• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

odd (sort of) results from county auction of Timeshare intervals

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
"The top bid of $4,400 went for an off-season timeshare", so he paid $2000 more than a typical resale

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
also said the same buyer bought another one for 3500 or so....

seems super odd to me that someone would willingly pay so much, especially given so few people even bidding.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
He apparently really wanted those particular weeks.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Perhaps a current owner(s) that had paid a lot of money before when bought developer and don't know about the resale market? I wonder though why they would have started the bidding so high? Was it just a blind auction?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
and im pretty sure this was the SECOND public auction they held for these...with the first one attracting no buyers at all.

IIRC the first auction had them set the minimum price at something outrageous...meaning whoever is running the county auction is also completely clueless as to the reality of the resale market.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I think they set the bid amount at back taxes owed. I looked them over and most were 5 or more years delinquent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Not familiar with the resorts, Maybe they had magnificent views.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
even if they did, they could be picked up for far less on the resale market than the "auction" prices.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Wonder if the bidders actually delivered the cash.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a current owner(s) that had paid a lot of money before when bought developer and don't know about the resale market? I wonder though why they would have started the bidding so high? Was it just a blind auction?

I agree with dioxide here. There have been reports of auctions sometimes being posted at time the resort. Ordinary owners that see the notice are prone to bidding far more than the discount resale market will bear.

California would never have this problem if they just billed the timeshare instead of the owner. It is such a waste.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Owners do overbid. I own a week at a timeshare in south Florida where I was thinking of buying a second week. It was a studio, winter week, oceanfront, owned by the association and they were asking $3000. I was told I could get it for $2000. I chose not to get it. Our association had an auction for owners on weeks they owned. This unit went for almost $6000. There ended up being a bidding war that drove the price up. Most of the other units went for bargain prices of $150-$1000.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I agree with dioxide here. There have been reports of auctions sometimes being posted at time the resort. Ordinary owners that see the notice are prone to bidding far more than the discount resale market will bear.

California would never have this problem if they just billed the timeshare instead of the owner. It is such a waste.
I believe they can't do it because of the Prop. 13 tax law. A tax basis is set for each property at the time of sale, and then there is a cap on the taxes can rise thereafter. The net effect is that two people owning identical properties get charged different tax rates, depending on when they bought.

Each deeded week at a resort is a separate property, with it's own tax burden assigned to the owner of that week.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe they can't do it because of the Prop. 13 tax law. A tax basis is set for each property at the time of sale, and then there is a cap on the taxes can rise thereafter. The net effect is that two people owning identical properties get charged different tax rates, depending on when they bought.

Each deeded week at a resort is a separate property, with it's own tax burden assigned to the owner of that week.

I know but they should change the law for timeshares. They are losing millions because of the unpaid taxes. Places like Florida do not lose a penny because the entire bill is paid regardless of bad debt and defaults.

When a law has zero benefit while costing millions for tax payers it is time to change that law. It is not like Florida bills other HOA's for all the property taxes. It is just timeshares.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I know but they should change the law for timeshares. They are losing millions because of the unpaid taxes. Places like Florida do not lose a penny because the entire bill is paid regardless of bad debt and defaults.

When a law has zero benefit while costing millions for tax payers it is time to change that law. It is not like Florida bills other HOA's for all the property taxes. It is just timeshares.
Prop. 13 is a popular initiative. Placed on the ballot by signature collection and enacted by vote of the people. The only way to change it is with another vote of the people.

Unless thinks have changed greatly since I left CA, proposing any kind of modification to Prop 13 in California is political suicide.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I own at Seapointe in Carlsbad, my property taxes are billed with the annual fees, not separate by the county. Its been the same for the last four years - $75.87. It must be based on the original developer price because i paid $5 for it on eBay.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I own at Seapointe in Carlsbad, my property taxes are billed with the annual fees, not separate by the county. Its been the same for the last four years - $75.87. It must be based on the original developer price because i paid $5 for it on eBay.

