• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ongoing Sales Incentive - Enrolling Post-6/20/10 Weeks [MERGED]

infamazz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quick question - what's the best way to find out when they are running another program for post-2010 resale purchases to be enrolled in DC? I checked my inbox associated with my MVC account and didn't receive any e-mails about the 2016 promotion. I just want to make sure I'm aware the next time one of the programs is in force. Thanks!

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Quick question - what's the best way to find out when they are running another program for post-2010 resale purchases to be enrolled in DC? I checked my inbox associated with my MVC account and didn't receive any e-mails about the 2016 promotion. I just want to make sure I'm aware the next time one of the programs is in force. Thanks!

You don't have to wait until there is a 'promotion' as long as you understand and are prepared to purchase an amount of DC points equal to the value of your owned week. If you are, the next time you attend a presentation tell them that you aren't interested in buying any points 'unless you enroll my post-2010 resale week'. This is exactly how we enrolled our last post-2010 resale week in 2016. We had been telling them this for the previous 2 years and they would never agree. That time MVCI agreed. We bought the points required and now all of our resale weeks (pre/post-2010) are enrolled. There was no promotion being offered at the time we did this. However, they did offer one a few days later.

Last edited:

infamazz

TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't have to wait until there is a 'promotion' as long as you understand and are prepared to purchase an amount of DC points equal to the value of your owned week. If you are, the next time you attend a presentation tell them that you aren't interested in buying any points 'unless you enroll my post-2010 resale week'. This is exactly how we enrolled our last un-enrolled post-2010 resale week last year. MVCI agreed and we bought the points required. There was no promotion at the time.

I just got back from Frenchman's Cove last week and attended a sales presentation there. I said exactly that - I am not interested until I am able to enroll my post-2010 resale weeks, at which point I would likely buy DC points in order to get them enrolled. They said that they had run such a program back in 2015 (didn't mention 2016), but that they were unlikely to ever run it again because they got too much blowback from people who purchased through Marriott.

Just to be clear - I don't trust what he says that they will never run such a program again, which is why I want to make sure I hear about it the second it comes up. Do you mind letting me know when and where you attended the presentation that they gave you that option to enroll?

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Im with bazzap. I would be willing to cough up a few grand in junk fees to enroll my one post 6/20/2010 week but if i had to buy an equal number for trust points for an extra 20k plus I would say thanks but no thanks.
Ditto

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
You don't have to wait until there is a 'promotion' as long as you understand and are prepared to purchase an amount of DC points equal to the value of your owned week. If you are, the next time you attend a presentation tell them that you aren't interested in buying any points 'unless you enroll my post-2010 resale week'. This is exactly how we enrolled our last post-2010 resale week in 2016. We had been telling them this for the previous 2 years and they would never agree. That time MVCI agreed. We bought the points required and now all of our resale weeks (pre/post-2010) are now enrolled. There was no promotion being offered at the time we did this.

But, as you quoted in July 2016 (see below)....you later found out your deal was approved likely because they were rolling out the 2016 Promotion within a few days of your visit.
We did an owner's update on Tuesday, 7/5 and told them we weren't interested in any more DC points unless we were able to enroll our remaining week (which is a post-6/10 resale) and they agreed to do it. We were not going to post anything about our experience until after the enrollment showed in our owner's account (thinking we were getting a 'special' deal), but now know we were simply being offered a promotion 3 days ahead of the roll-out of this offer. Silly us.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I just got back from Frenchman's Cove last week and attended a sales presentation there. I said exactly that - I am not interested until I am able to enroll my post-2010 resale weeks, at which point I would likely buy DC points in order to get them enrolled. They said that they had run such a program back in 2015 (didn't mention 2016), but that they were unlikely to ever run it again because they got too much blowback from people who purchased through Marriott.

