*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Not paying Maintenance Fees

Discussion in 'Buying, Selling, Renting' started by Timeshare prison, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Timeshare prison

Timeshare prison Guest

I would love to get out of the timeshare I have owned for 15+ years. It's with Raintree (used to be Club Regina when I purchased). I dug up my old regulations for the resort which states in Chapter IV, Article 4.4 "Non-payment of the Maintenance Fee during 2 (two) consecutive years shall imply rescission of the contract."
    Does anyone have any familiarity with someone trying this? I remember some years ago asking the agent who sold it to me about how to get out of it and she said "Oh, just don't pay for 2 years". It is all paid for except for the maintenance fees of course. The current expiration (it seems that every time they make some kind of management change they increase this) is 2046. I will not live that long and really don't want to pay these fees until I die.
    Thanks

2. bogey21

bogey21 TUG Member

Call and ask if they would rather have it right now than wait until you don't pay for 2 years. They might say yes. Who knows unless you ask.

George

3. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Boy, it sure would simplify things for all timeshare owners- AND the HOA's if ALL contract were written this way. Don't use or want it, just don't pay. The end.

I don't know how or if it would work with deeded properties, but for the points, or vacation club type, that would be the ticket.

Jim

4. dougp26364

dougp26364 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Sounds to me as if you've been provided a way out. If they try to collect, send them a copy of that provision of the contract and state it's your intention to exercise your contractual right. If they try to ding your credit record, you can challenge the report and send the credit bureau a copy of the provision in the contract, showing you're recinding the contract rather than not paying a debt.

We made the mistake of joining a travel club several years back. Once we figured out we weren't going to use it, we just stopped paying the membership fee's. They kept trying to get us to pay for several years before giving up. It was never reported as a bad debt on our credit reports. The company finally went bankrupt (Travel More Now) but apparently had their contracts bought out. We were contacted by the "new" company about paying our membership fee's and turned them down flat. We haven't heard anything for a few years now. In the end, it was as simple as not paying out membership fee's.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013