• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

no good deed goes unpunished

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
It has been a while, probably close to a year and a half, since I started doing my own cancel and rebookings. I had one VC get really snotty with me when I called to ask about something. Then the next time I called to cancel and rebook I got her again and the attitude and she screwed up the reservation. There is a smaller pool of VC's for Presidential Reserve and rather than risk getting her and having her irritate me I quit calling and just do it myself.

For the past about five years my reservations are with very rare exceptions booked within 60 day window and I only cancel and rebook if I find a better upgrade. And that isn't happening very often anymore. If the reservation is one that is really important to me then I don't risk it unless there is still something I could use if what I cancelled is lost. That is another big change that I've noticed in the last two years as I had never lost an important reservation before that and never really worried that I might.

If you are calling I would make sure you are doing it while you are online too. There were a couple of times that I actually caught the reservation before the VC did when it came back.

It is my understanding from what I was told by a VC a few months ago that they are no longer supposed to be doing the cancel and rebook. OP may find some VC's who will still do it for them but I wouldn't expect that to continue. I wondered about the change in policy and was told that the policy was always that they weren't supposed to do it but everybody did. There are two reasons that I can see why they are starting to enforce it. One was to cut back on the number of VC's and not have them tied up with those phone calls. Remember the layoffs and VC's pulled to work on the audits? The other reason was that Wyndham was pulling inventory when reservations were cancelled more often than in the past. When you are doing it yourself online and you aren't seeing the reservation come back you just assume someone else was quicker than you especially if you got slowed down by having to select the pictures. When the VC's don't see it come back even for that flash of a second or two they know that Wyndham has pulled the reservation and it gets awkward when they know that you know exactly what happened. I remember thinking it was odd when they really started firmly warning us that reservations can get lost. Duh, we all know that. I found a VC that was willing to talk and was told it was happening a lot more often that reservations weren't coming back.

OP may have better, more up to date information about this.
Very well put.

Yes that was my concern. I have never done one online, and last fall when I did one, I was warned by a VC that a VC would no longer help. But when I saw that post suggesting a special cancel and rebook number, for the sake of all on TUG, I had to do it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
It has been a while, probably close to a year and a half, since I started doing my own cancel and rebookings. I had one VC get really snotty with me when I called to ask about something. Then the next time I called to cancel and rebook I got her again and the attitude and she screwed up the reservation. There is a smaller pool of VC's for Presidential Reserve and rather than risk getting her and having her irritate me I quit calling and just do it myself.

For the past about five years my reservations are with very rare exceptions booked within 60 day window and I only cancel and rebook if I find a better upgrade. And that isn't happening very often anymore. If the reservation is one that is really important to me then I don't risk it unless there is still something I could use if what I cancelled is lost. That is another big change that I've noticed in the last two years as I had never lost an important reservation before that and never really worried that I might.

If you are calling I would make sure you are doing it while you are online too. There were a couple of times that I actually caught the reservation before the VC did when it came back.

It is my understanding from what I was told by a VC a few months ago that they are no longer supposed to be doing the cancel and rebook. OP may find some VC's who will still do it for them but I wouldn't expect that to continue. I wondered about the change in policy and was told that the policy was always that they weren't supposed to do it but everybody did. There are two reasons that I can see why they are starting to enforce it. One was to cut back on the number of VC's and not have them tied up with those phone calls. Remember the layoffs and VC's pulled to work on the audits? The other reason was that Wyndham was pulling inventory when reservations were cancelled more often than in the past. When you are doing it yourself online and you aren't seeing the reservation come back you just assume someone else was quicker than you especially if you got slowed down by having to select the pictures. When the VC's don't see it come back even for that flash of a second or two they know that Wyndham has pulled the reservation and it gets awkward when they know that you know exactly what happened. I remember thinking it was odd when they really started firmly warning us that reservations can get lost. Duh, we all know that. I found a VC that was willing to talk and was told it was happening a lot more often that reservations weren't coming back.

OP may have better, more up to date information about this.

I wonder if they are going to start charging if you cancel. RCI charges a fee I believe when you cancel even it it's well ahead of time. That would cut down on the cancel rebook. The sales guy could still use that as a sales tool but leave out that they charge a fee for cancellations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they are going to start charging if you cancel. RCI charges a fee I believe when you cancel even it it's well ahead of time. That would cut down on the cancel rebook. The sales guy could still use that as a sales tool but leave out that they charge a fee for cancellations.

Not long ago they started charging a guest confirmation fee in the hope that that would cut back on rentals. It didn't work

Let's assume a $100 cancel fee. If I cancel a 200000 point reservation and rebook at 100000, I just saved $600. I'd pay that cancel fee all day long

My point is that as long as there is money to be made renting there will rent

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It has been a while, probably close to a year and a half, since I started doing my own cancel and rebookings. I had one VC get really snotty with me when I called to ask about something. Then the next time I called to cancel and rebook I got her again and the attitude and she screwed up the reservation. There is a smaller pool of VC's for Presidential Reserve and rather than risk getting her and having her irritate me I quit calling

Was her name Michelle?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
RCI doesn't charge for cancellation. They charge an exchange fee and if you cancel you lose it and some points depending on when you cancel. If you want to use the remaining points you pay the exchange fee again.

I think Bluegreen charges a cancellation fee. I think it's around $39 unless you are rebooking for something with more points. The higher your status the more free cancellations you get.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Was her name Michelle?

