• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

No 2018 update for II's TDI

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
While I'm not a huge believer that reserving and depositing a week that correlates to a high TDI week with II, I still look at it when deciding what week I want to reserve/deposit. If we're going to make an exchange, it's typically with our Las Vegas ownership and, we've known for a long time that March and/or early April weeks generally have slightly higher demand, along with some fall weeks in October.

It's Feb. and our plans include locking off our 3 bedroom Marriott unit and depositing both sides. So I've been looking at the TDI. So far it still lists 2015-2017 dates but nothing for 2018. I wonder if II is thinking about dumping it's TDI or if they're just that slow?

The long and short of it is that we've never had a problem exchanging our Las Vegas weeks, even before II began to publish the TDI. Recently we exchanged a Las Vegas week that was a 130 for a Palm Desert week that was a 150. We deposit early and request early, which I believe has more impact than the TDI. Still, it's something I've become accustomed to looking at when choosing a week for deposit and would feel more comfortable seeing some evidence of a weeks strength vs guessing.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Since the TDI is closely tied to the school schedule, and the seasons, I don't think it changes much.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since the TDI is closely tied to the school schedule, and the seasons, I don't think it changes much.

It does for floating holidays like Easter, Mardi Gras, or even July 4 with 26/27 or Thanksgiving with 46/47. You can convert it manually but it's pathetic to pay a fee to a company that is too lazy to update their chart to the next year.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
It does for floating holidays like Easter, Mardi Gras, or even July 4 with 26/27 or Thanksgiving with 46/47. You can convert it manually but it's pathetic to pay a fee to a company that is too lazy to update their chart to the next year.
They change them sometime. Before 2015, weeks 51 and 52 in Hawaii were around 130-140 TDI and now there are at 150 TDI.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
They change them sometime. Before 2015, weeks 51 and 52 in Hawaii were around 130-140 TDI and now there are at 150 TDI.

They presumably vary based on the prior year data, so in reality the projection for 2017 is really the 2015 actual.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
In my personal trading experience, TDI hasn't had much of an affect on my trading power. I was using a mid-range Desert Springs week though, so there probably isn't a significant difference between weeks. I try to get the good weeks but if I don't, I just try to stay away from the bad ones instead.

And I am not sure if you guys use RCI, but the online experience of II compared to RCI is very different. RCI is painful to use. II is much better, even with their limitations, IMHO.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8

I think this is probably correct in most places. What I'm looking at is Vegas. Vegas seems to be (ie: I could be wrong) a different animal. March is always reasonably strong but there is some decent fluctuation in weeks from one year to another. October also has a couple of weeks where the TDI spikes. I suspect these are more closely aligned with either a major sporting event (NASCAR week in March use to be the strongest along with college tournament weeks), large conventions or possibly spring break for particular geographic regions.

I'm not in any major hurry but I am surprised that II hasn't upgraded their TDI since we've already made one exchange for a week in 2018. I guess it's not high on their priority list or, more likely, very few people actually look at the TDI when thinking about vacation.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I don't look at the TDI as a "pinpoint" tool. If I want to reserve a holiday or event, I verify the date of the holiday/event and then reserve the best date for the event. I see the TDI as more of a seasonal tool.

frankf3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Wyndham points
Can you see a specific TDI value per week? I ask because when I look at II for a resort, I see a single TDI numeric value, then a chart by week showing "higher demand" and "higher availability". It seems obvious to me that if II weights a specific week, then reserving a week on the "highest demand" scale would be best. But I've never seen a TDI number for a specific week. By now you've figured out that I'm pretty much an II novice...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The TDI is a chart:

tdi-13.gif

frankf3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Wyndham points
Oh, I see....

Thanks Denise, I had not noticed (or maybe didn't pay attention to) the scale at the bottom. What does the number 13 in your example mean? I thought this was the TDI for a specific resort.

frankf3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Wyndham points
Here is the TDI for Marriott BeachPlace Towers (Ft. Lauderdale):

TDI-30.jpg

And the TDI for Marriott Grande Vista (Orlando):

TDI-5.jpg

So, do the values 5 and 30 mean the TDI for the areas is relatively low? I've seen much higher TDI's (like 50+ for Hilton Head, much higher than that for Marco Island). And Orlando is lower TDI than Ft. Lauderdale.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Oh, I see....

Thanks Denise, I had not noticed (or maybe didn't pay attention to) the scale at the bottom. What does the number 13 in your example mean? I thought this was the TDI for a specific resort.
The 13 is just the region number. It has no meaning from a TDI standpoint. You also can't use TDI to compare between regions. They are region specific. Something with a TDI of 100 may have higher trade power than something with a TDI of 125 in another region.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I don't look at the TDI as a "pinpoint" tool. If I want to reserve a holiday or event, I verify the date of the holiday/event and then reserve the best date for the event. I see the TDI as more of a seasonal tool.

I agree it's more of a seasonal than pinpoint tool, especially when looking to exchange into a region. It also fails to take into account that there are specific resorts that are more "in" demand than others. However, because Vegas tends to have a lot of inventory, I prefer to reserve the most "in demand" week available if I'm looking at depositing.

Now, how much of a drop off there is from a demand of 135 to 125 or even 100, who knows. It's just a tool I've used for help me assess what week I want to reserve if I know I'm going to deposit the week.

When all is said and done I really feel the TDI isn't all that great of a tool for assist with trade power when depositing. I feel that early deposit and early request plus quality of the resort deposited have a great deal more to do with strength when it comes to exchanging. I feel that the TDI's better value is in gauging the difficulty of exchanging into a region vs reserving a week to exchange out of a region.....but I like the hedge my bets anyway. ;)

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel that the TDI's better value is in gauging the difficulty of exchanging into a region vs reserving a week to exchange out of a region.....but I like the hedge my bets anyway. ;)

I agree with this for some areas but places like Williamsburg and Orlando it doesn't hold true. It is extremely easy to trade into Williamsburg for the summer but the TDI is off the chart.

Like Dioxide mentioned, TDI is not helpful comparing different regions because it really does not accurately take into account the true demand of a week or even supply vs demand. It is only a reflection of the demand fluctuations for only that region.

Also note that the actual TDI number can be much higher than 150 or much lower than 50 but II just doesn't show it. Take HHI or Williamsburg for example. They are regions of extreme low and high demand. Some of the 50 TDI weeks are certainly lower and some of the 150 weeks are certainly higher. On the other side is Orlando and Vegas. These are places that have fairly steady demand all year. Orlando only have 5 weeks that are 150+ and only 4 weeks lower than 95. Vegas only has 1 week at 150+ and no weeks lower than 95.