• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ocean Oak stay

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We managed to book 3 days midweek at Ocean Oak on Hilton Head island last week.

The rooms themselves were first class. The building itself is a 6 story "L shape", with rooms 1-7 perpendicular to the beach and facing south - and rooms 8-11 are facing the ocean. We were in room 2 with a partial view up high even though it was a "standard" room. The master had a large bathroom and a large shower with a good sized tub and double sink vanity - and it had a slider window with access to the lanai (as does the living room). The second bedroom had 2 twins with a decent sized shared bathroom with the living room. The units were really upscale and comfortable.

Parking was under the building and some spaces were reserved for a building that is literally surrounded by the "L" (all rooms of it face north). I suspect that HGVC gave parking and/or pool/beach access rights to neighboring buildings to fit in the tight footprint. There is room on the south of the building and towards the back of the property to build another building - it appears they have cleared room but who knows if they will wait until sales reach a point in the main building to start a new one.

The bar/restaurant was open and had shaded seating. It is smaller but a nice feature and next to the pool and convenient. You then have a short walk to the beach, which is very nice too with a steady breeze. Having been in FL a lot, the water is not as clear but the beach setup was great and there were no issues with having your own chairs and umbrella. The beach was very busy but that makes sense in the summer.

The staff was very friendly too. The only drawbacks are that if you leave something outside your front door (which we only did for a few minutes as we were prepping to go TO the beach) the staff may pick it up (thankfully that is what happened). Also, they close down the pool and hot tub access at dusk.

Overall a very nice place to be if you can get in.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Thanks for the post. We stayed there also for eight days in early June. I will also add, we really liked the area itself and the bike riding. There are many places to rent bikes. The neat thing about the Ocean Oaks suggested bike rental company (I suspect others also) is that they deliver and pickup the bikes at the resort (they will leave the bikes locked and give receipt and code to front desk). Also, I was surprised that you can ride the bikes on the sand because it was so hard.

Obviously, this was our first time to HHI but I am certain that it won't be our last (in fact, we have another trip scheduled for this September).

I am sure that @TUGBrian would like you to complete a review of Ocean Oaks on TUG resort section (https://tug2.com/BrowseResorts.aspx?Top+TUG+Resorts&top=TUG)

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post. We stayed there also for eight days in early June. I will also add, we really liked the area itself and the bike riding. There are many places the rent bikes. The neat thing about the Ocean Oaks suggested bike rental company (I suspect others also) is that they deliver and pickup the bikes to the resort (they will leave the bikes locked and give receipt and code to front desk). Also, I was surprised that you can ride the bikes on the sand because it was so hard.

Obviously, this was our first time to HHI but I am certain that it won't be our last (in fact, we have another trip scheduled for this September).

I am sure that @TUGBrian would like you to complete a review of Ocean Oaks on TUG resort section (https://tug2.com/BrowseResorts.aspx?Top+TUG+Resorts&top=TUG)
I'll be there at the of the month. Do you know how much were the bike rentals for the week?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

bdj604

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems strange to close the pool/hot tub at dusk. Some of our favorite times at other resorts include evening trips to the pool and hot tub. Anyone know why they close so early?

GM600

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld (Orlando)
HGVC on the Boulevard (Las Vegas)
Marriott’s Grande Vista
Seems strange to close the pool/hot tub at dusk. Some of our favorite times at other resorts include evening trips to the pool and hot tub. Anyone know why they close so early?
It's due to the sea turtle ordinance

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

toontoy

Reaction score
We stayed for a week right around Memorial Day. I thought the beach was nice and very gentle waves. We had a toddler with us and she loved the pool and the beach. The rooms were nice and large with a laminate wood floor. It was a bit noisy with her running around on it at time but nice with not having to deal with sand in carpet. We had a regular room and had a nice ocean view which was a plus. The 2nd bedroom was large, I was surprised to see it didn't have a window and the bathroom was almost the size of the bedroom. Only the master had a tub, it was a deeper soaking tub but not really over-sized. The showers were nicely appointed and pretty roomy.

We are already planning a return in a couple of years, it was a nice resort near the center of town.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Very nice place, enjoyed my stay. I only wish they had smaller units then 2 bedrooms. A waste of space I don't need and of course points.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I only wish they had smaller units then 2 bedrooms.
I agree, I wished they had different sized units also, but I would like 3-4 Bedroom units.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, I wished they had different sized units also, but I would like 3-4 Bedroom units.
I agree, they should have 3 Bds like some of the Marriott properties in HHI. I had to reserve 2-two bedroom units (check in 9 days away) because of this. I could have used a 3 BR.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am at Ocean Oak in a 4th floor Ocean Front corner unit and I am loving it. Something I want to share is that there is a GE charging unit for electrical cars. However, the parking space is not restricted to electric vehicles (like an ADA space designation). Parking is an issue and spaces are hard to find.

Elevators are pretty slow. I like that they require a key to get in.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Couple more observation from my stay. There is a DVD Now kiosk (second floor above the check in desk) where you can get two dvds at the time. The selection is decent and somewhat current.

Staff is very friendly.

Overflow parking is located across the street.

Resale owners are not allowed to seat for presentations. Concierge will book resale owners but they will be rejected during presentation check in.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Resale owners are not allowed to seat for presentations. Concierge will book resale owners but they will be rejected during presentation check in.

Seems they finally got smart, their target is the uneducated timeshare consumer, realizing resale customer will not buy. Wonder if it's only at this location or will be at all locations.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this applies to all locations. I believe someone mentioned this happened at this resort because it is small and new (with active sales);6 Floors with 11 units per floor. However, the 4 First Floor Ocean Front units are the preview center.

But I have read here of this happening at other locations.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW, the unit numbers work as follows:

1XXX

Where

First X is the floor number (1-6)
Remaining Xs are the unit number (01-11)

Units 01-07 are oriented perpendicular to the ocean looking south (through buildings). 01 is the farthest from the ocean 07 is almost adjacent to the OF Units.

Unit 08 and 11 are corner OF units. 08 and 11 are the south and north corners respectively. 09 and 10 are center OF units.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

GM600

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld (Orlando)
Marriott’s Grande Vista
Do you notice the TV within the mirror in the master bedroom?
I didn't notice that on my stay. It did have a light that went around the border.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I didn't notice that on my stay. It did have a light that went around the border.

Use the remote in the Master Bathroom to turn on the TV within the mirror. Personally, I didn't find it very useful because we really don't watch TV much while on vacation.

GM600

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld (Orlando)
Marriott’s Grande Vista
I guess I'll have to check that out next time I stay there :D

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you notice the TV within the mirror in the master bedroom?
I did. An interesting item but we only turned it on when we are arrived and one time while I was showering. If you are showering it is not ideally positioned because the shower head is close to the front wall and the viewing angle does not work.

I suppose it could be used while using the toilet :confused:, the bath tub :thumbup:, or the sink area ;)...personally, i preferred the 65" tv in the living room :cool: or the bedroom tvs which were decent size also.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
On a different note, I found the grills disappointing. I am used to gas grills at Westin and Marriott properties. Having to buy charcoals is too much work while vacationing.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
On a different note, I found the grills disappointing. I am used to gas grills at Westin and Marriott properties. Having to buy charcoals is too much work while vacationing.
I agree with you. I've never noticed a TS where we have stayed that only has charcoal grills. Disappointing that a premium brand such as HGVC wouldn't have gas grills at one of their newest resorts. :(

Kurt

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Maybe they thought that charcoal grills would help save on MF's.