• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ocean Oak stay

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Charcoal does seem an odd choice. I happily use charcoal in my smoker at home, but i have gas grill for everyday grilling. On vacation i am usually more interested in interested is something i can cook reasonably quick and easy.

Wonder if there was some code or regulation that required charcoal?

onenotesamba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World, HGVC Boulevard/Strip
As a die-hard charcoal Weber grill guy, I have to say...if a gas/propane option was the only thing available, it'd frustrate me.

But that's just me and my personal preferences. We make our Thanksgiving turkeys on a charcoal gril, so I'll own it that I'm more of a purist than others would be on vacation.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe they thought that charcoal grills would help save on MF's.
I can see that. But, if you are paying $60k (or whatever they are charging for the VOI), would you care about a couple more dollars in your MF bill. I wouldn't.

It is definitely better for HGVC, and in turn for the owners, and I bet lowers the insurance premiums.

Now, if HGVC is so wise, they should probably sell charcoal bags at the Marketplace. Personally, I rather pay a premium at the marketplace than going to the piggly wiggly (I think that is the closest place that sells charcoal). They sell small bags with lighter infused charcoals.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Charcoal does seem an odd choice. I happily use charcoal in my smoker at home, but i have gas grill for everyday grilling. On vacation i am usually more interested in interested is something i can cook reasonably quick and easy.

Wonder if there was some code or regulation that required charcoal?
I am the same way.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a die-hard charcoal Weber grill guy, I have to say...if a gas/propane option was the only thing available, it'd frustrate me.

But that's just me and my personal preferences. We make our Thanksgiving turkeys on a charcoal gril, so I'll own it that I'm more of a purist than others would be on vacation.
I can see your point. But, to be fair they should provide both options.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW - Unless I missed something, there are only two grills.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Maybe they thought that charcoal grills would help save on MF's.

I wonder if these would actually save on the MF. Yes the charcoal grills are probably cheaper than gas, but now the staff needs to clean out the used coal and ash everyday..

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Do you notice the TV within the mirror in the master bedroom?

We are back for another week at Ocean Oaks. We just love this place. Anyway, this time we are in a regular 2-bd unit. These units don't have the TV within the mirror in the master bath. Of well, we actually didn't use it anyway. So it looks that they are only in the OV and POV rooms.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
We are back for another week at Ocean Oaks. We just love this place. Anyway, this time we are in a regular 2-bd unit. These units don't have the TV within the mirror in the master bath. Of well, we actually didn't use it anyway. So it looks that they are only in the OV and POV rooms.
And I thought how did I miss the tv within the mirror when I was there...at least now I know it wasn't there. Enjoy!

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I thought the units were 100% the same other than the location.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I was under the same impression except for view. That is the only difference that I have found so far.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
All units on the first floor have extended balconies. It looks they extend an additional 4 feet. That is the only additional difference which I see.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
All units on the first floor have extended balconies. It looks they extend an additional 4 feet. That is the only additional difference which I see.
I noted that in the OF units, but this units are dedicated to the sales department now. Did not look at the rest of the resort.

Southdown13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are enjoying this resort as well. Reserved a 2 bedroom premium using club points for five nights and received a third floor unit with an ocean front view. We like the modern interior decor and of course the view. Our unit does have the tv in the mirror although we haven't used it.

We had originally signed up for an owner's update for a $175 Visa gift card, and thanks to this thread, we found out resale owners were not eligible. I called to confirm and they cancelled our appointment. No problem because we were hesitant about doing it anyway.

We loved biking on the beach and riding around the Sea Pines area and enjoyed our visit to Beaufort. This is our first time on HHI, and we are glad we finally made it out here!

View from the balcony

Pano
[url=https://flic.kr/p/BP5okE]
[/url]

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
We loved biking on the beach and riding around the Sea Pines area and enjoyed our visit to Beaufort. This is our first time on HHI, and we are glad we finally made it out here!

Were you to able to ride the bikes through the Sea Pines gate? They did not allow us in August.

We turned back, took the first path to the beach, rode on the beach, and then went in through one of the paths.:whooopie:

Southdown13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Were you to able to ride the bikes through the Sea Pines gate? They did not allow us in August.

We turned back, took the first path to the beach, rode on the beach, and then went in through one of the paths.:whooopie:

The concierge told us that they wouldn't allow us through the gate, so we rode further down the beach from where you entered and accessed through Sea Pines Beach Club. We did exit out through the gate.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
The concierge told us that they wouldn't allow us through the gate, so we rode further down the beach from where you entered and accessed through Sea Pines Beach Club. We did exit out through the gate.
OK, we were not warned by the concierge. But did the same two days. One day we went to Harbortown and one day we went to the Salty Dog.