• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Oh My - Got Frenchman's Cove LM exchange - need lots help

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh boy, got a getaway alert and jumped onto II to eplus into Frenchmans. It was all so fast, just did it without my Type A research of things to death. I know it will be a great vacation, but boy do I need a last minute crash course.

I have searched and found answers to some of my questions - but I need to get some of the basics down.

1. I saw someone recommend that you need a car. Would you all agree? I see there is some sort of water shuttle that leaves the hotel to downtown to explore....is that enough with taxi to/from resort.

2. Grocery. Is there a place nearby or a delivery service?

3. II confirmation has TOVI - any clue what that would mean

4. Building request - know it is a long shot, but certainly can't hurt. We would like to be near pool and kids activities. More important that view for us. Would you suggest Jost Van Dyke, Virgin Gorda?

5. I have a 2BR. Is it dedicated or LO? Or depends....

Sure I will have more questions, but at the moment need to go find flights. After I pick myself off the floor over what I am sure I will have to pay, I will check back in.

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely get a car. We liked going to different beaches to snorkel so we needed a car. Some people like to just hang out at the resort, and in that case you wouldn't need a car and just use the open air "taxi." You do drive on the "wrong" side in St. Thomas so keep that in mind.

There is a delivery service for groceries. MFC will send you info. We just stop by at CostULess before heading to the resort.

All rooms have an "ocean view."

Exchangers are not likely to get the better view buildings.

2BR dedicated units. No lockouts

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
You do drive on the "wrong" side in St. Thomas so keep that in mind.

Good to know. I get sick quickly taking taxis on "wrong way" island countries and territories. I'm a wimp and have to close my eyes. Never tried driving and probably won't.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh boy, got a getaway alert and jumped onto II to eplus into Frenchmans. It was all so fast, just did it without my Type A research of things to death. I know it will be a great vacation, but boy do I need a last minute crash course.

I have searched and found answers to some of my questions - but I need to get some of the basics down.

1. I saw someone recommend that you need a car. Would you all agree? I see there is some sort of water shuttle that leaves the hotel to downtown to explore....is that enough with taxi to/from resort.

I recommend a car but it's really a personal choice based on your abilities. Yes they do drive on the left side of the road but unlike the UK where the cars have steering wheels on the right, the cars here are all US configured with the steering wheel on the left. Combine that with some twisty switchbacks, steep inclines and potholes and it makes for an interesting vehicular experience. Taxi's are expensive. R/T into town to shop or dine will cost $12 to $20 per person. R/T to the airport will be $24 + $2 a bag.

2. Grocery. Is there a place nearby or a delivery service?

Yes and I was grilling with some folks who used it and they really liked it. The selection of meats that they were given looked very acceptable vrs. what I purchased in the local markets. There are many local stores close by but if you are using taxi's it can be a bit of a pain. They have a decently stocked Marketplace at the resort but it's pricy on some items.

3. II confirmation has TOVI - any clue what that would mean

It means Ocean View. All rooms have the same category view.

4. Building request - know it is a long shot, but certainly can't hurt. We would like to be near pool and kids activities. More important that view for us. Would you suggest Jost Van Dyke, Virgin Gorda?

Either would be good, VG will have direct sunshine in the late afternoon whereas JVD will have shade but then you are not directly facing the sunset. Forget a specific Bldg and get the highest floor you can in any Bldg.

5. I have a 2BR. Is it dedicated or LO? Or depends....

No lockouts here.

Sure I will have more questions, but at the moment need to go find flights. After I pick myself off the floor over what I am sure I will have to pay, I will check back in.

I don't know where you are coming from but flights from the NE usually run $400 - $500 R/T when you get them when they first go on sale.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
A few other notes. If you rent a car do it from Avis. Hertz won't allow their cars to go to St John and Budget often overbooks leaving you without a car. There are several local rental outfits that offer very good service but I find them too expensive. Don't bother with a 4WD, you don't need it. Rent the cheapest thing they have. The ferry parking lot at Red Hook is closed for construction so if you go to St John take the car ferry if you rent. Parking at the commercial lot plus the cost of the passenger ferry and transportation around St John will cost you more than the $50 to use the car ferry.

Two restaurants I'm going to recommend, Mafolie has average to good food and a great bar. It also has the best view I've ever had in any restaurant anywhere in the world that I've traveled. The second is Oceana. Very pricy even by NY standards but it also has a great view with waterside dining. The food is excellent. You'll think you're in a movie set from South Pacific. Dress casual but nicely. It's a former Russian Consulate.

