points and a gift card. He said this type of meeting is specially geared toward those with "impressive portfolios". I'm sure we are dwarfed by many other owners, but just wondering if anyone else has done this.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

We'll be at Grande Ocean for several consecutive weeks in June (well, wife, kids, friends and others will, and I'll commute for weekends, LOL).
Got the usual call last week from the Sales Office to do a presentation, but I explained that WE KNOW 100% that we will NOT be buying anything "right now", and that we would feel guilty even attending a presentation and therefore taking up precious time from the rep, so I wanted to decline the offer.

I said I was interested in hearing about the new HH home rental options now on board (ie the locations) at some point, so he offered this: what he called a "High Priority Presentation", where I would spend only a brief time with a rep in the "Exploration Room", and listen to all the new stuff. Although I said I wasn't interested in a gift of any sort, he insisted that we would still get a couple of gifts-----250 DC points and a gift card. He said this type of meeting is specially geared toward those with "impressive portfolios". I'm sure we are dwarfed by many other owners, but just wondering if anyone else has done this.

This means that they consider you a prime customer for a possible sale. They consider you statistically valuable enough to forgo the 90 minute requirement.

I've had a presentation last a mere 25 minutes before but they didn't know that going in. They did it because they knew there was no sale potential and they were busy. I am pretty sure they intend to dangle something to pique your interest.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
My view. At some point, I believe MVC will again allow post-2010 resale weeks to be enrolled into DC Pts program. It will likely come at a cost though to the owner. This will happen when existing sales slow down and they need an alternate method of revenue. As such, buy resale now where you want to go. Then be prepared for when that next resale enrollment opportunity comes up. With DC Pts, while the flexibility is nice, I wonder how much higher they can truly continue to increase before buyers are really offset by the up front purchase price. It seems high now, but apparently given MVC earnings report...people are still buying into it. It wouldn't surprise me if MVC limits or places restrictions around renting DC Pts in future also. Incentives to keep the high interest MVC loan may be nice, but I expect what you pay in interest back to them likely compensates for whatever perk they are providing. For me, I just need to buy my added resale weeks..and wait for that next resale enrollment period. :)

ACP

TUG Member
Reaction score
29 weeks Wow and I thought I had too much to deal with. You must have to spend all your time co-ordinating those weeks.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

We've seen advertising boards at at least three of the HHI resorts that plays up the private villas/homes options, especially the house on HHI. Whatever they're calling these targeted presentations, they're still just sales presentations. If you know that going in and want what they're offering as incentives, no harm no foul. :)

If all you want is info on using DC Points at the private home options, it's all on owners.marriottvacationclub.com. Click on "Explore Destinations" at the top of the home page --> then "Explorer Collection" under "Points Options" in the column on the left --> then scroll down to "Vacation Homes" and click on the "Explore your options" link. You'll see three tabs:
  • First (for Executive, Presidential or Chairman's Club members) is "Hilton Head Private Home" that's available via a contractual relationship directly between MVW and the homeowner.
  • Second (for Executive, Presidential or Chairman's Club members) is "Vacation Home Collection" which links to a site of private villa options with fine print that reads, "Vacation options presented to Owners on this website are offered by Luxury Travel Holdings, Inc., a New York corporation doing business as Villas of Distinction pursuant to an agreement with Marriott Resorts, Travel Company, Inc. d/b/a MVC Exchange Company."
  • Third (for Presidential and Chairman's Club members) is "THIRDHOME" which links to a site of private home options with fine print that reads, "Vacation options presented on this website are offered by 3RD HOME Limited, a Cayman corporation doing business as THIRDHOME pursuant to an agreement with Marriott Resorts, Travel Company, Inc. d/b/a MVC Exchange Company. Marriott Resorts, Travel Company, Inc."
I like that MVW has these options but like any other Explorer Collection options they're not the most economical use of DC Points. Plus, it's important to note that only the first option (single home on HHI) is transacted solely/directly with MVW. The other two options are via third parties which carry their own t&c's, so make sure you're aware of usage/cancellation/etc rights before committing.

taffy19

Reaction score
For the most part if you don't have the cash to pay up front, or access to cheap money (HELOC, etc.) then you shouldn't buy.