Just to be clear - I don't trust what he says that they will never run such a program again, which is why I want to make sure I hear about it the second it comes up. Do you mind letting me know when and where you attended the presentation that they gave you that option to enroll?
I would imagine that at some point Marriott would extend an olive branch (again) for post-2019 weeks...fingers crossed since I purchased late 2016.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would imagine that at some point Marriott would extend an olive branch (again) for post-2019 weeks...fingers crossed since I purchased late 2016.

But at the cost of buying a very expensive points package. That is not the same thing as just being able to enroll post weeks with the fee. That has never happened and likely never will happen. There isn't any motivation for MVCI to open the door to post enrollments without a points purchase.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
But at the cost of buying a very expensive points package. That is not the same thing as just being able to enroll post weeks with the fee. That has never happened and likely never will happen. There isn't any motivation for MVCI to open the door to post enrollments without a points purchase.
I may be crazy, but I'm still hopeful...and I never say never :)

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score

There will be some quarter where they want the sales bump they would get from that. They can't do it too often, because otherwise it will affect their regular sales

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I do think that at some point they will allow post June 2010 weeks to be enrolled, but the enrollment fee will be stiff ($5K?). I think the point system benefits from having more inventory available to it, and the owner satisfaction experience is very high when using points, and therefore I think Marriott will assess ways to make it available, but at a meaningful price.

I don't expect for awhile, but do think we will see it in the next couple of years, or whenever we have the next economic downturn.

Best,

Greg

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But, as you quoted in July 2016 (see below)....you later found out your deal was approved likely because they were rolling out the 2016 Promotion within a few days of your visit.

Thanks for the reminder. I've updated my original post to reflect that. The trick is that we had no idea a promotion was coming. So, I still suggest raising it during any sales presentation just in case (if enrollment is the OP's goal).

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
They said that they had run such a program back in 2015 (didn't mention 2016), but that they were unlikely to ever run it again because they got too much blowback from people who purchased through Marriott.

I was told the same thing by an MVC sales rep last year after they ran the summer 2016 promotion that allowed post-2010 resale weeks to be enrolled - that it was not something that would probably be run again in the near future, and his reason was the same as you were told. Having said that, never is a long time. But given that their sales are doing very well right now, as long as that is the case, they have little incentive to offer these deals.

We have no unenrolled post-2010 weeks anyway, but at the time I asked the question to the sales rep I was curious, since we were thinking of buying a 3rd party resale week and I was trying to assess the chances that program might be offered again.

Last edited:

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I do think that at some point they will allow post June 2010 weeks to be enrolled, but the enrollment fee will be stiff ($5K?). I think the point system benefits from having more inventory available to it, and the owner satisfaction experience is very high when using points, and therefore I think Marriott will assess ways to make it available, but at a meaningful price.

I don't expect for awhile, but do think we will see it in the next couple of years, or whenever we have the next economic downturn.

Best,

Greg

I agree, but question that a flat fee will be viable when they do. I think even $5k is low. Using a 3BR Platinum MGV that is worth 3,225 points as an example, if that is what I was trying to enroll and Marriott charged a flat $5k fee that would only be $1.55 per 'enrolled point' value compared to getting the $6 to $8 per point (averaged) that they currently charge to buy the number of points the week to be enrolled will be worth. Plus by forcing the accompanying points purchase they create the residual revenue stream of the annual MFs on the points as a condition of enrollment. I could be wrong but I don't see an 'upside' for Marriott to drop the points purchase requirement.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I agree, but question that a flat fee will be viable when they do. I think even $5k is low. Using a 3BR Platinum MGV that is worth 3,225 points as an example, if that is what I was trying to enroll and Marriott charged a flat $5k fee that would only be $1.55 per 'enrolled point' value compared to getting the $6 to $8 per point (averaged) that they currently charge to buy the number of points the week to be enrolled will be worth. Plus by forcing the accompanying points purchase they create the residual revenue stream of the annual MFs on the points as a condition of enrollment. I could be wrong but I don't see an 'upside' for Marriott to drop the points purchase requirement.