Beaches. Avoid Sapphire unless you want to sit with the 15,000 folks who get off the cruise ships on an average day. Megans, Smith Bay and Secret Harbor are the best outside of the Cove resort and Morningstar Beach at the hotel. All have nice bath facilities, SH has a good restaurant and bar, Smith Bay has no food on premises but you can rent lounge chairs. The beaches on St John are all great, some have facilities some don't.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks All. I secured my flights and was very happy with the outcome considering this is a last minute trip during from an extreme high demand travel area from where we are.

I am a bit nervous about driving on the left side of the road......

The water taxi from the Marriott hotel takes you to "downtown". Where is downtown? Where the cruise ships go?

Ok, here it is.....we (when I say we, I mean DH) will not be happy with day after day hanging around a beach. I will be spending a good part of the day researching other things to do. If you have non-beach suggestions: tours, historic sights, etc please pass them along.

I see here (and other boards) always suggest the trip to St. John....ok, can do that, but why? What is there that is worth the trip?

amanda14

Pool Education Team Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats. MFC is awesome and one of our favorite places to visit. Definitely get the car from Avis and the main thing to be concerned with about driving on the other side is be careful and take it slow to begin with but you should be fine. St. John's is a must, we wanted to do the zip line last time we were there but didn't get to it. I would definitely charter or take a boat tour to possibly get to the BVI, caves, etc. The snorkeling right off the beach at MFC is pretty amazing actually. I would go daily with our kids and we saw some legit fish, pretty big turtles and I went pretty far out and saw some amazing rays as well. For groceries we go to cost u less which is kind of like a Costco but less selection and smaller, BUT for our family it had some staples we wanted. Enjoy!

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
ok - about the car rental. I hear you all saying Avis - but Dollar and Thrifty are $330, while Avis is $497. I also checked out hertz from hotel area and they run around $100 per day....so that isn't worth it.

Any experience with dollar or thrifty?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Ok, here it is.....we (when I say we, I mean DH) will not be happy with day after day hanging around a beach. I will be spending a good part of the day researching other things to do. If you have non-beach suggestions: tours, historic sights, etc please pass them along.

I see here (and other boards) always suggest the trip to St. John....ok, can do that, but why? What is there that is worth the trip?
The reason you go to St Thomas and St John especially are the beautiful beaches, snorkeling, boat trips.... You would go to a different beautiful beach each day. Bring your passport and take a trip to the BVIs. Again, just beautiful scenery and beaches.

Why did you change your plans if you don't care for the beach?

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Blackbeards Castle (not Bluebeards) is an interesting site . The oldest Synagogue in NA is here. It has a sand floor. The artist Pizzarro lived here and his studio is in town. If you are athletic take a drive to Botany Bay. It's a private development and you can't drive in there but they let you walk in. It's about a mile or so down to Mermaids Chair or Sandy beach. Be prepared it's a good hike. The water taxi is $6 each way and drops you off in town near the AH Rihse mall. St John is beaches, good restaurants and boutique shopping. Boat trips to the BVI are great but it's snorkeling or beaches again.

If you don't want to sit on a beach 5 of the 7 days I don't think I'd come here. There is not much else to do except shop and the only real bargain is tobacco. Everything else you'll do better online.

amanda14

Pool Education Team Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Very well said. At its core St. Thomas and ST. John to me are really not so much about sight seeing but more about relaxing on a beach with beautiful water etc

Password is taco

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Barony Beach
SVV - Key West
One non-beach thing to do on St. John would be an island/taxi tour where they take you to some interesting historical/cultural sites like the Annaberg sugar plantation ruins. Something like 75% of St John is national park and I'm sure there is some beautiful hiking trails as well.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why did you change your plans if you don't care for the beach?

Well...I didn't say I didn't care for the beach (DH is the one that can take it or leave it). We are happy spending a few days doing the water thing, but we also desire a few days of something different. Sightseeing, resort activities are ok, it doesn't take much to make us happy....just a diversion from beach 24/7.

We have had a great time in Aruba, which I'm going to assume is close to this type of vacation, we found a lot of small diversions.

So far in my research, I have found:
1. Tour of the island
2. Butterfly farm
3. Coral world ocean park
4. Kayaking

Working on historical sights next...thanks Jim/Password for the suggestions for this, will check them out :)

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Well...I didn't say I didn't care for the beach (DH is the one that can take it or leave it). We are happy spending a few days doing the water thing, but we also need a few days of something different. Sightseeing, resort activities are ok, it doesn't take much to make us happy....just a diversion from beach 24/7.
Keep in mind a short walk or resort shuttle gets you next door to the Frenchman's Reef Marriott Hotel, for different scenery, different pools, different beach, etc, etc. We found that swapping back and forth as to where we were spending our lazy days made it feel like we were not seeing the same thing every day.

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi- How did you get a getaway alert to use your E-Plus.
Never done this before.
Hope you have a great trip!