I hope they do one day allow post weeks into the system for a nominal fee, and I do consider $5k to be nominal if it covers multiple weeks. Right now I am sitting on 29 post-2010 Marriott weeks.
I agree that it is a bad idea to finance timeshares but how many young couples go on these presentations and want to become a member? They may buy 2,000 trust points but have to finance it and have no equity in a house or a sugar Daddy so the mortgage "discount" perk sounds better to them than the other bonus.

If the price of points is going up again, then the basic package is going to cost even more but Marriott's research department must know what they are doing. We all want the program to succeed or we will be losers too.

If the buyers do research within their rescission period, they will end up here and wise up very quickly and some will rescind if they have doubts but others may decide to keep it. Please, do not make them feel like idiots.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
When the interest rate on cars is less than 3% and the rate on timeshares is 14% minimum the advice should go without saying.

The point though should really not be the interest rate but the other reasons to buy or not to buy. If a $20k DC points purchase makes perfect sense for someone then 14% interest is probably not a huge deal. I guess I am arguing against my previous comment but there are so many other variables that make the purchase not make sense for many people that they shouldn't even get to basing the decision on the interest rate.

Of course many people who shouldn't buy end up doing it anyway in the pressure of a presentation but that is not a reason not to give common sense advice. There are people out there where the purchase makes sense.

Reactions: jme

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

It's back again (June 1, 2017)....just got this email.....

--------------------------------

Just announced this morning that we can “enroll” post-2010 externally purchased weeks from today through September 30th. From our internal announcement – “this is a limited time, special offer to celebrate our growth of new resorts, culinary tours, resort credits and more.”

3000 Points purchase enrolls 1 week (or 2 EOYs)
4000 Points purchase enrolls 2 weeks (or up to 4 EOYs)
5500 Points purchase enrolls 3-7 weeks (or up to 14 EOYs)
  • Does not apply to Ritz Carlton or Grand Residence Club ownership
  • US residents/ownership only

Best,

Greg

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
All,

Just announced this morning that we can “enroll” post-2010 externally purchased weeks from today through September 30th. From our internal announcement – “this is a limited time, special offer to celebrate our growth of new resorts, culinary tours, resort credits and more.”

Best,

Greg

Greg, any info re the purchase/closing cutoff date for eligible Weeks? The email gives the offer end date as 9/30 but previous offers have also had a purchase cutoff. Thanks!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
All,

Best,

Greg
If one is willing to spend about $55K, it is a good and perhaps the cheapest way to get to Chairman's Club from only post 6/2010 weeks if you include the points from any weeks you enroll.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Greg, any info re the purchase/closing cutoff date for eligible Weeks? The email gives the offer end date as 9/30 but previous offers have also had a purchase cutoff. Thanks!

Cutoff date is May 15, 2017. Thanks!

Best,

Greg

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks Greg. This is something DW and I will take a look at. We haven't received the email yet, but should soon.

Best regards.

Mike

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Any view on what the price per point is at 3k, 4k, or 5.5k levels? Any incentive or discounts on it, or do you pay retail price for the points with the added bonus of being allowed to enroll a certain number of weeks closed prior to May 15th?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Any view on what the price per point is at 3k, 4k, or 5.5k levels? Any incentive or discounts on it, or do you pay retail price for the points with the added bonus of being allowed to enroll a certain number of weeks closed prior to May 15th?
Its likely to be 15% off the rack rate for the 3000 and 4000 levels, and 20% off for the 5500 level. Or as an alternative, they will throw some MR points and one time use DC points at you. Or they may allow a lesser discount, lesser points combo. They usually like to toss some options at you and let you decide which incentives you want.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All,

These are the numbers that I was sent -- thx!

----------------

$13.68 current retail/point

$41,040

Incentives:

15% discount + 3000 bonus points or 200,000 Rewards ($34,860 net)

-or-

20% discount + no bonus points ($32,820 net)

$54,720

Incentives:

20% discount + 4000 bonus points or 300,000 Rewards

$75,240

Incentives:

20% discount + 5500 bonus points or 400,000 Rewards

infamazz

TUG Member
Reaction score
All,

These are the numbers that I was sent -- thx!

----------------

$13.68 current retail/point

$41,040

Incentives:

15% discount + 3000 bonus points or 200,000 Rewards ($34,860 net)

-or-

20% discount + no bonus points ($32,820 net)

$54,720

Incentives:

20% discount + 4000 bonus points or 300,000 Rewards

$75,240

Incentives:

20% discount + 5500 bonus points or 400,000 Rewards

Thanks, Greg!!

