• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

NYC with a little dog

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
our daughter is flying to NYC for a wedding. Since she may be moving back to States by end of year this will be the trip to transfer the dog back to us. We'll meet her and visit for a couple days before driving home.

We have reservations at Hyatt House/Chelsea. Pet friendly. Need suggestions for restaurants with outdoor patios that accept the dog.

Also will he be able to ride subway from JFK? And walk around Rockefeller Center?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not knowing where your daughter is currently living ... but will the pet have to be quarintined when coming into US?

Ask at the hotel since they are pet friendly. Having stayed a couple of times in the city (not the burbs), I really don't remember seeing dogs .. large or small except police dogs.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I lived in NYC for a bit and we had our small dog, Floyd. At the time he had extreme separation anxiety so we brought him with us everywhere. Most restaurants were fine with him on the patio and there are lots of restaurants with patios. But every now and then we would run into issues. The problem is, they weren't consistent. It was kind of a crapshoot. We could do for brunch one week and it was great and fine but the next week they would give us some trouble about our dog. Just wasn't super consistent even if you call ahead of time and ask about dog policies.

So I recommend bringing a dog travel bag just in case, usually putting your dog in the bag can settle the issue on patios. Besides, that's how you have to travel with the dog on the subway anyway. The subway rule is the dog has to fit in a bag you can carry. So if you google that, you will find some really crazy cute pictures of people carrying their large dogs in bags on the subway.

7.22.16-Husky-in-a-bag3.jpg

man-with-giant-dog-tote-bag-new-york-subway-4.jpg

nyc-subway-dogs.jpg

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
VegasBella -- thank you. I loved the photos.

Agreeing with vacationhopeful, above, my first thought: The dog might need a period of quarantine.
Hope that question is quickly resolved. Best wishes to all involved in the relocation project!

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
DD is doing checks on making sure Rocky meets NY restrictions. She is flying through Amsterdam to avoid LHR quarantine.

Thanks for pictures. They're great.

I thought we'd buy one of those pet strollers. He's a 10 pounder and after a while (like 5 minutes) it feels like 50 when I'm carrying him. His little legs and stamina won't last long in NYC. He'd have his own seat at restaurants and we could zip him in if needed. He's an adorable Peek-a-Pom from http://peekapomhollow.com/wp/. I like to visit when we travel to HHI. Last time they had a little black cutie I would have loved to take home but he was already spoken for.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Loved the German Shorthair pointer ... had one and she looked just like your picture.

All I had to do, was throw a blanket or towel over her head .. and she would fall asleep.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I thought we'd buy one of those pet strollers.
We have one :) Now that Floyd is old he really doesn't walk long distances, especially in the heat during Summer. So we put him in a stroller and he loves it. One day he got into a barking match with a dog in a dog-wheelchair at the park. It was hilarious.

BTW this article has some details about getting around in New York with a dog:
http://www.urbandognyc.com/transportation/pet-transportation-inyc-author-sean-sheer/

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We saw a little dog in a stroller on a cruise. I wonder where the dog relieves himself?

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
We saw a little dog in a stroller on a cruise. I wonder where the dog relieves himself?

On pee pad? And then trash it? Similar to diaper disposal.

When Anna took Rocky to Italy I booked her in business class on Lufthansa. German carrier allowed him, a US carrier wouldn't. It was before I know about all of Lufthansa strike problems. Fortunately she didn't get caught in one. We had this plan that she would slip him to restroom during the night and put a pee pad on floor in case he needed to pee. Then she would tie it in plastic bag for disposal. He never went, even when she took him to restroom in FRA but she said he sure did when they got outside the airport in VCE.

She said everyone and the flight attendants were very nice.