Thanks
Cyn

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi- How did you get a getaway alert to use your E-Plus.
Cyn

Well, it was bit cumbersome because stuff like this can tend to be gone in a minute or so, but here is how I did it.
1. Set up the getaway alert on the phone.
2. When it alerted I went into the phone and secured it on 18 minute hold via the getaway.
3. Different phone logged into my II account and set up search parameters for use with an AC (just in case)
4. Computer logged into my II account and set up the search parameters for use with E-Plus
5. Released the getaway from phone number one.
6. Started refreshing the AC phone and the E-Plus computer set up - when it popped back up I made sure the AC wouldn't pull and then secured with the E-Plus.

I suppose you could do all of this with just one phone - but the time it would have taken to log-in and check the AC and Eplus first could have meant loosing it.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind a short walk or resort shuttle gets you next door to the Frenchman's Reef Marriott Hotel, for different scenery, different pools, different beach, etc, etc. We found that swapping back and forth as to where we were spending our lazy days made it feel like we were not seeing the same thing every day.

Thanks - on this topic...between all Marriott grounds, which one has the best pool for kids? Something like a slide or two can keep her happy for hours!

What about the spa at each - any preference for what I'm sure will be an overpriced vacation massage or pedicure??

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Thanks - on this topic...between all Marriott grounds, which one has the best pool for kids? Something like a slide or two can keep her happy for hours!

What about the spa at each - any preference for what I'm sure will be an overpriced vacation massage or pedicure??
May have missed it if you posted earlier, but age? Small slide for young kids at the Cove. Don't recall any slides at Reef. Reef has a couple nice pools, one is an infinity pool with a swim up bar. My daughter won 3 games of swim up bar Bingo, each win was a bottle of flavored rum, which kept us covered for liquor for the trip. ;-) Not sure about spa....I'm sure they have them but did not partake. They do have some water related rentals right in front of the Cove. My wife and I did stand up paddle boarding lessons which was fun....albeit humbling. ;-)

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you are looking for " not sitting on the beach" then book two boat trips. Bring your passport and do a speed/motor boat tour to the Baths Virgin Gorda and Jost Van Dyke and a second sailing trip from StT to STj gorgeous beaches. That should do it for 7 nights 6 days.

Great Happy Hour at Havana Blue and Sand Bar (could bring kid to sand bar) at Morningstar beach on Marriott property. Spend a day at the Marriott Hotel Pool. Just fabulous. Snorkel "to the right" at the timeshare beach to see turtles. Go to the left to see other fish. Go to Coki Beach at 8 am and snorkel to the right. If traveling with child, go to Coral World right next door.

Love happy hour dinner at Havana blue.
Mims Seaside Bistro has all you can eat shrimp on Thursday??? Go for happy hour at 4:30 at Bluebeard's Castle and watch all the cruise ships leave the port from high up.
And at the Marriott. There is a cruise ship parade every morning and evening.

Spend the day in St John. Go to Trunk Bay -snorkel, relax and then come into town, shop/browse around and have dinner at Rhumb Lines.

Leaving for WEstin St John STJ on Saturday. Can't wait!

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

TS pool the best ... slides and s nice kids club as well. .... although infinity edge pool at hotel is nice as well. Great location your child will enjoy.
Great beach for kids at TS. Spa at Marriott is pretty darn fabulous. Great private outdoor area. You will not be disappointed.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Grayfal! I just came across this on the Marriott frenchmans reef hotel website: http://www.adventurecenters.net/

Honestly, this looks like one stop easy shopping for activities. And if they charge back to the room, even better for MR points! Will something like this be offered at the cove upon check in or do I have to go over to reef for reservations.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Thanks Grayfal! I just came across this on the Marriott frenchmans reef hotel website: http://www.adventurecenters.net/

Honestly, this looks like one stop easy shopping for activities. And if they charge back to the room, even better for MR points! Will something like this be offered at the cove upon check in or do I have to go over to reef for reservations.
Same outfit has an area staffed near Cove pool which is set up for easy on site booking.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Same outfit has an area staffed near Cove pool which is set up for easy on site booking.
Yup. If is right by the Cove Pool. Enjoy!

Bill4728

Reaction score
You asked "where is town?" The main town, Charlotte Amalie, is on a huge bay. The town is in the middle of the bay with the airport on the far west side of the bay and the resort on the far east side of the bay. The TS resort look west toward the bay. The hotel, right next store, covers the whole southern point and looks both at the bay and also east toward St Johns. The cruise ships come into the bay and dock in the main part of town. NOT far from the resort is a passenger ferry that can take to directly to the Westin on St John. From there you can taxi to the many St Johns beaches or rent a car for the day. ( if you choose to not take a car ferry over to st Johns yourself.

The resort is built on a hill, with each building stepping up the hill so pretty much every room has a view. The lower you are the quicker the access to the pool and beach. The higher you are the better the view.

Hope this helps