I think the only incentive for MVC is if they would start getting a lot of complaints from points owners having difficulty booking points reservations. If that was impacting their ability to sell additional points to current owners, that might provide incentive for them to try to get more enrolled/elected weeks in the MVC Exchange Company. The reality is, though, based on TUG posts, I've read more complaints from weeks owners having trouble booking their owned weeks or getting II trades than I've read of Points owners complaining about lack of points reservation availability.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
The first promo to enroll post 2010 resale weeks was purchase 2000 trust points at a cost of about 22k or so. The next offer to enroll, you had to buy 2500 points. So an extra 5k or so.

I think they will also reinstate this "special" offer when they need to prop up their balance sheet.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
The first promo to enroll post 2010 resale weeks was purchase 2000 trust points at a cost of about 22k or so. The next offer to enroll, you had to buy 2500 points. So an extra 5k or so.

I think they will also reinstate this "special" offer when they need to prop up their balance sheet.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Your "points needed" info is a little off....

First one was
2500 – enrolls 1 external week
3500 – enrolls 2 external weeks
5000 – enrolls 3-7 external weeks

Second one was
3000 – enrolls 1 external week
4000 – enrolls 2 external weeks
5500 – enrolls 3-7 external weeks

Last edited:

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
On the chart with conversion value what does it mean if there is just a (1)?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Your "points needed" info is a little off....

First one was
2500 – enrolls 1 external week
3500 – enrolls 2 external weeks
5000 – enrolls 3-7 external weeks

Second one was
3000 – enrolls 1 external week
4000 – enrolls 2 external weeks
5500 – enrolls 3-7 external weeks

It was even more points than I remember. So 27k to enroll one week and then it went to 33k on the second go around. Maybe if you have a high value unit that it worth double the number of points you have to buy it would make sense. Now if you had to enroll 7 weeks it wouldn't be a bad deal.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All good points, but right now the economy is doing well. I think a number of remember in 2009 when the sh*t hit the fan, and they introduced the 25 year anniversary sale, selling weeks for 25% off -- right before introducing the point system.

There will be a period of time (and I hope it's far down the road) when the economy slows down and point sales are soft -- and they will return to their loyal friends -- existing owners -- and look for a way to get more money out of us. At that point they won't care if previous purchasers complain about enrollment rules, they will deal with it at the appropriate time.

Finally, there are some tremendous weeks out there that are not enrolled. It's a win/win to find away to enroll them. If $5K seems low, how about $10K? It's pure profit to Marriott and they are smart and will innovate, just like they did in 2010.

And, all modesty aside, I kind of predicted the 2015 promotion, calling it "requalifying" a week, because Starwood does that. It wasn't that clever, it was kind of obvious, even though Marriott sales reps said it was impossible in the months/years prior to it. Well, this is kind of the same, isn't it? Think about all of those weeks currently outside the point system. Maybe the 10 year anniversary? $10K at 10 years?:shrug:

Anyone willing to pay that must have weeks good enough to be in the point system?

Best,

Greg

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
All good points, but right now the economy is doing well. I think a number of remember in 2009 when the sh*t hit the fan, and they introduced the 25 year anniversary sale, selling weeks for 25% off -- right before introducing the point system.

There will be a period of time (and I hope it's far down the road) when the economy slows down and point sales are soft -- and they will return to their loyal friends -- existing owners -- and look for a way to get more money out of us. At that point they won't care if previous purchasers complain about enrollment rules, they will deal with it at the appropriate time.

Finally, there are some tremendous weeks out there that are not enrolled. It's a win/win to find away to enroll them. If $5K seems low, how about $10K? It's pure profit to Marriott and they are smart and will innovate, just like they did in 2010.