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Greg. This is something DW and I will take a look at. We haven't received the email yet, but should soon.

Best regards.

Mike
Mike, sorry, I should have been more clear, this email was from my sales rep. I still suspect that one day there will be a pure enrollment offer, perhaps at the 10 year anniversary of DClub?

Best,

Greg

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Still pricey for 3000 or 4000 package.

Using the 4000 package as an example. With a 20% discount, cost comes out to $43,776.

If you were to purchase 4000 DC Pts resale, you are looking at around $28,000 (at $5/pt + $2/pt fees).

So, for the difference of $15,776...you get to enroll 2 weeks and still get the bonus of 4000 DC pts or 300k MRPs (maybe worth $2-3k in value?). So, you are probably paying $6.5k +/- per week to enroll?

Might be a better cost-ratio if you purchased the 5500 package and had near 7 weeks needing enrollment. Perhaps closer to $3k +/- per week to enroll. Probably a limited audience with 7 weeks needing enrollment and the up-front to spend $60k+ more on DC Pts (while there are certainly some here on TUG!).

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Mike, sorry, I should have been more clear, this email was from my sales rep. I still suspect that one day there will be a pure enrollment offer, perhaps at the 10 year anniversary of DClub?

Best,

Greg

Thanks for clarifying Greg. Not sure it would make sense for us any way, but interesting to think about.

Mike

skyequeen

Reaction score
We bought a bundle in Aruba that required buying 3,000 points. I really wanted a second week at the Surf Club to use in Platinum season and didn't want points. It was also hard for a while because we took a Heloc loan for this one vs. paying cash and then you have the reality of MFs on so much more timeshare. That being said, the cost of both the 2BR OV and the points was about what the unit sold for before the recession and our average cost per point near $7. We've paid it all off, and we are somehow using all our points what with some weeks gifted to kids. We don't exchange much vs. turning units in for points anymore, and I can tell you I've been waiting for months for two requests with Interval that I'm no longer expecting to come through in Aruba Platinum to link to my own weeks. With the points there is great flexibility and I usually get what I want even there, starting any day of the week. Picked some days up just yesterday that way. And I can cancel and re-book a lot as better things come along. The more points they sell the more people competing for properties. I can turn 5 weeks and points into 12 or 14 weeks of vacation or more. I won't buy more but it does have value to be enrolled and use points and it pleased me to accommodate our children in places we don't own for the exact days they needed. When we are alone we only need 1 BR and that costs fewer points leaving enough to buy other weeks as we want. And I don't want to get involved renting. So the longer we do this the more I like the points option but you really also need to own where you absolutely want to go.

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can anyone clarify EXACTLY what date counts for the May 15th closing date for the validity of this offer?

(I ask because I have several weeks in the closing 'process' right now)!.

Is it the date of the ROFR waiver from marriott?
The date of the contract contract being finalised and money changing hands?
The date of the deed being recorded?
... or the date that marriott change their records?

Also does anyone happen to know whether PBC weeks (phase 1) would be eligible to be enrolled as part of this offer?

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Can anyone clarify EXACTLY what date counts for the May 15th closing date for the validity of this offer?

(I ask because I have several weeks in the closing 'process' right now.

Is it the date of the ROFR waiver from marriott?
The date of the contract contract being finalised and money changing hands?
The date of the deed being recorded?
... or the date that marriott change their records?

Also does anyone happen to know whether PBC weeks (phase 1) would be eligible to be enrolled as part of this offer?
For regular enrollment, (the 6/20/2010 date) it was based on recording date.

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
[checks his records and mutters quietly to himself]

one recorded 19 May, one recorded 24 May, one contract complete and not recorded yet !!

Guess I'm waiting for next years version :)

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
[checks his records and mutters quietly to himself]

one recorded 19 May, one recorded 24 May, one contract complete and not recorded yet !!

Guess I'm waiting for next years version :)
If you're interested, I would still try. If you can demonstrate they were under contract, you may get it.

Best,

Greg

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you're interested, I would still try. If you can demonstrate they were under contract, you may get it.

Best,

Greg
I agree. The $43,000 for 4000 points to enroll 2 weeks or the $60,000 for 5500 points to enroll 3 weeks might be enough of an incentive to make a slight exception on the date.