Interestingly enough, I used to pay my Donatello (San Francisco) property taxes directly but two years ago +/- the resort had the billing for the property taxes changed to bill the resort directly. The resort then changed our maintenance fees to cover our pro-rata share of the property taxes. I believe that it was in response to a special tax that the city enacted that billed each property owner a fixed sum assessment ($79) for community colleges. The city had failed to consider timeshare owners when this tax was assessed and the action by the BOD at the Donatello prevented the city from assessing each property owner for that amount.

For the record, Donatello and Seapointe include property taxes in the annual maintenance fees. Coronado does not, nor do the CA Marriott timeshares.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

I own at Winners Circle in Solana Beach (fixed unit, fixed week), and my property taxes are billed separately. Solana Beach treats me like any other deeded property owner, so I routinely get notices of changes in sewer assessments, street maintenance fees, etc.

tomt73

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lake Placid Club Lodges, Las Brisas de Santa Fe.
We own a batch of intervals at Lake Placid Club Lodges, in New York's Adirondack Mountains. When the project was built, property taxes were initially billed to the HOA/developer and included in the MF. When the developer was shut down by the State Attorney General, the project stopped at 35 built units. Long story cut short, the HOA's dire financial straits led to it breaking up the single tax parcel into separate parcels for each property. Owner who walked away forfeited their intervals to the County. At the first County tax foreclosure auction in 1996, the County set minimum bids at the amount of the accumulated back taxes, and sold only about 40% of the 575 units on offer. Their next auction, the following year, they dropped the minimum bid requirement, and sold off the rest for as little as $5 to $10 for off-season weeks. That cleared the vast majority of foreclosed weeks. After that, the County and the HOA made a deal whereby the County deeds over foreclosures to the HOA for the amount of back taxes, and the HOA auctions them off among owners and their friends. That process now results in between 3 and 12 weeks being auctioned annually. The foreclosures seem to happen when an owner dies, and the heirs have no idea there is a TS in the estate.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Laguna Surf is one of the few timeshares that I believe owning would actually be an asset, even an off week. This guy overpaid but not by all that much.
There's someone who owns many many weeks at Laguna Surf - maybe it's the same guy and he's trying to buy up a whole year so he can convert it into a condo for himself.

I think they set the bid amount at back taxes owed. I looked them over and most were 5 or more years delinquent.
I agree. I looked over the list and decided not to take part in that auction because min bids looked too high to me.

I think you're right at least for some in the area. That's certainly the case with my Carlsbad Inn ownership. We pay way way way more in taxes than the people we bought it from. Our ownership taxes are based on their estimate of the value at the time of purchase. And it was NOT based on the actual price we paid.

This auction was in Orange County and Carlsbad is in San Diego County.
I own in both counties. The way taxes are paid is up to the resort and the HOA - either included in your MF bill or not.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maybe it's a deal for taxes but I'll bet they didn't pay maintenance fees either, who pays fees and skips the taxes? Wait until he tries to make a reservation.

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Maybe it's a deal for taxes but I'll bet they didn't pay maintenance fees either, who pays fees and skips the taxes? Wait until he tries to make a reservation.

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

There have been a few threads on the Marriott forum dealing with timeshare auctions. Most result in Marriott being the winning bidder for the lot but I remember at least two TUGgers picking up Weeks at Boston's Custom House auctions. This thread has info about an upcoming auction for Marriott Shadow Ridge, CA Weeks in mid-May.

I don't know if any Marriotts were included in this OP's lot but if/when Marriott auctions are held for tax liens, the winning bidders are not then hit for any unpaid mortgage or MF delinquencies. I don't know how that's all squared away, though. Maybe the minimum bid covers those, too?

For what it's worth property taxes at all Marriotts in CA are billed direct to the owners separately from the MF's and like Steve said above, all like intervals are not assessed uniformly. And it is possible to file a successful appeal.

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There were some NCV units, Marriott probably scooped them up. Marriott may be able to absorb the cost of several years lost fees, not sure about a small independent like Laguna Surf.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score