And, all modesty aside, I kind of predicted the 2015 promotion, calling it "requalifying" a week, because Starwood does that. It wasn't that clever, it was kind of obvious, even though Marriott sales reps said it was impossible in the months/years prior to it. Well, this is kind of the same, isn't it? Think about all of those weeks currently outside the point system. Maybe the 10 year anniversary? $10K at 10 years?:shrug:

Anyone willing to pay that must have weeks good enough to be in the point system?

Best,

Greg

I agree Greg. I remember asking a sales rep if they would allow "requal's" and was told "no way." Of course, they have offered it twice since then. It will certainly depend on the business needs/economy at the time, but I can see it happening again. For us, it will depend on what is required and is our usage such that spending the extra money is worthwhile. We aren't sure at this point if we would do it, but would definitely consider it.

Best regards.

Mike

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
IMHO, one fact remains clear: Marriott is working it's way to an "All Points" system. The concept is much more sound than selling weeks and it competes against HGVC and Vistana--both points or point-equivalent systems.

Given that theory, there are two ways to persuade owners to enter the points game:

1. Encourage and entice owners to enroll, convert or purchase points in-addition-to or instead-of weeks.
    • Allow owners to enroll weeks and generate revenue from the fees
    • Allow owners to purchase points and enroll weeks
    • Allow owners to trade weeks plus cash for points and generate revenue
    • Allow owners to relinquish weeks or resell weeks thru Marriott--converting the weeks to points/enrolled
  2. Discourage and dissuade owners from buying, owning or using weeks
    • Reduce the inventory available to legacy owners via attrition or ????
    • Deny benefits or improvements provided to points owners/enrollees within the language of the contract(s)
    • Actively spread propaganda that discourages non-Marriott resale/purchase of legacy weeks
    • Impose fees or restrictions that make private resale or transfer significantly less attractive to buyers
If you look at the list, you'll see many elements that have already been employed (officially or unofficially). I think much of MVC's efforts have been harmless or helpful to legacy owners (enrollment, resale policies, hybrids, trade-ins etc...) but I think Vistana/Starwood and others (DRI) have shown the darker side of manipulating resale owners to convert/enroll/upgrade their ownership to access new resorts or benefits.

Personally, I think we might see restrictions on points rentals and, ultimately, MVC will convert all legacy weeks (by attrition) to points.
My only hope is that MVC will further incentivize the purchase/enrollment of points before they resort to more Machiavellian tactics.

again, just my 2c

ACP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Went to a presentation yesterday in the new gallery opened last year on Hilton Head. The bundle offered was 2000 points plus a Silver week at Myrtle Beach for $28,000. The week would get 1800 Pts per year so that would basically be 3,800 pts for $7.37 a point. If no bundle the offer would be $12.16 plus sign on bonus.
Not sure if this was put on the table as we are Chairmans club and unlikely to buy any more but it was a good offer IMO

taffy19

Reaction score
We took a promotional tour a few weeks ago and the salesman showed us a letter that they are going to increase the sales price for trust points again on May 31. It didn't show by how much.

The no bundle price for 2,000 points was the same as what ACP posted above ($12.16/pt) or 3,000 points at $11,48/pt or both at the regular price of 13.52/pt. This must be the price that is going up again at the end of this month.

He also told us that a buyer, who takes a Marriott loan out, has two choices of bonus points now and this is something new. The mortgage points perk is like giving the buyer the equivalent of a reduction in interest rate. We didn't really pay that much attention to it but that it is a new option. Has anyone else heard this already mentioned too? I believe that you'll have to keep the loan for a certain length of time.

ACP

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had the same offer, but the interest was 13.99%, which is way to steep

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had the same offer, but the interest was 13.99%, which is way to steep

For the most part if you don't have the cash to pay up front, or access to cheap money (HELOC, etc.) then you shouldn't buy.

I hope they do one day allow post weeks into the system for a nominal fee, and I do consider $5k to be nominal if it covers multiple weeks. Right now I am sitting on 29 post-2010 Marriott weeks.