Sorry but I don't remember her name. I think she is either gone or promoted to supervisor. Wish I was kidding about the last part but I've seen it happen too often.

I know when I called to ask a question a few months later one of the VC's I'd been taking to for years got my call and joked that I must be avoiding him because it had been quite a while since he'd talked to me. I told him it wasn't him that I was avoiding and never mentioned her by name. Since there hadn't been time for him to look at the notes on my account to see who I'd talked to around that time and he seemed to know right off the bat who I had a problem with, I'm guessing I wasn't the only one.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
RCI doesn't charge for cancellation. They charge an exchange fee and if you cancel you lose it and some points depending on when you cancel. If you want to use the remaining points you pay the exchange fee again.

I think Bluegreen charges a cancellation fee. I think it's around $39 unless you are rebooking for something with more points. The higher your status the more free cancellations you get.

Sorry, I misunderstood her. She said she buys cancelation insurance. Otherwise, if she cancels, she loses her points and exchange fee. If she decides to use her week instead of exchanging, and has to cancel, she either loses the week or has to pay the fee to deposit it into RCI. Either way you cut it, it cost money to cancel. It may not be a cancelation fee per se. With Wyndham points, you don't pay anything to cancel, provided you cancel before 15 days from check in. You do have to pay a fee to add points to the credit pool and I believe there is a fee to deposit points into RCI. It's been a couple years since I have done that, so I am not sure. RCI does not have a bad program. They have a lot of resorts to choose from if you want to pay the exchange fee. I just think Wyndham is more flexible.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also posted about the waste by using points for air travel. I thought it was odd the replies that you received for trying to educate them.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
His trusted salesman saved the day by telling them that they could do that. Why would the salesman tell him that if it wasn't a good idea?

Salesman always tells you the truth or what ever you want to hear.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I was just punished for telling someone that their PR glasses gift from wyndham only cost them $100,000. And was told that presidential reserve MF is 3.98/1000.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I was just punished for telling someone that their PR glasses gift from wyndham only cost them $100,000. And was told that presidential reserve MF is 3.98/1000.

They must own King Cotton. King Cotton is PR only, but if you look at resorts with both standard and PR, PR is higher MF/Point in every single case.

I think your $100K estimate would be per glass, btw.

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
I consider TUG to be like Fox News - meaning Fair and Balanced. I watch Fox News; I read TUG. . .
I agree that TUG provides great info .. not so much Fox news.

I just saw this graphical image depicting the most widely read news sources and thought it was pretty useful: [Deleted/political]

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
I agree that TUG provides great info .. not so much Fox news.

I just saw this graphical image depicting the most widely read news sources and thought it was pretty useful: [Deleted/political]

Bob
Sorry, I did not know the graph was political .. it depicted 15 to 20 news sources and did not take any particular positions on any political issue. It placed the news sources on a graph showing liberal vs conservative on the x axis and depth of reporting analysis on the y axis. I found it valuable info.

Bob

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I did not know the graph was political .. it depicted 15 to 20 news sources and did not take any particular positions on any political issue. It placed the news sources on a graph showing liberal vs conservative on the x axis and depth of reporting analysis on the y axis. I found it valuable info.

Bob
That graphic is just a graphic. The X-axis holds no objective value as far as I am concerned.

BellaWyn

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Back to the OP's OT.....

I think I will stick to TUG. I was out on Wyndham FB group and offered my opinion on valuation of points and use for airlines tickets etc. Best use of points, blah, blah blah. You know the drill.

I got a post "Scold much".

OK, guess you don't need my opinion and advice over there.

I will stick to TUG. Love you crazy bunch. We can agree to disagree, but I don't think I have ever been told I was scolding someone.
Sandy,
Don't give up on posting in that FB forum. It was one pissy lady that called you out and not for a good reason. Have read your posts over there and they are good information. There are more Tuggers that lurk and post over there than people realize. Have gotten PM's from people asking me followup questions because the FB forum is significantly more "flowery" than TUG. However, TUG is a little more "forthright" sometimes than people can tolerate.

Neither of those statements are intended to be critical, of either forum. Both serve a useful purpose and in the end, it's still owners trying to help other owners. Clearly, many are less experienced than the owners here in TUG. Hence, they kinda need us (more than we need them). Have personally gotten verbal smacks from owners in both forums and have learned to get zen about the process. These are online forums. it's part of the risk we take to be honest and openly vocal about truths as we know them and learn new stuff when it comes our way.

there are a few like that, its extremely frustrating to watch people post that they "just bought BG for XXXXX dollars"...and the not only no mention of rescission and resale...but actual deleting of posts and banning of folks who do mention it to them.
Brian,
Circle of influence.... yours is much MUCH bigger. Can only imagine the frustration you've experienced over the years of observing literally thousands of new TS owners that have passed through TUG, on their way from the developer purchase, trying to understand the mistake they made knowing rescind is too late. And yet TUG, the family legacy, is there to catch them, help them figure out the next step and send them off to with a more accurate understanding of their ownerships and how to best utilize.

When people finally get around to actually wanting to hear truly accurate and sound advice they eventually land here. The "responsible place" where honesty takes prescedence over tact. Personally prefer TUG over the FB forum but sometimes it's nice to observe Wyndham through less jaded eyes. But can only take that action in much smaller snippets. It wears my brain out navigating all that fluff.

TUG is solid. Something to be proud of.